Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negative response to Cloth Nappy decision!

Question Negative response to Cloth Nappy decision!

Hi all, i am planning on giving MCNs a go when i have my bubba next year. Whenever i tell this to friends with kids already, they look at me like i am a leper who doesn't know anything i am talking about and immediately start telling me how bad they are, how much work it will be for me and (as they have obviously no idea about MCN) how hard they are to fold, how much soaking and washing etc!

What is everyone's views/experiences on this?

I know wat u mean, i was telling my SIL that i was starting to buy them for DD and that i will be using them on the new bub too...she just gave me a funny look and told me that i wouldnt have the time to wash them & that i would need 2 washing machines and they would cost more buying washing detergent!!..blah blah blah

luckily though i have alot more ppl telling me that its a great idea and they are really interested in the MCN! i see it as my choice and it isnt none of anyone elses business!!

I tried and gave up with flats before so got this too but almost 12 months down the track nobody really cares anymore

Just don't talk about what you're planning on doing and if they ask just say you'll give cloth a go and they aren't like the flat squares anymore. Make sure you have the cutest show off nappies for when you're out or have visitors. It's the cute factor that makes them understand very time!

So many people have no idea just how much cloth nappies have changed and still think of a cloth nappy as being a terry flat with pins LOL. Either don't say anything at all to them or just tell they aren't using them so what's the big deal?

I got the same responses, and so stopped telling people! Life was much easier that way. If you do mention it and get a negative response, just ask them why they have a problem with it, seeing as it's not them who has to do it?!

I mainly use terry flats (have some berry plushes and other cuties to sow off when we're out) and when people try and tell me hwo hard they are i just say "oh, so you actually USE cloth nappies?!" this shuts most people up! I tell them how easy it is to use even just terry flats. People are just misinformed, it was a pretty hard task "in the olden days" to do cloth nappies. Not anyore! GL xx

pffft those people dont know wht they are talking about BUT each to their own, I guess. Its not them who is having to do your washing so whats the big deal to them?
    To be honest, I actually find MCN's sooo easy to use! I also prefer them to sposies as they're less stinky and dont fill up my bin so much. I'm definately saving money too, by using MCNs more than sposies.

My mum has the exact same view, so I know how you feel. I said to her "You don't use them on him, you don't get to look after him for extended periods". She soon shut up!

Well honey come and join us other lepers then. Tell your friends who much money they are actually throwing out and what harm they are doing to our Earth and the future of their children...but then it would probably fall on deaf ears...come into the nappy chatter and leper away with us ROFL
    Well done on standing up for what YOU want to do for yourself and your baby.
    *Maz steps off soap box now*

LOL everyone! I especially agree with sammy J on trying to get the cutest ones i can find to show off them I have two friends (both like me with no kids yet, 1 with 1 on the way too) who are on the same wave length as me, one for monetary reasons and the other for environmental, and i think i will just talk to them about it!! But they are so cute i just want all these people to be aware of what is out there!!!!!

Taurusa, I have recently switched both my boys over to MCN. My oldest is 2 1/2 so I am not a novice to motherhood. I got some negative reactions, one of my friends still thinks I'm mad. Tough to her. They are not that hard at all and I am so glad I converted. Just wish I'd done it earlier TBH. It is much easier than in our parents' day. I don't soak the nappies, I have an extra load of washing every 1 -2 days (and I could get more nappies to make it 2 days every time but my oldest will be TT soon so it would be a waste of money). It is really not much extra work at all. I have to empty the bin WAY less often, I am saving a HEAP of money, helping the planet, the boys look better, have no nappy rash and really love them.

Not all the reactions were negative either - my sister has just converted too LOL!

Like Sammi I used terry flats on my DD but gave up at about 5 months so I've copped it this time - just do what I'm planning on doing - prove them wrong!!

I think I heard too many horror stories when I was PG with Matilda, and then I tried with flats for a few weeks but gave up really quickly, with Jovie it took a while to get to using them, but now I do I love them soo much, I just keep telling people they aren't what they think.

bah humbug... cloth nappies, esp Mcn are easy peasey.. whats not easy is dealing with the addiction. LOL...
    just dont say anything, purposely do a nappy change in front of them... be so good at it- with ur wetbag and stuff ready to go... they will have jaws drop in horror at how easy, clean, fast and pretty ur babes bum will look...
    i also have in my head facts about sposies v's mcn... like...impact per infant per year...
    energy use- cloth= 2532 MJ, sposies= 8900MJ
    waste water-cloth=12.4 cubic metres, sposies=28 cubic metres
    raw materials(non renewable)-cloth=25kg, sposies=208kg
    raw materials(renewable)-cloth=4kg, sposies=361kg
    domestic solid waste-cloth=4kg, sposies=240kg

-it takes as much energy to produce one disposable nappy as it does to wash a cloth nappy 200 times...
    i could go on....
    my daughter Eden has had 3 disposable nappies on her toosh in her life and she is 9 and half months old... she has never ever had nappy rash...
    people that bag others annoy me... especially when they are ill informed and judgemental.

Meh, we all get it. I don't know why others care so much? Why do others care what other people use as poo catchers anyway??

I told my mum and MiL I was going Cloth, both bought me sposies as "you'll need them". I was told that I was doing too much and just go disposable for a few days by my GP - I told her no way, I couldn't cope with changing the bins so much, remembering to buy the nappies, spending that much money on something we don't need...

I love my cloth.

Lol Tarusa, never mind them! Honestly, I love these people who say, Oh it's too hard, you'll never cope. Even if it was flat nappies and soaking and scrubbing...my mum didn't actually die from it, she just worked it into her routine!

Seriously though, you can totally do this! Just be prepared, what's that saying, fail to prepare - prepare to fail. Just have everything set up so when bub comes, everything's within arm's reach and you have a system that works for you. Ask anyone who knows me, I'm chronically lazy, and cloth nappies really aren't much harder than sposies! They're more fun to put on, I only have to walk to the washing machine, as opposed to the outside bin, I have to do washing anyway (in theory), so what's one more load, you're supposed to flush all poo (sposies poo too) down the loo, so the trips to the loo aren't any different either!

I'm with the people who say not to bother trying to convince people though. Just say 'well, we'll see' and they'll smugly smile, and then about a year or so down the track, you'll get some tentative questions and comments of 'oh, that nappy's cute'. I have a smile on my face just remembering those times, it makes it totally all worth it, trust me!!

Oh, and warning: If you need to rave and gush about modern cloth, for goodness sake, find other cloth users: I see my mum go into her 'happy place' when I get started, dh tunes out, but my mcn friends understand. Either that, or they're crazy too.

Nelle, you can't be lazier than me - I breastfeed and use cloth nappies because I'm too lazy to go to the shops in bad weather if we run out! I know I'll never remember to buy the stuff in during my normal day so it will be a dash out.

And yup, everyone loves seeing DS in his cute nappies! I also love not having to pull his trousers up all day, like I did the one morning I put him in a sposie instead of a cloth to use up some of the blumming space-wasting nappies MiL had given me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast