Thread: D&C

Default D&C

Hi ladies,

I hope it is appropriate for me to post this thread...

I was given the heartbreaking news last week that our little bub's heartbeat had stopped, and that baby was only 6w5d (should have been between 9-10w). I guess I knew in my heart that this would be the outcome as it was my third scan, and bub's heartbeat was very slow the week before, slow growth and blood levels not doubling...

I am booked in for a D&C tomorrow, and was wondering if anyone has any advice/ comments on what to expect???

I made the decision to opt for the D&C as emotionally I feel this is best for me - nearly a week after we found out our little angel had grown wings, and (sorry TMI alert) aside from some light brown spotting and one small amount of bright red blood on Saturday, it doesnt look like baby is going to make her (pretty sure baby was a girl - mothers intuition?!) way out anytime soon...

It is really good that there are these forums to seek support during these horribly sad times.

Thanks,
    Em

Hi Em,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, I haven't had a D&C so unfortunately I can't give advice but I can offer a big squishy hug instead xxx

hi, i'm so sorry for your loss big hugs to you.

I had a d&c with my first loss and a 'natural' with my 2nd loss.

With the d&c, I had to get gels inserted to make the cervix ripen. It was all over and done with in about 20 to 30 mins (sorry can't quite remember). I remember having a little bit of pain after the procedure, kind of like very strong period pain and quite a bit of bleeding, but the pain only lasted a day or two and the bleeding a couple of weeks, the pain is normal (so i was told). A heat pack and some panadol will help. I remember they gave me something to calm me down because i started hyperventilating before the procedure as I was extremly emotional, but those drugs were a godsend

I definately wish i opted for a d&c second time around, because yes it is extremly emotional to go through that.

Try to relax (i know how hard it can be) and remember your heat pack for after the procedure, or the hospital can provide you with one.

Once again i am so sorry for your loss

I'm sorry for your loss

I can't guarantee that we'll have the same experience, but I'll tell you what happened with mine a couple of months ago. I was booked in for the Friday morning, and told not to eat or drink from 10pm Thursday. Apparently that was wrong, I should've continued to drink until 8am Friday morning, so triple check that part with the hospital! I was at a day surgery clinic, so I sat in the waiting room for about an hour before I was called up. Then I sat with a nurse who ran through my allergies. I was measured for a pair of circulation stockings, given a gown and asked to strip off in the cubicle and put the gown on, and ask the nurse to do it up coz it had hundreds of ties at the back. Once I was changed I was given a bed, and the nurse digitally inserted 2 small tablets (misprostol) onto my cervix, to soften it for the procedure. This caused pretty bad cramping, they gave me panadol and unlimited hot water bottles. I was in the bed for 4 or 5 hours I think, and then taken into surgery at about 3pm. The anaesthetist had a lot of trouble getting into my veins because I was so dehydrated, and honestly, I found that part the most traumatic. That's why I said to triple check how long you can drink water for, and if you're gonna be waiting for a while they should also put you on a saline drip - mine had been mentioned but never given to me, and I didn't realise I needed to chase it up.

Once they got the vein, it must've been 10 seconds before I was under, and it felt like I had blinked and woken up in Recovery. I won't lie, the pain when I woke up was really bad, worse than I have experienced before. I had my own lovely nurse who kept topping me up with drugs, but it didn't seem to do anything. Finally I was allowed to go back to my husband, and I laid in bed for a while and the nurse gave me some lemonade and sandwiches. Probably an hour after I came back from Recovery a nurse came around and gave me some pamphlets about miscarriage and loss, and also gave me a small plush heart, which had been made by volunteers. I started crying again, and she gave me the biggest hug When I calmed down, she asked me if I felt able to walk and get changed, which I did. Once I was changed I was told to sit in the loungeroom for a few minutes, but because the pain was so bad, I kept walking laps around the room. The nurse came and asked me to please try and be still, because I was only making it hurt more by walking. So I sat down, and within 10 minutes all the pain was gone, and it didn't come back. I think I was just being stubborn and tense, but once I relaxed I realised there was nothing to be tense about.

