Thread: Help!!! stubborn 2 & 1/2 year old!!

Unhappy Help!!! stubborn 2 & 1/2 year old!!

Hi All,

I am desperately trying to toilet train my 2 1/2 year old daughter with little success, i was just wondering if anyone has any tips to help me.
    She has a potty and was sitting on that but gets up before she does anything and was getting her to sit on the big toilet but still was yet to do anything, now its a big screaming match just to get her sit on either the potty or the toilet, she just cries and will not sit down, ofcourse i don't force her, but i need to be training her someway, how can i do that if she won't even sit on the loo at all???
    Im a bit worried she will not be out of nappies to start pre-school next year as that is a requirement!
    Would be grateful for any imput!

Michelle,

Try not to worry about it too much at the moment she will do it when she is ready. What age does she start pre-school ?

I had the same trouble with Kimberley and then one day she came home from DH's cousins and she did it all on her own and never wore a nappy during the day from then. She was just over 3 when she did it.
    Does she get a chance to watch other kids her own age do it ?
    As that is what i think happened with Kimberley as she was staying with a 4 year old that was toilet trained. She never really used the potty just the toilet.

No Michelle she does not get too see any older kids going to the loo, i think that may be the problem, although i show her when i go, but it does not seem to gel with her, If kimberley was over 3 then maybe i will wait a bit longer and see how she goes in the warmer months, she starts pre-school for 1 day a week in january and they need to be fully toilet trained to attend, i guess i will just have to hope she decides to be a big girl, actually tonight the dummy fairy is visiting our house and taking her dummies and is going to take them to a friend's newborn, ( she will sleep without it) so maybe going potty won't be far behind, thanks for the advice!

Michelle,

Good luck with it all and i hope the dummy fairy works. It didn't for me i ended up cutting the end off the dummy and giving it to Kimberley and that was it she never used it again. She was over 3 when we got rid of that. Maybe she was toilet trained just before she was three.

I am having similar issues, though mine loves to sit on the toilet, but has trouble knowing what to do. The only time I have had success is when I pour warm water over her bits when sitting there, so I guess she lets go of the wee's with the water to stimulate KWIM?
    The books Ive read all say to use a dolly to show her what to do, even if you put water in for dolly ( or use a baby born if you have one) I ask, and encourage at set times, like as soon as she's awake, after lunch etc
    The books Ive read also say your child needs to be ready, as in holding on for a while, wakes up dry sometimes, interested in the toilet and no major changes in life. Check out your local library there are sooo many books to assist.
    BUT if she is getting upset with the whole thing I would leave her for a while, even a few weeks. As for the policy of being "totally toilet trained" all kinders understand if it is still in progress ( they wont admit it) they encourage regular toilet times, and even in preps ask for a change of clothes for accidents ( which still happen!)

If she's flat out refusing back right off and try again in a month. Don't even speak of the potty.
    I understand your reasons to have her trained but it really is a long time away and you child can mature so much in 6 months.

We got a potty book from the library. At that stage I'd given up on the toilet training, but DS insisted on getting it out of the garage and having a go. I thought I'd better try while he's interested. I put him straight into underpants. Once he wet them once or twice, he didn't want to do that again, and did it in the potty.

I think they have to be ready though, if she's being stubborn about it, and you keep trying, it could take a year. If you wait until she's ready, it will happen in less than a week. Next year is a long way away in a child's development. I'm sure she'll be ready before then.

I agree with Sammi-J, leave it a few weeks and try again. Mackenzie will run to the toilet sometimes and then other times has no interest. She is no where near TT but we just give it a go if she is interested. Also is giving up the dummies, maybe know isn't the time to start TT, it may be too much for her. You will know when she's ready, does she tell you when she had done poos or wees? Does she pull her nappy off? I made running to the toilet a game and I also have a treasure bag full of toys (shakers, books, puppets etc) to try and keep her sitting on the toilet other wise she only says there for about 30 seconds and jumps off. It will happen - just give it time and be guided by her.

Kell Guest

Molly was potty trained about 3 weeks b4 she started preschool (she was in a full body cast right up until them so it made it impossible). we had been trying b4 the cast went on but she was very similar to your daughter, was interested but then would get upset if we put her on the potty or toilet. but when we started again just b4 she turned 3 it was a breeze, it took 1/2 day and she hasnt had an accident since - so my suggestion would be to just wait a few months and see how it goes...hth

Thanks everyone for all your helpful info, I have decided to wait a while and try again as i can't force her to go, so she obviously is not ready, will try again in a month or so!

Hi Shellstar,
    I heard that the best way and best time to toilet train your toddler is in the summer months with no clothes on!. I let my little man run around naked and he had a great time peeing all over the garden! haha. It might be differnt for girls though? He is now 2.5yrs and fully toilet trained during the day. I just cant get him to do number 2's on the toilet!! He flat out refuses and as soon as I put his night time nappy on, he runs behind the couch to poo. It is sooo frustrating!

Anyway good luck with everything.