Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cloth or Disposable

Hmmm, interesting discussion. Must admit I have been doing some reading up on the subject and have found some really interesting stuff. I am hoping to use cloth at home, we have no water restrictions and I plan on using eco friendly detergant. I am a bit of a greenie and the thought of those disposables taking so long to break down does freak me out a bit. Cloth nappies have come so far they're just like disposables except you wash them.

Probably the one thing I read that did concern me was that the absorbent gel crystals they use in disposables was banned from tampons in 1986 because of the risk of TSS. Also another biggie for me was reading that because dispoasbles create a higher temperature around the bottom there is a possible risk this could lead to male infertility later on. This did worry me because it was my DH's low sperm count that led to us having to do IVF to get pg.

Anyway, it is a personal decision obviously and I certainly have no ill feelings towards those deciding to use disposables. Once again, it depends which study you read and who funded it!!

Take care everyone!

katanya Guest

Probably the one thing I read that did concern me was that the absorbent gel crystals they use in disposables was banned from tampons in 1986 because of the risk of TSS. Also another biggie for me was reading that because dispoasbles create a higher temperature around the bottom there is a possible risk this could lead to male infertility later on. This did worry me because it was my DH's low sperm count that led to us having to do IVF to get pg.
    yes this a huge reason for many of the people I know using cloth, I used dispoasables for the first 3 months I thought that the system I'd panned on using was alot more work (terry flats and napisan etc) turned out whasn't as hard as I thought..but the system I use now is SO easy it's ridulucous, and I know that next bub I will be using cloth from birth..

I don't condem anyone for choosing disposables, it is a personal choce like everything else, and I'm certainly no environmental matyr I produce plenty of personal waste, but I figure cutting down as much as I can is my goal...I just really truely love cloth nappies, and probably would use them even if it were as distructive to the environment.

I do love to enlighten everyone to the wonderful modern cloth nappies around, so mnay people think it's still all about terry flats, pins, plastic pants and napisan..

LOL Katanya I knew you'd get into this thread. I really admire your enthusiasm about cloth nappies. I would never have the energy to do all that laundry but if anyone could convert me to cloth I think it would be you.

katanya Guest

LOL Dach..yes I can be rather overenthusiatic..that's IRL too \/

Quote Originally Posted by katanya
    I do love to enlighten everyone to the wonderful modern cloth nappies around, so mnay people think it's still all about terry flats, pins, plastic pants and napisan..
    erm... I think I'm one of them. I'd no idea there were different types of cloth nappies. If they've improved somewhat from the terry flats then I'd be really interested in being enlightened

yet another thing to research! What did pg mums do years ago without the internet? LOL

katanya Guest

yet another thing to research! What did pg mums do years ago without the internet? LOL
    LOL I have no idea but I'd probably be using napisan or disposables without it

Do a search for Oz cloth nappies first, they have links to other sites..

I can send you the link if you like

Okay going back in my box now.. :-#

Jacky Guest

YIPPEEE for cloth nappies LOVE them...

I have never ever soaked my nappies,never used nappy san,bleach or any harsh chemicals.I 'dry pale' my nappies also (just put in a bucket with NO water and have a good lid!) I honestly can say,cloth nappies aren't as hard as what alot of people think. I don't use the liners you get from wollies/coles,i simply brought some 'polar fleece' and use them as liners,as they will draw the moisture away from babies bum.And even though her nappy may be wet,her bum is so dry!if you have a good quaility cover (i.e don;t use PVC pilchers,as they act like a sauna on babies bum) I use a motherease airflow cover ($18ea) i have about 4 of these,and that gets me through. I also use fitted cloth nappies when i go out. I think i do 1 maybe 2 extra loads of washing a week with my clothies.And it is important to have a good 'fold' with your terry squares.
    I'm not sure if i can post links on this site?? If so, i would love to pass on a few handy and helpful links. Can someone let me know please??

katanya Guest

Jacky you can't post links but you can mention name or email people, unfortunately only platinum people can PM..

Glad to see another enthusiatic clothie around

Hi guys

I only just discovered this discussion and I'd love to see some sites with more info, if anyone feels like posting them up here!

I am currently having this discussion with my DP and was tending to disposable to save washing (I'm a bit of a fanatic when it comes to clothes washing, so the thought of any extra...!), but my DP would like to consider cloth.

This is our first time, so excuse my ignorance!!

katanya Guest

Jennifer i will PM you the links I sent Ivana

Hi all,

thanks heaps, your inputs have helped me to make up my mind a lot quicker than would've been possible trying to work it out myself.

Katanya- thanks heaps for your input, please send me those links as MIL and I are about to start looking and buying. DH is all in favour of cloth too.