I wore a pad for a couple of days after, just in case, but I didn't have any extra bleeding. My baby was 6 weeks when it died, but my D&C wasn't until 7 weeks later, so I had already had a LOT of bleeding, so your bleeding will be different. I was told not to have a bath/spa, swim in the pool or have sex for at least 1 week, and if I started passing clots and getting bad cramps to go back to the ER.

Emotionally it took me another couple of weeks to get over it. It was my first D&C, and I just felt so empty afterwards The best advice I could give is, drink plenty of water, take a book or a few magazines to pass the time, get your partner to take the day off work, and take it easy on yourself for as long as you need to afterwards. You're going through a traumatic time, it's an intimate procedure, don't be surprised if you're feeling emotional and vulnerable for a few days afterward

Em I'm so sorry for your loss

I'm so sorry for your loss Em I'm not sure how much I can help. I've had 3 natural miscarriages, 2 of them were chem pregnancies so they were just like getting AF, one was at 6w5d, and an emergency d&c at 8w4d. I was bleeding lightly for a few days prior, and confirmed it was a m/c, when i started bleeding heaps and was rushed to the ED, and an emergency d&c was done. I was under a g/a, i don't know if that's always the case. I woke up in quite a lot of pain, and had to stay for a night to be monitered. Heat packs, hot water bottles and painkillers were a godsend. Make sure that you take paracetemol over ibuprofen, as ibuprofen will thin your blood and cause you to bleed more. And as Keike said, avoid baths, sex, tampons etc for at least 1 week...i was told 2. Because my d&c was rushed, my cervix got a little ripped and is now scarred in a few places. Also, I ended up contracting PID even though I stuck to the guidlines, simply because it was a rushed procedure and my cervix etc was cut a little, which became infected Not trying to scare you Mine was very rushed, you will be given time to dilate etc. I hope everything goes well for you and again, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thanks you so much ladies for your hugs and sharing your experiences... I am sure that it is still difficult to reflect on your losses too

I am usually one to avoid anytype of medical intervention if possible, however I am pretty sure I have made the right decision for me about this.

I will try and stay strong, and no doubt will be back in this thread to share my experience and look forward to a happier future with you all soon...

Em x

Aw , it's an awful feeling xoxoxo

I didn't have too much pain (bubs gone at 8w3d, d&c done at 12 wks), my tummy was a little sore. It felt like I was in and out straight away, the staff were lovely and caring. I was a bit funny for a day or two but fine after that.

I wouldn't have considered doing it naturally myself. If things weren't happening after that amount of time...yanno. At least it's over quickly. xoxo

Embo..

I had a D&C after i found out my baby had died at 6 weeks at my 9week scan...I also opted for a D&C because i was really upset i had been carrying around my baby 3 weeks after it had passed and i just wanted it over with. He said i had to wait 3 days before my op and i was just gutted. It really panicked me i had to wait 3 more days, i was just a mess....i didnt want to touch or hold my stomach. The next day i started to bleed so i rang my ob and he fitted me in for that operation that day. I was so relieved. I waited an hour and went in for my op. it didnt take long and then i was back in recovery and had some sandwiches. I didnt have much pain what so ever and i never had much blood either. Just a spot here and there. I felt fine by the next day. it was just the emotional side of things.

I had my period 28 days after the operation, i had spotting for quiet a few days before that, then quiet a heavy period. Now i am on my second cycle and i am 3 days late so far...i am hoping its pregnancy but im not really sure.

I hope everything goes ok!!!!

I am very sorry for your loss. I had a d&c after both of my m/c as it didn't appear my body would completely m/c on its own both times. I also made the decision to have d&c as i personally needed to start my healing emotionally and i felt i needed to have the m/c complete to do this. I didn't have pain after the first d&c but I did after the second which the nurse advised me it was normal after second pg and to do with the uterus contracting (doesn't happen after first pg). I hope you are doing ok, as well as you can anyway. It is a very difficult time so sending you big hugs. Good luck for your ttc journey.

sending you strength to get through today.

I've had a natural m/c and a d&c and both were very emotional for me.

Thanks again to all you lovely ladies who took the time to respond to my thread with you personal stories, or just to send a hug!

Melster – any update on AF? Sending lots of babydust your way!!!

