Thread: Length of time between miscarriage & D & C

Joy3 Guest

Default Length of time between miscarriage & D & C

Hi- it will be a week tomorrow since we discovered no heart beat on our little one. My doctor referred me Thurs last week to hospital to have D & C done, now a week later I ring the hospital to say that I will find out tomorrow what category I am and when my appt will be with the gynae. How long is the normal time between miscarriage and the D & C getting done? I've been bleeding since Friday- and seems to be almost finished.

Hi Joy,
    Usually they try and do a D&C almost straight away. This helps the Mother pschologically so that things just don't drag on. If you are going through the public system you will be categorised and go onto that category's waiting list.
    I would go to your gp and request an ultrasound. This way they will be able to see if there is any need for a D&C. Usually D&C isn't necessary in early miscarriage. If you are bleeding and you have passed clots most times the miscarriage is complete. However an ultrasound will tell you if there is anything left in your uterus. It is likely there won't be if you have been bleeding.
    I am thinking of you

Joy,

Im so sorry for your loss sweety. I wish you didnt have to go through this.

Am I reading correctly in that you havent had your d&c yet? And you have been bleeding? You should ring the dr who referred you and tell them whats happening, you should have had your d&c by now. With my last m/c I didnt need a d&c andI just bled out naturally but I did have a follow up internal scan to ensure all pg tissue was gone.

I can only imagine how you must feel right now, so you should insist on the d&c asap so that you can begin to heal both physically and emotionally. While the pain never goes, it does get easier.

take care and let us know how you go sweety
    Lisa

Hi Joy. I am so sorry for your loss
    A week is a long time to wait for the D&C it seems to me. How far along the pregnancy were you when you had your loss?
    If you are fairly early (like before 8w or so) this bleeding may have removed everything, but if you are a bit further along, then there still may be some retained product.
    I started bleeding on a Tuesday, but it was only very light brown spotting. I was booked in on the Friday for a D&C but was bumped as non-essential. I ended up coming in on the Sat and getting it done - so for me it was about 4 days I spose?
    But the baby had been gone for over 2 weeks by the time I had the proceudre, so there was every indication it wasn't going to leave my body itself.
    I also found my bleeding post-curette very odd. It would be heavy for a day, then next to nothing for 1-2 days. I would think it was all over, then all of a sudden it would strike up again.

As I'm not sure how far along you were, I will say I hope you dont need the procedure, but if you were further along, I dont thin kits very nice of them to leave you hanging on for so long.

I hope everything is OK tomorrow - and again, I am sorry for your loss.

Joy3 Guest

Default No D & C

yup- thats correct.
    Was 8 1/2 weeks. I saw my GP on Tuesday and he was pretty disgusted at the length of time, but still wanted to proceed. So find out tomorrow what category I'm in and then will get an appointment after that. I would assume miscarriage is a high category but not sure about anything any more!

Joy - what State are you in?? Can you just present yourself to the emergency ward of a womens hopsital? And tell them you were waiting to have a d&c but youve started bleeding and you want some urgent medical attention?

Or call your dr again - im sure there is something they can do to get you up the list.

Hi Joy,
    I don't really know what to say. I really don't understand why he isn't ordering an u/s. Could you go to the hospital that you will have the D&C at? I would go (- mid afternoon is a good time it is always quieter around school pick up/drop off). I would explain that you have had bleeding and are booked in for a D&C.
    The reason a D&C is done is that retained tissue *can* cause infection to develop. However, given that you are bleeding and have been doing so for a while now this would seem unlikely.
    I wish I could do more to help. I am really sorry that you are having to deal with this as well as the loss of your baby. :hugs:

Unfortunately miscarriage isn't a high priority - probably because things will happen naturally themselves if left alone. Mind you - if you developed an infection or had complications, they would probably put you up the list a little.
    I remember the feeling of being bumped one day, and then being sooooo stressed the next day. I was even told to see how many police cars were outside the emergency ward when I arrived as that would determine whether there were lots of emergency surgeries on or not. Luckily I got into theatre about 9-10am or so?

Can I suggest going in and crying, wailing, doing whatever you have to to suggest you just aren't coping with it? Psychologically they might do something for you then.
    I am really sorry, at least your GP is on your side.

Lisa and I posted together. I agree with what Lisa is saying. You DO need an U/s and you DO need to be seen ASAP.
    It is hard to be assertive and strong though when you are going through something so distressing... If you can muster up the strength I would definitely present to the hospital.

Joy3 Guest

Physically- ok. The worst bleeding was over the weekend. Not crampy or anything anymore. Now its just sort of intermittent. I've been on antibiotics the whole time, so hopefully no infection. Feeling very tired- but its not like its an emergency- if you know what I mean. My body is doing some weird things (eg bit of chest pain, soreness under arms etc) not sure if that is a reaction to the miscarriage or anxiety presenting itself in a variety of ways. To be honest- the more I stress about it the worst I feel, so think that the smart thing to do is probably just wait till tomorrow find out when my appt is and take it from there.
    I feel like if I went to emergency- they'd probably just say really wait for the gynae appt- cos not much they can do.

Joy,
    I don't believe they would say to wait for your gynae's appointment. I think they would examine you and give you an u/s. Then you will know one way or another what is happening. When you present to hospital you are then charted so it is a little more efficient. If the attending doctor feels that you do require a D&C then he/she can arrange it. This way you will be seen by a surgeon/gynae much quicker. I have worked in the system and I know that it is much quicker this way... I hope that helps...

Oh Joy

Im sorry that you feel this way - but I guess you know your body better than anyone, and if you feel like you dont need to rush off to the hospital today then you dont have to. But if they give you the run around again tomorrow then I would suggest that you be more assertive and insist that they at least to an internal U/S to ensure all ok in the uterus. Dont leave it too long sweets.

Good luck and let us know what happens when you call tomorrow
    Lisa

How are things going Joy? I hope you are feeling better :hugs:

How are things going Joy?
    I am thinking of you...

How are you JOy? Please let us know. I have been wondering after you...

chickibabe Guest

so sorry for your loss,
    I had a miscarriage three weeks ago, i was 9 weeks along but our first ultrasound showed us something was very wrong. I had the ultrasound on a monday and began to spot wednesday afternoon. As this was my first i was very scared and contacted the womans clinic where i had had the ultrasound, they said just wait and see and if the spotting gets heavier go to hospital. well thursday morning it all happened, nothing can prepare you for the emotion of seeing you lose your baby. My partner rushed me to the hospital where we waited all day for a ultrasound to confirm we had lost our baby. I was sent home as they all said it was a complete miscarriage so i wouldnt need a D & C. Last monday i became very ill and it was determined that i had a infection caused by product still in the womb, i had a D & C on tuesday morning and was kept in until wednesday morning. I had slight bleeding but nothing to serious. On saturday morning i woke to find heavy bleeding again, and returned to the hospital to be checked out. They couldn't tell me why i was bleeding again but gave me antibolics.
    I am so disappointed the hospital didnt make me have a D & C while i was misscarrying as it just brings the loss but again and again.
    But we are doing ok, it has been hard for me and my partner, but we are getting through it and we will try again as soon as we can.

Chickibabe - big hugs, I waited weeks and the miscarriage didn't happen, even though we knew our angel was gone. I ended up having the D and C and was glad it didnt happen naturally as I just wanted it over with. Im so sorry you had to go through this traumatic experience. Best wishes for your TTC journey

chickibabe Guest

thank you