Thread: First OB appointment after D&C

Default First OB appointment after D&C

Hi everyone. I experienced a missed miscarriage at 12 weeks. I found out at my first ultrasound that my baby had stopped growing at 8 weeks. It was devastating and I had a D&C that same day. I am scheduled to see the OB who did the operation for a follow up appointment soon and am wondering what to expect. This was my first pregnancy and miscarriage and I'm not sure what the next steps are. Will he do an internal check up, blood tests, anything? Any advice or past experiences you may be able to share will be most appreciated.
    I am so relieved to have found this site.

Hi Bettyblue,

I have the same appointment tomorrow arvo! I lost mine at 7 weeks and also my first. I'd also like to know what to ask?

Hi Bettyblue

Sorry to hear about your loss:hugs: Hope you are feeling ok..

At my follow up app following my d and c, my obst just sat down with me and had a bit of a chat about how I was going (feeling, bleeding etc)..and talked about what to expect in the next few weeks (ie..period to return)..and that after that we could try again to get pregnant and that there wouldn't be any reason why I wouldn't get pregnant easily next time and go onto having a healthly, normal pregnancy..He also spoke about the lab results of bubs..
    So no bloods, or really any hands on stuff, just chatting (and filling out medical certificates because I still couldn't face going back to work)..
    That was my experience anyway!

Lots of Love.

Hi BettyBlue /Sophia
    I am sorry to hear about your losses.
    I had a missed miscarriage at 10 weeks. At the follow up after the D&C the OB just asked if my period had come back and how I was feeling. I had been ok but when I got to his rooms and started speaking to him I got very upset. Be prepared for this.
    My OB also said there wasn't anything to stop us from trying again straight away. I had not internal examination or blood tests.
    I hope you are both ok - my miscarriage was 5 months ago and I still have difficult days. The TTC journey is certainly a difficult one sometimes.

Bettyblue & Sophia,

I can't give you any advice but I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry you lost your babies. Thinking of you and I know that you will receive wonderful support from these wonderful women on BB.

Thank you for your replies.
    Sophia, i wish you all the best for your appointment today. If you have time and feel up to it please let me know how you go. I wish we weren't here together!
    I have put off my appointment for a few weeks. AF hasn't come yet and I know it will be too upsetting going back to the OB's rooms where I had to hear about how I would need a D&C. Thanks for the advice Milson, I think i need to be a bit stronger before I go.
    Thank you to all you lovely people who took the time to help me out.

Red face After the appointment

Hello to all and BettyBlue in particular,

I had my appointment today and managed to get through without shedding a tear! Unbelieveable...

Basically the obstetrician said he had run all the appropriate tests on the "remains" after the d and c and everything was normal. Weird, I didn't know they ran these tests and I'm really glad as it is reassuring to know there isn't anything major that caused the mc. Turns out to simply be a blighted ovum, as he put it "It's just bad luck and your number came up". That might sound harsh but it was also reassuring to me. He was encouraging to just try again and see him in a few weeks when i'm pregnant (that simple?).

I told him about my horrible depression since the mc and how my GP was keen for me to start anti-depressants - he was not encouraging me to do this, rather saying the hormonal drop and huge loss was enough to give anyone depression and I just needed to grieve and work through it. Strangely this was also encouraging - yes we go through hell having a miscarriage - let us scream and rant and rave and carry on - it's normal!

I asked him questions about my polycystic ovaries and whether that may have caused the mc and he was adamant it didn't have anything to do with it.

So I've just been to the chemist to get the thermometer to start charting the temp (never done it before). Hope to have a good chance when my cycles start behaving normally again. Ever in hope, feeling more optimistic that we will eventually have a little baby join our family some day.

Smile Ooops

By the way I forgot to mention that the obs/gyn said that there is a higher chance of my falling pregnant as I've just had a d and c! Isn't that optimistic for all of us out there in the same position.

Hi Sophie,

I am glad your appointment went ok. It has been 3 weeks since my D & C and I have my check up appointment on the 6th of March. I didn't really know what to expect, so I was very pleased to read your post. As awful a time we have had, it always helps to hear that it was just a "mother nature" thing and nothing that we "did". Still doesn't stop the grief and depression, but helps to know that it more than likely is a one off thing. LOVED to hear that they told you that we have a higher chance of falling pregnant after a D&C. That really has made my day, so THANK YOU Sophie for adding that little bit in for us. I wish you all the best with your TTC and may we all have 's that stick next time. Love and hugs to you all.

Anita xxx