Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloth nappies 101 for dummies

Wink Cloth nappies 101 for dummies

Yup I'll admit it - I'm a dummy when it comes to cloth nappies. I have no knowledge whatsoever. I'm a disposable user.
    Sooo its surprising that i"m even writing that I'm thinking of going down the cloth nappy route. I did a search today on the internet for the bumgenius ones, and they look fantastic. However, I don't even know where to start in getting myself organised, or how to take care of them, or what goes with what - which is best etc etc etc.

Can someone point me in the right direction with straight forward advice and recommendations about how to start on this new road? I've told DH that its costly at the beginning for all the nappies but as they do for more than one child, we would end up saving heaps from buying disposables for Aricyn until he is toilet trained and this next one (plus we are planning one more).

So .. where do I start??? What do I do?? What kind of nappies are there? I don't understand all the abbreviations (like I said, dummy, know zilch) so if someone has a few minutes (or more) on their hands to let me in on this strange (yet compelling) world of cloth nappies, I would be very grateful.

Plus, also recommendations for nappies for an 18 month old and a newborn would be great.

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE.

Hi there!

I'd also like some advice. I have no idea of the difference between an all-in-one (AIO) nappy, pre-formed nappy and pocket nappy....

We're about to go into the big world of cloth nappies too, but have no idea where to start. I've been around and looked, but there's so many choices, so many fabrics and so many brands that my mind is about to explode!

My boy is a big wetter and hates a wet nappy, so I need something that will keep him a bit dry (don't want him waking up every time he pees) but like natural fabrics that will dry easily in a damp cold house during winter! Arrrggghhh!

Will watch this thread with interest!

Mel, check out this thread, you'll find some great info there.

http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/clot...new-users.html

And then if you still have questions (which I'm sure you will), feel free to post them there and someone will come and help you!

Best bet for 2 kids... ONE SIZE nappies!

They are a life saver for me when i run out of Medium size for Jasmine

Thanks Janie xx

Kim - One size fits all huh...i guess i'd need heaps of them for two or three kids though (although hopefully by the time I'm havin a 3rd, DS will be toilet trained!!) What are the prices usually ranging from? Any good brands you would recommend?? Are they the ones that look like disposables?

bum genuis are great!!

Id def recommend BumGenius (usually sell for around $28 each or if you can buy in packs or trial packs work out cheaper). Green Kids, Haute are some others i have in my stash i love

With my 2 girls i have a mix of One size and AIO (sized) i have 35 nappies between the 2 and i wash every 2nd day and thats plenty for me.

God there is so much stuff out there its confusing!!!! So I'm on a website and they have an introductory package for $160 and I'm wondering if this is what I should be going for, to get an idea of what is out there, what I would like etc etc.
    In the package you get:
    Bumgenius AIO
    Tot Bots Bamboozle
    Baby Greens Growing Greens (AIO)
    Itti Bitti (AIO)
    Bumis Superbrite Cover
    Eenees Biodegradeable liners
    nappy wetbag

So would this be a good start for me to try out some things? And I'm not sure what size I would need for a tall (reasonably skinny, no butt to speak of), 13kg, 16 month old??

Any advice?

I personally wouldn't get a starter pack like that cause it mixes AIO's and pockets etc. I decided to go for one 'system' so as not to confuse my H

I got pockets for the faster drying and LOVE our bumgenius one size pockets. We have Hautes but they have have only just starting fitting around our skinny boy's thighs and they wet through the fabric- rubbish IMO. We also have green kids which are stiffer but super absorbant and good for night time.

I say pick a system and buy a couple of the major brands to try them- that's what we did anyway and it's worked for us.

thanks ren.
    So not meaning to sound dim, but the bumgenius one size is a pocket nappy? and other brands sell the one size as well as pockets? And you just stuff them.. with... uh... stuff? pmsl
    god I sound so stupid.. i'm normally pretty intelligent.

The bumG one size is a pocket but the sized ones are not a pocket but an AIO.

BumG, Haute and Green Kids are a one size pocket. You stuff them with inserts

I have a mix of AIO, Pocket, Fitted (which i hate cos i dont like having to use covers at all).

ok. so pocket nappies would probably be best for me - or AIO's - and some are dependent on size and some aren't. So let me sum up what I THINK I'm getting through my thick skull
    Pocket nappies are good because they are quick drying, don't need an outer cover and can be shoved with as much stuff to suit childs needs - and can come in one size fits all or sized to fit.
    AIO's - are good because they don't need an outer cover OR an insert but take longer to dry and come sized to fit.
    Am I on the right track? I'm feeling a little bamboozled..

100% spot on Mel

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'M GETTING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can be be a cloth nappy user also!!! wooohooo!!!!!! I'm doing some looking on ebay and they aren't as expensive as I thought they would be and goshdarnit.. they are sooo damn cute!!!!!

Now... do they need liners on the inside as well for easy poo removal or not? This may nor may not be my last question.

You're doing very well- it took me ages to get that far! Bumgenius have and AIO and a one size pocket nappy.

Liners are probably personal choice- I don't use them and just wash then sun our nappy to remove the poo stains. But then I'm dealing with BF poos so I think for older children it's a different matter. You can get single use or washable liners.

I use flushables....but not all the time. I find with Chelsea (18 mths) the poo rolls off so no real need for them.

Hehee.. goshdarnit I feel so proud of myself - three days without food and I can still think straight.. woohooo!!!

Thanks so much guys.. I think I know what way I'm going towards now - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU...

Now... to ebay I go.. hehe..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast