Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current rate?

? have to consult the road map on my stomach...

Default Current rate?

Hi. Just wondering what people pay for babysitters these days... having a friend's daughter look after DS while I go to physio appt and she says she doesn't want money, but I feel like I'm just 'using' her if I don't give her something iykwim

How old is she? Around here the going rate would be $15 - $25 per hour, depending circumstances etc.

My brother pays our niece $20 an hour and she is only 16!! i wish i could have made that kind of money at that age.

$20 OMG!!! I'd do it for $20!!! LOL

I used to charge a family $5 an hour when I was 16, (althought that was 13 years ago. No wonder they'd be gone for 7 hours or more at a time!!!

Celsie. xoxox

Enchanted Guest

I used to get paid per night. One girl I babysat I only used to look after for a few hours and I got $20 for the night. Another group of people I babysat for paid me $10 an hour and there were a few more that were a bit higher. If you feel bad not paying her and she says she doesnt want money why don't you buy her a voucher for a cd store or something like that after she has babysat a few times?

i pay an organisation $15/hr for the first three hours then $10 or $12/hr thereafter - min of 3 hours - so the carer would get less than this by the time the org takes their cut

Jaspen what organisation is that? I would love to be able to get some permanent babysitting but its just too exxy for us, the cheapest I've found is 18/h day 16/h @ night.

Yep, between 18/20 per hour... or 15 per hour if they are sleeping (the kids I mean). This is why we rarely get sitters

Cai - it is Nans and Grans but is only local to Townsville as far as I know so not much use to you in Melbourne I'm afraid.

By underlining organisation I suppose I was comparing it to a friend or relatives teenager for which I'd expect to pay less. (not that I'm keen on school age teenagers babysitting my kids as a general rule at this stage)

Even at these rates I use them rarely except for funcitons we have to attend without children but on the occassions have used them found them excellent.
    Last edited by jaspen; March 17th, 2008 at 03:29 PM.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

It's $16 for a junior, $18 experienced and $20 is more like someone who has extra quals like childcare or teaching - thats what I have noticed in Melbourne for the last 3 years. I only have one day a week but its regular and I wouldn't be happy with a nanny less than $18 because everytime I have agreed to a cheaper nanny I haven't been happy with them, so I dont bother. $18 nannies are just right from what I have used, our 2 longest term nannies (over 1 year) have been $18! $20 for special occasions!!!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Yep, that sounds right for Melbourne Kelly. I don't use Juniors. Preferably I like my sitters to be mums themselves although we had a 27yo non mum last year but she was a teacher... People tell us that we could get our 13yo DD to sit the boys while we go out for a meal... but...nooooo. Sorry, that's not going to happen until she's at least 15.... and even then it will be only when we are in the same suburb.

? have to consult the road map on my stomach...

Wow, what a variety, and I can't get over the effects of inflation since I reckon my parents paid our babysitters about $20 for the evening!... I might talk to her mum about it... she's 15, mum is a midwife and they live about 5 houses down the street so her mum is close by, plus I only need her for about half an hour or even less if DH gets his bum into gear and leaves work on time to get home by the time of my appt! Like all of you, certainly wish I'd earned that sort of money babysitting!

For what it is worth, I have a girlfriend who has a 15 yr old daughter who looks after my 6yr old sometimes. The agreement that we have with her is $50 per night. Flat rate.

My thoughts on the matter are that at 15yrs of age, they can either go and make their $7.50 per hour at Woolworths or McDonalds and have to deal with a snotty supervisor, pay tax and wear a uniform which they do not like, or they can sit on my sofa, eat my snack foods, watch my DVD's, and probably sit on MSN chatting to their friends all night, while only really watching a sleeping child for 5 out of 6 hrs...

The only reason that babysitters ask such high rates is because we keep paying them....

In your case, don't pay money. Buy her an eyelash tint or a mini manicure from a local beauty place.... Teenage girls love that sort of stuff... and it will not cost you more than $20.

Then offer her more regular babysitting gigs.....BUT YOU SET THE PRICE.

If she is not interested in working for what you are offering, then look elsewhere.

Ladies, lets take back some of the control..... At 15yrs of age would any of us questioned $20 per night???? I don't think so.... And it has nothing to do with inflation....it has everything to do with being greedy.

i use to babysit for $ 5 p/h when i was 14,15 worked in child care for not much more, $6/$7 ph untill i got to 18 then got paid like $13 ph lol and just this year i was gettin paid $15.50 per hour... working full time, and this was with a company that is huge! money wasnt the problem, i love kids, worked in childcare for 6 years, and thought it was time to have one of my own .i dont work there anymore though, decided to get out of the major stress environment, wasnt getting on with some workmates.

I have only just stopped babysitting as of this year. When I was at uni I would charge $15 an hour and if it required me to drive around and pick kids up, etc, cook meals I would charge $20 an hour. Mind you people were always happy to pay this as I would clean up the kitchen for them and any toys and things lying around. I live in Sydney. I think alot depends on where you are babysitting.

Also she may not have felt comfortable asking you for a certain amount. I know I never did. Maybe you can say to her how does $ an hour sound to you...I also liked Naomi's idea of buying her a beauty treatment. I know if I used to babysit for family my aunties, step mum would do this for me and I loved it as it is a little uncomfortable accepting money from ppl you are close to.

I think you pay what you think it's worth to have your child's life in someone else's hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Naomi08 View Post
    Ladies, lets take back some of the control..... At 15yrs of age would any of us questioned $20 per night???? I don't think so.... And it has nothing to do with inflation....it has everything to do with being greedy.
    My sister works in childcare, and she also babysits on nights and weekends, charging $15 per hour - more if there are more than 2 children. I understand what you're saying, but think of it from this angle: your babysitter has agreed to look after your children, presumably play with them for a while, get them ready for bed, read to them, put them in bed, and keep an eye on them while they're sleeping. All of this generally on a Friday night or on the weekend, when teenagers generally like to go out and have a good time.

Add to that the fact that, while you can discipline you're children (whatever way you choose to discipline them), a babysitter can't - EVER. And some kids take advantage of that, and push the limits, coz they realise the babysitter can't do anything about it. I have known my sister to drop her rate when the parents get back if the kids have been really easy to look after - having a $15 per hour rate gives her the ability to be flexible, but still fair on herself if the kids end up being rotten, KWIM?

I babysat for a lady once who tried to pay me with a bag of Speed.

I turned her down...would have preferred the cash!

DD charges $10 per hour but she hasn't got her licence yet so she has to be driven home afterwards. I get her for free LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast