Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cloth or Disposable

Fruitwood Guest

My hubby is all for cloth nappies and thinks disposable ones are a waste of money, lol. Of course I think in the completely opposite frame of mind. I am a big supporter of disposable nappies. My mum works for a hospital in Adelaide and studies their have shown that disposables are more hygenic for mum's who aren't used to changing nappies so regularly. There is less chance of nappy rash as the moisture is drawn away from the baby whereas with cloth the baby is sitting in it until it's changed. I think it's all personal opinion though and what you find works best for you. Hubby and I have agreed to disagree and we'll be using disposable nappies on the basis that he won't pay for them, lol. It all comes down to the bottom dollar for my hubby. I am happy to pay for nappies though and both my mum and I are starting to hunt around for specials and stock up well before our baby is due in Feb. Nappies can be expensive but I'd rather pay the extra money than have to spend extra time washing and hanging them out. A friend of mine recently washed all her cloth nappies and hung them out to dry on the line and when she brought them in they were as hard as surfboards and all had to be rewashed, I'm not keen on having that extra work, lol. It's all personal choice though and you have to go with what's right for you.

Sharon

katanya Guest

There is less chance of nappy rash as the moisture is drawn away from the baby whereas with cloth the baby is sitting in it until it's changed
    Unless you uesd a flat nappy without a liner this isn't the reality at all, with the cloth nappies I use the wet absorbant material doesn't touch his skin at all..

The thing is using cloth puts you on that matyr status, alot of other mothers like the idea but think it's all tooo much hard work so pull down the idea..sure the idea of changing a dirty bum and washing the poo into the toilet takes a few more steps, but actually if you read the disposable instructions you are mean to be doing that anyhow..not that many people actually do...

Sharon I am all for everyone making their own choices and believe me DP was far more enthusiastic when I was pregnant about using cloth, the idea of nappy bucket and hanging out didn't appeal much but I still thought I'd give it ago..took me to 3 month to try it out, but once I did I haven't looked back..Your Mum is probably thinking back to the days before liners and with napisan and all that, there are SOO many ways more to wash and use cloth now..like I said personal choices and I wish that more women could see how wonderful modern cloth products are..trouble is that the disposable nappy industries are a HUGE money spinning industy (with each baby generating around $2000 of nappies before TT it's not surprising) they're not really going to support good cloth fitteds being sold next them in supermarkets..and those horrible huggies cloth fitteds don't count..

anyhow off my soap box again :-#

Ivana i think your idea sounds great, even if you only used cloth at home and disposables while out you cut down of alot of waste already..

Sal Guest

Hey Katanya, that's what I've been thinking, too (that when people come up with the hygiene reason not to use cloth that they are thinking old terry squares, bleach etc). My mum was initially horrified when I told her about my intention to use cloth, but now she is aware of pocket nappies etc she can see how that would be good.

Ivana, I'm following your research with a keen interest! Please let us know if you find a really good buy for cloth nappies.

My own little woohoo - I finally found a material shop that stocks micropolar fleece so I bought a metre of it! Now I have to figure out how to cut out the nappy liner shapes from it (well, once I actually get some cloth nappies). Wish I could see some IRL too!

katanya Guest

Now I have to figure out how to cut out the nappy liner shapes from it
    woohoo about the fleece..I will check the dimentions of mine and get back to you.. a rectangle is just fine..

hmm can't find a ruler but I would say they are about 20 cms by 10cms? I just looked on bubba j and she is making shaped ones now..I got my measurements from there before..

I just wish that there was more places to see good cloth products, saying that you can get a person to come around and do fuzibunz parties in melbourne (maybe you could have a baby shower one?) Bubba J also do them in most states..contact their website or I can send you the contact about the fuzzibuns if you like..

Yeah.. I've thought about putting them on the list for pressies at my baby shower... or our wedding anniversary... or any occassion that's coming up!

Sal - I think the oz cloth nappies site has patterns or suggestions on how to make the nappies yourself. Or just do a search for how to make pocket nappies. There's patterns out there I think.

Just thought you guys would be interested, just joined the ozcloth site like Katanya recommended, well worth it. They have heaps of patterns, links and everything you need to know. If you are at all interested in finding out the truth about cloth have a look there!!!

Also they have lists of people who sell, WAHM. prices seem to be very reasonable considering the work that must go into making them!!!

Joy.

this thread just made me think of something.

dont you think it is funny that 30 years ago, women were looked down on if they used disposable nappies. they were 'not doing the best for thier baby' or 'lazy'. but now, people look down on women who use cloth.... :-k

a bit strange dont you think?

Linda

Linda.. I totally agree, doesn't take long for things to turn around.. My mum used cloth on all 4 children and was thrilled when she found out that wa my intention.... and just a tad jealous that they didn't have the fitted ones we have now, when she was using them. As soon as she steps in the nursery. she goes straight to the nappies... Don't think I will have too much trouble palming off the nappy changes when mum is there lol.. I think they just fasinate her...

Sal.. try Charles Parsons ( they have a website) they stock it at wholesale prices and will do phone orders

katanya Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ldawson
    this thread just made me think of something.

dont you think it is funny that 30 years ago, women were looked down on if they used disposable nappies. they were 'not doing the best for thier baby' or 'lazy'. but now, people look down on women who use cloth.... :-k
    Oh Linda I couldn't agree with you more!

The things is disposables are really good quality compared to years ago, and our society has become much mor disposable orintated, there are evn disposable bibs, and change mats out there..I mean how wasteful is that?

I don't really mind if people decide to use them I have usea few when felix was newborn, but I do get a little peeved when people make out like I'm beinga matyr or that cloth is worse for babies to justify their own decisions..how can something that most of us were in as babies be bad for you? I'll bet our mothers didn't have us in nappy rashes all day?

Personally without fitted cloth nappies I am not sure I'd be a dedicated to cloth, though I have used terry flast too..but never have to now as I have so many fitteds..I really love the fact I can throw on a cloth nappy just a quick as a disposable, I have a wet bag in my nappy bag, and then when I'm home I have a bucket in the landry where I throw them till theres enough for a load..then put the washing machine on..the pockets and covers get hung in his room, and the inserts get dried in the drier or line if it's sunny..
    When I am going out in the morning, I pull some pockets down, grab the stuffers and off I go..literally takes me 1 minute..and I double stuff mine and they last about 3 hours
    Glad to see so many of you guys investigating cloth..Oz cloth is a GREAT resource, and yes it's hard to believe the prices they make the nappies for..I just bought a leopard fur nappy for Felix(I will get a pic on his website when I get my friend to take it) and it has a tail!! It's SOOO cute and it was $15!!! I bought one for my godson too..and we are going to visit them in Sydney next week..

Katanya, what you say all seams soo true.. pluss I would imagine that it would be easier to chuck the nappy in a nappy bag and be done, than it would be to walk to the bin lol,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123