Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cloth nappies 101 for dummies

Mel, I use different types of nappies for different things....fitteds are much better overnight on bigger kids in conjunction with a cover of course. No way would a pocket or AIO cut it.
    I've got a skinny tall kid too and bumgenius are great. Itti bittis are the best though! and dry really really quick. I will be getting a bakers dozen next time. I love monkey doodlez too and have some bubblebubs, BBHs, pocket change, peapods, homemade ones....list goes on.
    I think the trial pack is a great Idea cos I send AIOs to daycare, peapods at home only. I like some pockets but not others, some AIOs but not others. If you stuff them as they dry or just get them ready, they are all the same to DHs, ie they go on the same way.

Kim - ah crap, now you have thrown that into the mix!!!!! argghhhhh... I didn't want it to be too complicated, I only just started to get my head around it.. pmsl!!

Matryoshka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gudism View Post
    thanks ren.
    So not meaning to sound dim, but the bumgenius one size is a pocket nappy? and other brands sell the one size as well as pockets? And you just stuff them.. with... uh... stuff? pmsl
    god I sound so stupid.. i'm normally pretty intelligent.
    "Haute" Pocket nappies are awesome... they are one size and the only nappy that has consistently fitted my DS changing shape. I think they'll be too big for a new born but i plan to get DS2 in to them asap. They are about $25 and come with 2 inserts. Later on if you get desperate for more absorbancy, its cheaper to buy bamboo or hemp fleece and make your own - can be done with zero sewing skills, as i did!.

I went with pocket nappies because i didn't like the damp feeling you get with fitteds even when using a liner.

I've had no problem using pockets overnight with my DS - some other brands we use are Greenkids, Peapods, Dry Bees.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kim~ View Post
    If you stuff them as they dry or just get them ready, they are all the same to DHs, ie they go on the same way.
    That's true except for fitteds I guess- I didn't want to have to deal with covers (I'm super lazy! )

We use pockets for night but change in the middle of the night as he's not sleeping through. If it stops working we might get some wool covers to put over the pockets I guess.

Yep good idea Ren, that's what I do when I run out.

Sorry Mel....
    The fun bit is picking them cos of the patterns too......lol

OK well I think I have made up my mind on what I will be testing first!! I have my eye on a couple of pockets on ebay (and i figure if i don't like them they were only $15) and I think for nighttime I will try to ecobumz from canada. Definitely will be looking at more brands though - I didn't realise they were sooo cute!!!!! what have I been doing for the last 16 months.. I musta been crazy!!!!

Kim - apparently the ecobumz ones are really good for nighttime and come in AIO and pockets - have you heard anything about them? I could just be getting sucked in cos they are pretty cute..

Mel, drop into the cloth nappy discussion thread and ask the girls in there........trust me, if there's anything to know about a nappy, someone in there will tell you!

Also check out the nappycino forums, there's a wealth of info on there.

The one thing I would advise is to only get a couple of any one particular type. If you like the fit or performance then go back for more. If you don't then you have only lost out on one and not several.

Quote Originally Posted by MammaB
    "Haute" Pocket nappies are awesome... they are one size and the only nappy that has consistently fitted my DS changing shape.
    I hate the fit of these nappies on Caleb and find they have terrible wing droop and the bulk of the snap down at the front to change sizes is annoying. I have one but never use it and it will go with my next sell off.

I feel the same way about Baby Kangas too!

Gudism hope you find what you are looking for! In my nappy stash I have a bit of everything (well, actually, a lot of everything! I went nappy crazy!) and though my DH is now well versed on nappies, the most husband friendly thing would have to be AIOs and pockets that you have stuffed for him already. Same with inlaws. Fitteds and covers confuse them, they end up putting covers on AIOs and pockets. And the best way to get hubbies and in laws on the cloth bandwagon is to use something easy!

You will not believe how many brands there are out there....

And I think the trial pack you mentioned earlier was a good idea to try different things.

BUT, I find that fitteds and covers are the best protection against leaks, so I prefer fitteds and covers.

Sammi, I love the one haute pocket that I have! Isn't it funny how we all love different things I bought it off B4B and I'm now thinking about getting some new ones!

Mel, I think trying a few different sorts is a good idea. Just remember....although it's not always the case, usually with nappies you get what you pay for. So while some nappies might seem quite expensive, it's usually because they're good! A nappy that's crap, and just doesn't work, is a complete waste of time, because you end up changing clothes etc all the time and the nappy ends up on the shelf!

Thanks guys, I think I will poke my head in the cloth nappy thread!!!!

Janie - thanks for the tip

Janie you can have my Hautes ! I have 4 and I've been thinking of getting onto B4B to offload them- they do nothing for us and I think I'd rather just get rid of the darn things and put the money into something else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12