Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: avg age for toilet training

Colleen Guest

Default avg age for toilet training

I know it varies so much but what age did you

a) Start TT?

b) successfully have your dd/ds tt?

Can't help you with that one Colleen.. sorry I will say that my MIL is shocked that I'm prepared to change nappies for 2 years... she started training DH just after he was 1. If you ask me, she trained herself to whisk him away to the toilet. But it was successful.. (to a degree I suppose.. for a while it would have been up to her to get him there). She reckons he only wet himself once. So I guess it depends how much work you wanna put into it hehe.

The impression I get is around 2yo people start training. I dunno whether my bubby will be ready to train in the summer/autumn leading up to his 2nd b/day or if we'll wait until the next summer when he'll be 2 1/2.

Colleen, My DS is very shy and didn't toilet train until he was 3, but it only took 2wks and he was totally out of nappies. DD was toilet trained at 2, but wore a night nappy until 2 1/2. Haven't started TT little DD yet (only 18mths).

Pietta Guest

Lol Colleen i came in here myself to ask the same question! Ryley is 15 months and already is starting to pull his pants down after a number 2 and then say to us- pooos.

thanks for asking this question!!

Colleen Guest

lol Pee

Jaykob pulls his pants off an then 10 mins later hes doing a poo lol

I think its just a coincidence or he doesnt like feeling restricted LOL

Id like to start getting him used to the idea early...

And shannon, I wonder if the fact boys have to "aim" rather than sit LOL has anything to do with the boys taking longer

it will be nice not to have to worry about a nappy .. ONE day! lol but then again, by the time Jay is toilet trained , Im sure there will be another here or at least almost!

Colleen

My mum said the other day the hardest thing for my bro when he was tt was he couldn't get used to the idea of sitting to poo. Cos he used to stand and poo into his nappy! hehe. Kids are funny

Pietta Guest

Well also i suppose they have to stand to pee too dont they- poor little boys. My Mum had to teach my brother how to pee as she was a single Mum- my hat goes off to her for doing that!!

My son has had some goes on the toilet from around 2 and a half or a bit younger, but then became reluctant (around the time his new baby sister came home! - his reasoning for staying in nappies was "bubba still wears nappies") but is now properly toilet training, of his own choosing, at almost 3 years. He has set a goal for himself to be toilet trained before he starts 3 year old kinder, and has told me he wants to start wearing jocks while we are on our holiday over New Years.

A week of staying home with Maddison saw her fully trained day & night at around 20 months!
    She was sitting on her potty as soon as she could sit unaided every morning & so was not difficult to toilet train..

Pietta Guest

Even though its not officially my thread thanks for the responses ladies!!

Colleen Guest

lol pee

Yes thanks from me too for the responses!

We just recently bought Lily a potty to get her used to it. She plays with it a bit and clibs on it. We sit her on it and she'll stay there for about 5mins and then climb back off. So hopefully toilet training wont be a hassle.

I bought Indah a potty yesterday, once she can sit by herself she will have the potty to sit on & play with.. Hopefully training her will be as simple as Maddy was...

Mason used the toilet when he was 3 1/2. He was scared of sitting on it. I don't know why and I never pressured him. I tried a potty and he didn't want to sit on that either.
    I taught Mason to sit to wee as I was told it was easier to get them to sit for poos if they sit for wees first. He does whatever he feels like now but most of the time it's stand up wees. We are trying him without night nappies ATM and it's a bit hit and miss.

Angus has done some wees on the toilet now and is wanting to wear jocks now like his brother. Just this morning we were outside and he had some on. He got qiute upset when he did a small wee in his jocks.
    So he is starting at 2 1/2. We'll see how long it takes him to get the idea!

Fire Fly Guest

DD was 2 years and 7 months when she decided she didnt want to wear a nappy anymore. And only a couple of months after that that she didnt want to wear nappies to bed. No accidents as yet.

Every child is different and will do it in there own time.

My girls all started around 2 and were out of nappies at night by 21/2. I found it went really well if left for the summer months because then they were actually able to wear big girl knickers at home and feel wet if they had an accident. We also didnt have much joy with pullups(except when going out) because they still felt like nappies.

Jo

I'm interested in this thread also... I am going to buy Aidyn a potty sometime soon, but I am not going to be worried if it takes him a long time to learn to use it. I might attempt to train him at 2, but if he is not ready, then I will step back and wait 6 months then try again etc.
    My sister tried to train her son at 2 and he was not ready, so she tried 6 months later and it only took him a couple of weeks to get the hang of it.

Yeah I am interested about the male peeing thing... should I teach him to sit or stand first? I might do what you did Sammi and teach him to sit to wee, if its going to help with his poos. Daddy can always teach him to stand once he has the hang of it all?

We're currently training Alex. I first tried a couple of months ago (before Ned was born) but he just didn't get it. Just after Christmas (after we gave our bottles to Santa!!) we started "fulltime" training... undies during the day and nappies for bed or at night. We have an insert for the big toilet as well as a potty and we give him the choice of both. He usually prefers the "big toilet". He sits on the big toilet for both wees and poos.

However, we aren't very good at the "poos" yet. We manage the wees, especially since we introduced the "sticker" and "smartie" for wees in the big toilet! It's been two weeks now, almost, and although we do have accidents, we're getting better at it.

We'll have to start the nap (although he doesn't nap often) and bedtime routine soon I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast