Thread: Young babysitters

i don't think age is a good thing to base your decision on - i was baby sitting younger kids when i was 10 or 11, but i wasn't a "young" 10/11 year old - i know 15 and 16 year olds i wouldn't trust, and 12 year olds i would! it's definitely about the emotional age of the person you're thinking of.

the one thing that i always made sure of when i was baby sitting (up til i was old enough to drive myself) was that there was an adult available for me to call for help in an emergency - i know most people have mobiles now, and are easily contactable, but if i was babysitting friends kids, i'd make sure mum was going to be home (she lived about 5k's away) and could be there in no time if i needed her...

Enchanted Guest

I was 13 when I first started babysitting.... I guess it depends on who you are babysitting though ie. how many kids, ages, if you know them etc. As BG said it all depends on the person. I was always quite "mature" for my age.

I think looking back on it now I was probably a bit too young. I wouldn't let a 13 year old babysit my DS but that's just me and not to say others won't.

My DD babysat at 13 but she's very mature and had experience cause her sister is 8 years younger than her. She only babysat for people we knew well and often did it with a friend.

I think 11 is probably too young, especially at night. I think 14 i a good age.

as far as i can remember, its the legal age for a child to be left at home alone is 12, and to be left looking after another child is 14...

that said, my sister has looked after Annika in an emergency, she's 13... i wouldnt do it for extended periods, but mum was on the way home, and i needed to go to the hospital for DP.

hmmmm - me thinks the opening post to this one was deleted - i was just replying to someone else!

Enchanted Guest

Hee hee BG!

Well so people know what we are going on about the question was "Do you think 13 is too young to babysit?"

Yes and her post saying she is 11 was deleted too.

I think it depends on the person. When I was 14 I was babysitting four kids, aged 7yrs to 4 weeks. I had experience because I'm one of nine kids. I don't think I would leave my kids with a 13 year old but.

I was babysitting at 14 (legal minimum in the UK), but no-one would trust my little sister to babysit at 14. It depends on the person, but do remember the law as well. No matter how adult an 11 year old is, legally she's not old enough.

I used to babysit a 6 yr old and a 4 yr old when I was 12 and I have thought about this and I dont think I would want to leave my baby with a 12 yr old... even though I was an older 12 yr old and my parents were only a few houses down... I was dog and rabbit sitting at the time... I think thats much more suitable for a 12 year old and surprisingly it paid better as well!!.

I wouldn't let a teenager babysit. IMO it's ok for as long as everything is ok but in an emergency I would worry about their coping skills. Many adults panic if a child is injured or suddenly becomes ill.

My first experience baby sitting, i was more of a "watcher" for a lady who had 4 kids but no time to do house work lol so she would pay me to watch the kids while she was still there- i was about 9 or 10 i think. and then after a few years she actually started to leave me alone with them while she popped to the shops or what ever, but she would get me and my older sister to watch them if her and hubby went to dinner or what ever. By the time i was 13 i was the official babysitter as my sister was "over it" and the mum trusted me- my parents only lived up the road though, and like BG i always knew my mum was home and i could literally yell loudly and she would be there- although from memory, i never needed to call her.