Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Mirena IUD?

Oh Sara, I do hope you don't need to get iron injections - I had the course of them (1 per week for 5 weeks) and still have the iron stain on my buttocks.

Of course, the cheap & nasty way to get iron levels checked is to nip into Red Cross - they will tell you what your levels are before taking blood!

I had mine inserted in June this year and had a few weeks of spotting afterwards. For the first 2 months, my period was slightly heavier than normal, and lasted longer (5-7 days instead of about 3-4) but now I don't really have a period at all. I didn't have a check up after having it out in though, but my Ob said just to call him if I had an problems. So far, I am loving it as I could never remember to take the pill, and I find this is better for me as I don't seem to get as bad PMT. I have had no cramps either.

Just wondering how much this costs, if a normal GP can put it in, and if it is covered by Medicare? Ta!

Oscar - It cost me $32. Apparently it used to cost around $300 so i think it must be covered by Medicare now. Not sure if a normaly GP can put them in. Maybe a GP Obstetrician. Family Planning puts them in.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

I am going to my OB/Gyn as he said that not all GP have the insurance to cover them for the insertion of the IUD. I guess like any doctors appointment it would be covered by medicare though.

I am getting mine in this Tuesday.

My ob/gyn did mine too. She has done tonnes and tonnes of them and I would want someone who knows what they are doing inserting it. I think it takes some experience to get the strings right etc.

The Mirena itself is PBS, so the same cost as a script, eg the same as 3 months worth of BCP. Then you also pay the out of pocket expense for your ob/gyn, but you can probably get it done through family planning for medicare only (not sure).

I had mine put in on the 26th of Oct and so far I really like it, I only spotted very slightly for about 4 days and nothing since I have had only a small amount of cramping and I did get a lower back ache that lasted for about half a day and thats about it so far,
    I love that I will not have to worry about contraception for 5 years its great as I fel pg with my DS on this pill cause I always took it here and there LOL.

I had it fitted by my Ob/gyn and he did a perfect job I only felt a slight discomfort when he put the tube thingie in other than that I was suprised when he said thats it all done hehe, it cost me $30.70 for the mirena itself as its covered on PBS and for my appointment it was $107.00 but I got back $102.50 of that as we are over the safety net but if your not you still get about $80 back out of that amount, I have to go back in a couple of weeks for a 4 week check up to see how it is going and make sure all is well and the strings can easily be located etc and that there is no perferation,

My Obgyn said he had 2 perferations in 10 years and he has put in alot of these so the odds were pretty good. I am not so sure I would trust a regular GP eaither I think when you compare the cost of the pill to the total cost of the marina including your appointments its much less considering it guves you 5 years.

No headaches and I think I cold almost say it has made them better as I was getting headaches alot but we will see what happens when AF is due an a week and a half.

Relle how did you go???

JaneD Guest

I've had my mirena for about 2 years now and I'm really happy with it.

I'm wondering what anyone has experienced on removal of it? I'm planning to start TTC#1 early next year after I get married so will have it taken out shortly before the wedding but now I'm worried I'll have heavy bleeding or something. I haven't had AF for at least the last year, just a day or two spotting.

i got my IUD put in last tuesday (20/11) and i had horrible cramps after it was put in for about 6 hours, some bleeding (TMI looked like lochia after about 4 weeks...) and that went for about 3 days... now nothing! im due for ovulation this weekend, and i'll see how my period goes... my mums involves her going for a wee, wiping, and thats it... i hope mines the same!!

I love mine!!

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Well I had mine in 4 weeks ago now and had some cramping for the first few hours, no bleeding for a few days, but have been spotting bright red blood everyday since. I have a 6 week check up on the 11th December, so I am hoping that the bleeding has stopped by then.

I actually forgot to ask what is involved in taking it out, can anyone fill me in?

Relle, apparently it's very easy - they just pull it out by the string. My ob assured me it's very quick and easy.

my dr didnt say anhing about a 6w check up... are you meant to have one??

I did Katerina. She just did an internal exam and u/s to check the position. She showed me that I had ovulated too - made me clucky LOL.

I still have mixed feelings about mine, I think that my AF is longer, not sure if it is related but it usually takes about 10-12 days now, it was about 7days before TMI. It works as an effective contraception, because of the amount of down time, because of the bleeding

Actually RH, I have found the same thing. But it is also a lot lighter so it kind of balances out. But I do hope the length of AF shortens, as you say there is no point using a contraceptive device if you can't DTD anyway!

JaneD Guest

From what I've read, getting it removed is fine. It's the after effects that some women have experienced that now worry me slightly. I never really asked about this when it was put in, my gyn said it comes out and you can conceive pretty much straight away.

mine has gone longer too so a very effective contraceptive!! ive had it since sept so will keep a few more months to see if it gets better

My Ob said that your periods can become longer for upto 6 months then they should begin to slow down and become shorter and then 1 in 4 women does not have a period again untill it is removed,

he said removal is very fast and can be done at a regular appointment and takes less than 2 minutes,

my spotting and periods are all over the place atm but my ob said it was something to be expected so will give it time, I have also noticed taht I am no where near as cranky or angry at that time of the month anymore and deffinately less painfull so all in all I am very happy with it so far and have had it since oct ( I think LOL )

yeah you ae supposed to have it checked after 6 weeks to be sure it is still in place and protecting you, and make sure nothing has gone wrong.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast