Thread: baby beehinds

Default baby beehinds

I have just been reading all the wonderful reviews of baby beehinds. Just wondering how many do you recommend I need for a complete set?

Hi Michelle,
    I can't actually answer you, but i hope someone does soon, because im interested in the answer myself lol
    When are you due??

Lea x

I can't answer for a newborn, as I only started using MCN later on. But I would say for one child (other than newborn) you would probably want about 20 nappies all up. I had 32 for both boys when they were both in nappies and it was manageable, but a few more would have taken the pressure off with the washing. What sort of Baby Beehinds do you want to get? I had mostly Bamboo fitteds with some Magicalls for day care. But now with just one in nappies and he's not a huge wetter I use the Magicalls all the time except at night.

Check out the website as they have a few packages, one of which is a full time pack.

I've not used them full time myself but have been happy with them as a night nappy and I did use them regularly during the day when Caleb was younger.

Okay, well the maths works like this - you have to consider these things:

- How many nappy changes per 24 hours.
    - How often you're going to wash.
    - The weather.

Baby BeeHinds fitteds (the bamboo or hemp ones that need a cover) are a great one size nappy! They can be pretty bulky on a newborn though. River was born 9.4lb (4.2kg), and they fit him from when he was about 2 weeks? He still wears them now (17 months) and they're quite a trim nappy now!
    As a newborn, we did about 8 nappy changes per 24 hours I think?

We washed every second day. Or third...we had quite a few nappies - flat flannel nappies, and prefolds, and fitteds with covers - as well as the odd disposable here and there.
    So that would be 8 x 3 days. So, 24.

Except - that if it's really rainy, unless you tumble dry a lot (not great for elastic to do it ALL the time) bamboo can take awhile to dry, about a whole day on the line if it's cloudy - though you could line or clothehorse dry and then finish them off in a tumble dryer.
    (This is where flats and prefolds come in handy, they dry quickly)

Usually, for people trying new nappies, I'd say - just buy a few and see if you like them/how they suit your baby - and then if you like them, get some more.

However, with Baby BeeHinds, being one size - if you find them too bulky on your newborn, you can always try them again a few weeks down the track. They really are quite a good 'workhorse' nappy.

Now that Riv's older, we have fewer nappy changes per day, and wash about every 2 days. But - we don't use as many fitteds with covers - fitteds with well fitting covers are great for that explodey poo! But once Riv was on solids, we started to use more Pocket nappies or All-In-Ones.

There's a Help for New Users thread here that might help answer any other questions you have too?
    All the best, modern cloth nappies involve a huge learning curve!

Apart from a couple of Green kids.. the bamboo ones are the ones i use for my girl at night.. they really go the distance, esp with a good cover.. they are looking cuter and cuter as she gets bigger... occasionally i have them on her during the day with no cover caz i can gauge her wetness(i love looking at a cloth bum)... shes been in them from 6 weeks and is now nearly 14 months.. apart from some elastic issues(i think i was unlucky) they are great, long time to dry.. but once you get ur mojo with cloth its just how it is... and if they take a while to dry you know its caz they are super absorbant nappies!!!
    next bub is getting a BBH and green kids mix for sure...
    Last edited by Edensmumma; February 17th, 2008 at 09:04 AM. Reason: much too excitable for a tired mumma...

Really Gill?? I didn't know that about the 10%!

thats what i got nelle....
    a magnet that says for the rest of the purchases i make i will get 10 % off... hmmmm
    mabe i shouldnt say that. sorry.. i get all excited talking about mcn's.. ill calm down now

I have DS in BBH full-time & I've got 26 (10 bamboo, 16 hemp) + 2 bamboo pocket nappies (Greenkids). With the recent rain, I've only just managed to get them dry in time - DS goes through about 10 nappies per day & I wash them every second day. I'm planning to get more pocket nappies to cope in winter.
    HTH.