So I thought I should share my story, let you all know how I went, and to inform any other ladies that might stumble across this post and find it useful.

I went into hospital at 8.45am. Started with paperwork and waited in the waiting room for about 10mins until I was called into the day procedure unit by a beautiful nurse (who had also been through a miscarriage) who took my blood pressure, did more paperwork, answered my questions and gave me tissues (was totally emotional!). I was told that there was about a 30min wait until I was able to go into theatre so DH and I were taken into a room with big comfy recliner lounges and I was tucked in with warm blankets and watched some TV (well it was on, couldn’t tell you what show we were watching). Eventually I was taken through to get in to a fashionable gown and hideous paper undies and was put on a bed to be wheeled into theatre. Said goodbye to DH at this point. The lovely nurse gave me a kiss on the forehead as she handed me over to the theatre staff.

Had a small wait in the theatre room, until my Dr and the anaesthetist came out for a quick consult and my drip was put in. Luckily the anaesthetist got a vein first go (I am a total sook with needles but have had a billion lately so am getting a bit better!). I was given a little something which made me relax as I was taken into the theatre for my op. Transferred beds and was given my general and next thing I know I was in the recovery room. Felt sick as I always do from GA and had bad cramping. The nurse said that the procedure went well and my Dr drew a smiley face on my hand! Was given some pain meds and after a little while was taken back out to the day unit where my husband was waiting. Was still in a little room at this stage having my obs checked regularly, and was fed some more meds through my drip (maxalon etc).

I was in a fair bit of pain at this stage, really uncomfortable and had bad period type pain in my tummy and lower back. Another lovely nurse (who was really empathetic and told me that she has had two miscarriages but has two lovely kids now!) gave me a little wash and dressed me and I was taken back to the lounge for some sandwiches and lemonade. About 20mins later my drip was removed and was given some more paperwork including a brochure on losing a baby in early pregnancy which was nice, and I was off (about 1pm)!

For the couple of days following the op I had cramps and bleeding (varying from old brown blood, to red blood and a reasonable size clot). I have only been spotting some brown blood for the past few days. Problem is I have been having horrendous pain during the night – sharp pain in my tummy and horrible cramping in my lower back and upper legs – so bad that I haven’t been able to sleep. Went to the GP on Monday and was given antibiotics (think I have a urinatory tract infection) so hopefully it will clear soon. Slept through last night so hopefully that’s all it is and it will get better really soon! Have a post-op check up at my Obs clinic on Tuesday so hopefully all will be ok there.

I am really glad that I opted to go private even though it cost about $1000 – the care that I have received through this horrible time has been wonderful – the Drs and nurses have been great and I have been able to phone the Dr surgery and hospital a few times when I have been worried about pain/ bleeding.

Went back to work on Monday after a week off – trying to get back into the swing of things… Still have some emotional times but trying to be strong!

I am also really grateful for the support through this site – I have wonderful friends and family, but it is really good to be able to talk to people on here that have been through the same thing!

DH and I are talking about when we will try again for bub… still not sure what we’ll do…

We have sent our form off to name a star for our angel – cant wait to be able to look into the stars and see our little angel shining down on us!

Hope all is going well for you all!

Em x

Embo...im glad everything went as well as can be expected...and good luck with TTC in the furture!!!!!!!! I agree, my hospital was fantastic when i had the d&c....

I ended up getting my period....but i am now on my next cycle and will be trying in a few days...so this will be our month...

Thank you for this topic, I had a scan on the 11/11/2010 and was told bubs was 7w3d with no heartbeat by my calc i should have been 13w. I have been told to wait 7-10day before having another scan to see if bubs has grown or if a heatbeat can be detected,deep down im pretty sure our little tiger is gone.(my 3yo son said mummy had a tiger not a baby in her tummy). So now i have to wait till the 19/11/2010 before the next scan (mums birthday) Mentally the wait is killing me but i was so worried about the baby leaving me but this post has eased my nerves a little so thanks. I am really sorry for your loss.
    Do they do any test to find out why the baby heart stops?
    I was really depressed a few weeks ago about 5 to be exact so going by my dates im pretty sre thats when i lost bubs.