Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Mirena IUD?

Hi Girls,

RE: Libido - We i have actually noticed an INCREASE!!! Ofcourse because i've had a increase DP has had decrease!

I also had a few other issues going on before i had the Mirena in aswell. I was quite a hairy person and was overweight. Well i have noticed the hair is falling out and i am starting to slim up a bit! Quite happy about that acutally!

DeeSue Guest

Hi, I am new to this site and internet. So great to get some actual info. I am a 52 female from Perth who has an appointment to have an internal camera examination and Mirena inserted at King Edward Hospital, Perth in 3 weeks, but am undecided. I had been having heavy bleeding for 3 weeks, now just spotting since beginning of Jan. and have just started menopause (so the blood tests say). I am very nervous re the IUD, possible complications, hospitals, and anaesthetics. Any advice would be fantastic.

DeeSue Guest

Hi, I am a 52 year old and just starting menopause - so the blood test says. I had heavy bleeding and have been told to have the Mirena inserted at King Edward Hosp in Perth. I have an appointment to have it inserted in 3 weeks. I am unsure. Any advice? Thanks.

Hi there DeeSue, as I'm not in your situation I don't really have any advice for you. The procedure was a bit uncomfortable but not painful. I'm not really sure of the reasons you are getting the Mirena, I have it for contraception.

Hi there DeeSue, I found the insertion a bit uncomfortabl. My Dr did it without the local but TBH I think that the needle for the local would have been equally painful.
    My ob just did it in her rooms so I didn't go to hospital for it.
    I haven't had any complications with it. I went for the checkup at 6 weeks and haven't thought about it since.
    Good luck

Oh I forgot (thanks Chloe - it was a while ago!), I did have the needle with the local and that really didn't hurt. The insertion didn't hurt, more like pressure, but I did have some minor cramping afterwards (think that's normal).

paradise lost Guest

I had no pain having mine put in. My mum died of cervical/endometrial cancer and i would definitely have the Mirena fitted when i am perimenopausal to protect me from endometrial cancers. The risks are something only you can decide on. Because there is a family history of endometrial cancer for me, and i have had a Mirena fitted without complications it would be definitely worth it to me.

Bx

Mine fell out! I think....

I went to the Dr because I had a sudden heavy period and when I got an ultrasound they couldn't find it! I still haven't got my detailed report and I doubt that I'll have time to do so for a few weeks.

I had to buy condoms

I'm planning on getting another one put in because up until it vanished it was great.

Well i have been diognosed with ammorhea(sp??)....

Went to the Dr's last week cause my period was 3 days late after having 2 cycles arrive bang on 28 days. (I got Brent to insert a couple of fingers and have a feel around and he could feel the threads.) Dr sent me for an u/s to check positioning and blood tests to check hormone levels.

Well everything came back fine. Mirena in the same place, hormones fine. They just said that i am in the 30-40% of women who develop early ammorhea.

To be honest, i am not happy about this. I feel more comfortable having a small bleed every month. I feel like i am keeping something in there thats meant to be coming out.

The dr did explain how the mirena hormones work though. Apprently it tricks your body into thinking that its constantly in the first days of your cycle. ie Lining of the uterus "clean". Still makes me wonder though.....

Dach - OMG!!! So you obviously did'nt feel it come out???? Oh gosh...condoms!!! Best to be safe i spse!!

Sara, I loved not having my period. I don't think that it's healthy to have your period too often. Modern western women menstruate more than any other women in history. In earlier times repeated pregnancies and extended breastfeeding restricted the number of periods we had so our bodies aren't really designed for regular monthly bleeds for so long.

paradise lost Guest

Sara i still have light bleeding twice a month...

Want one of mine?

Dach - Yeh i actually read that not getting your period while on the Mirena has shown to increase your HB levels!!! I could'nt believe it. All my life they have told us that you are only meant to lose a teaspoon on blood whlie on your period. How can a blood loss that small affect your HB levels!!! Odd...

Hoobley - Ummmmmm.......Nah i'm right thanks!

paradise lost Guest

Sara who told you that?

Normal bloodloss on AF is 25-80ml. A teaspoon is 5ml - so i guess if you lost the minimum you could lose 5ml/day? Is that what you meant?

I used a diva cup before i got Mirena put in, and i lost about 80ml most months (the cup has a measuring scale on it so you can see how much is in it) - i used to fill it full twice on day 1 (40ml) then full once on day 2 (20ml) then just about 5ml/day for 3 or 4 more days. So 75-80ml in total.

A normal blood donation is lots - 470ml-ish - though you can only do that once every 4 months - 4 of my periods would be a loss of 320ml... Never thought about all this before

Bx

Hoobley - Teachers told us that. I am pretty sure i have heard it again in my adult life. I never believed cause i've always had a history of heavy period since they started at the age of 10.

I am pretty sure they said teaspoon. It could've been tablespoon though. But i know for sure, i was told, it was one or the other. It also could've been per day aswell. Its been a long time since i've been at school!!

How do those Diva Cups work??? Whats the point of them???

My periods arrived today.....17 days late!!!

What is happening here???

paradise lost Guest

There is a thread somewhere about menstrual cups hun, i'll have a hunt later and post a link (about to go swimming).

They're basically a rubber or silicon cup you wear inside your vagina which catches the blood. You then remove, empty, wash and re-insert it a few times a day (3 or 4 - less than a pad or a tampon for me anyway).

They come in 2 sizes, B(efore baby) and A(fter baby) though my B still fits me even though i've had DD. I don't use it all that much now because the suction can pull the IUS out if you're careless (you have to break the suction before you remove which is fine but no good if you're in a hurry) and i barely bleed enough to need a pad, let alone a cup!

Bx

Oh gosh!!! I don't know if i could wear one of them!!!

I don't think my periods would be heavy enough anyways. Or long enough for that matter.

I got my periods on Saturday and they finished lastnight. So i bled for 2 1/2 days.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678