We are prepared to spend a little more for better quality/ease of use. This is our first so any experience that can be passed on will be greatfully appreciated.

Interested in dry pailing - do you simply put a dirty nappy in the pail with a lid on it until you wash??? excuse my ignorance...

thanks,
    Joy.

katanya Guest

Joy I sent your the links too, sorry after all you were the one to start the thread!

Dry pailing= putting nappies into a bucket witout water, you have to empty the poo off first, a little squirt is also a great investment.
    You can leave nappies 2-3 bweteen washes, sounds gross but makes sense water wise, for newborns the amount of wee and the small size of things you'd probably be washing more, but with Felix he is into bigger output and less nappy changes if this makes sense? Same as with disposables, they give you larger nappies but less of them...

If you follow the Oz cloth link you'll find that it explains it all much better than me, it also explains the types of modern cloth nappies and how they work, each abby and parent is very diffrent and the ages, I used to use more fitteds and covers at home when he was little now I use pockets most places, because todllers hate getting changed..as I mentioned above I send my pocket nappies to Felix's childcare center and they find them extremely easy to use.. this includes ease for Dad's , grandparents and anyone else looking after them how is not "cloth savvy"

Personally my favourite closures are snappis and snaps,I am not a fan of aplix/touch tape or velcro..it gets fuzzi in the wash and Felix can open them. I luckily only have one..but some people like them? so each to their own I guess?

Also there are so many types and colours and fabrics, something for everyone, I like bright colours and don't mind modern fabric like PUL, but others like traditional fabrics like wool and hemp and unbleached terry etc..(I alsonhave these)
    You just have to find what is good for you!

Oz cloth also have a yahoo mailing list and they have meet ups were everyone gets together and sews or shows off their nappies(I told you it gets addictive) and these would be a great idea to look into if you want to see what is around in first person..

Other things you have to consider are your babies body type, I have a long and very lean bubba, and sometypes of nappies dont suit and visa versa..chubby bubs dont suit some styles, of course you wont know till you get your bub!

Anyhow HTH again

Here is a piece of nonsense trivia, if you are into gardening! (There is a link LOL!)

Those crystals in the disposable nappies work the same as the water saving crystals that you put into soil that cannot retail water (where the water doesn't penetrate into the ground, but rolls off the top) If you pull apart a disposable nappie and dig the cystals into the ground, you will get the same results. Obv I wouldn't do it with a pooey one LOL!

katanya Guest

really Jo? actually that part is pretty cool, but what do you do with the rest of it?

Hi Katanya,

I've looked into those links you sent... and I'm really interested in using cloth. But it seems so expensive! Just wondering if you have an assortment of different nappies? I'm a little confused whether to go the ones which include a waterproof cover, or just get cloth and separate cover and how many?

It's all so confusing! 8-[

Do you recommend different nappies for different circumstances? eg. If just hanging about at home all day, perhaps use cheaper bulkier ones, and use the pocket nappies when going out? or what?

hehe.. sorry, I really don't know where to start, and I'm a bit worried that normal shops aren't going to stock the nappies so I can go and have a squiz at them. (I'm more than happy buying things online.. but I'd like to check em out)

Any advice is appreciated

Wow... it's so much cheaper to get them in the US! I've been looking at the fuzzibunz.. and here you pay $26-$35 each... but can order from the US 12 for AUD$220 with inserts! Am going to email the store to see what delivery would be to here. Otherwise... I'll get DH to pick some up when he's in the US.

Not ordering anything yet of course.. still too early But still, any advice on which way to go will be much appreciated!

katanya Guest

Hi Ivana..

Yes theyaren't cheap in out lay, of course if you add them up long term still much cheaper, but it's getting that intial outlay..

YES they are cheaper in the US, if your DH can get them I would recommend him doing so, if you do asearch on Ebay you'll see how much they resale for.,.so well worthwhile..

I do have heaps of diffrent types of nappies, mainly because I love the dam things and it's sort of become a hobby

Wish I could show my stash IRL because I have a huge array of nappies and styles..

I am going to have to reply to this later as m sick boy has woken up..but will try to give you more info!

I wish I could see em IRL too. No one I know uses cloth, and whenever I say to someone that I'm looking into it, they screw up their noses and say 'but it's so nice to just fold it up and throw it away'.

*sigh*

I'm determined tho! never know... I might start a trend in our circle of friends

Because I can't see these nappies in action, I'm leaning towards just having a few on hand along with disposables. And if I like them I'll order more (they shouldn't take too long to arrive).

I'm looking at getting some fuzzibunz type ones, some prefolds and a few covers. And see how I go. But like I said, early days yet. Will continue my research

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast