Thread: now or next year????

Default now or next year????

i am really torn at the moment...

i bought a potty a few months back just to familiarise Archie with it so it wouldn't be a shock next summer when i planned to TT him......well....he quite likes using the potty, and is quite switched on about it

He is only 19 months old, i had planned to TT him next Summer when he's 2.5 years old as i thought he will have a better attention span then and it will take less time to get the hang of things. BUT Archie has other ideas...

If he is naked and starts doing wee he will say "potty potty" and run over to it and sit on it, about 3 times now he has done a few dribbles of wee on the potty then got up and done the rest of his wee on the carpet. Yesterday i was putting a nappy on him when he started getting upset, grabbing at his crotch and saying "potty potty", i looked down and he had started pooing but didn't want to do it in his nappy. he sat on the potty but had already finished the poo by then. he gets really excited to flush his offering down the toilet. I bought him some undies like daddy yesterday and he loves them.

he can hold his wee in for over two hours. We were at the playground today and he wet his pants and grabbed his crotch and let me know that he'd wee'd.

I guess what im after is some advice on if i should just go at it and TT now, knowing that it could take a long and messy time, or make him wear nappies til next year when hes older....

Is there anyone here who has TT such a young toddler, if so please share your experience.

(i think im just not ready for my baby to grow up yet)

Elissa.......Clever young Archie!

I was in the EXACT same boat as you.....Olivia was ready very early and got it early.......way earlier than I wanted to be honest! I was heavily pg with Charlie and she was insistent that she wanted to use the loo and no more nappies. But I didn't want to, as both our loos were narrow and I was huge, and I couldn't face all that being pg! Plus it was the middle of winter in Adelaide and the thought of it was just a hassle.......

BUT, she was ready, and there was not much I could so to stop it. I help it off until after I came out of hospital with Charlie so that DH wasn't having to deal.....& by the time Charlie was a week old she was totally dry. She was evidently ready, so it was easy. (Much easier than I had anticipated, and much earlier. She would have been 17 months.)

To this day she has never had an accident. Bless her.....

So, from my experience, if Archie is keen and you are cool with it, go for it! They say that boys take longer, so maybe take advantage of his keenness?

(And can you tell him to explain the whole TT bizzo to Charlie please?! Charlie is a 2.5 year old that will wait ALL DAY until he has a nappy put on him at night to do a poo....little monkey.......LOL!)

lucy thanks so much for your response, i breathed a huge sigh of relief when i saw that you had a similar experience. (i must confess i did have a little giggle at the thought of you heavily pregnant trying to manuvoure Olivia on and off the loo). i can't believe she caught on that quickly!

GL TT Charlie, i guess you can't be that lucky with every child!

Add to that giggle..........she wasn't even walking! (She didn't walk till she was over 19 months old).......so she would bum shuffle to the loo, wriggle from a sitting position out of her pants & undies, pull herself up the little step thingo, then shout for me to get her down........nightmare.......

LOL....oh my goodness i just can't imagine that!! Arch was walking at 11 months i can't imagine him still crawling now, you poor thing you must have really had your work cut out for you!

WOW you girls!

I'd just go with it over summer. It sounds like Master Archie is leading the way!

thanks lulu!

He had a nappy on this arvo, he looked at me and grabbed his crotch and said wee wee with a screwed up face (how bad am i...i said "just do it in your nappy") and he did it in his nappy and got all upset and asked for the potty and told me "yucky wee!". I discussed the issue with my mum tonight and she said just do it he might surprise you, so as of tomorrow Archie is back in undies ful time....not looking forward to him having accidents at the shops though....i guess we all got hrough it at some stage.

once little boys see the joy of peeing on the fence (and the grass and the cat), they often RUN with it.....

PMSL......so true.......I swear to goodness Charlie can hold on to a wee all afternoon so that he can go and do a long piddle with his Daddy on the compost heap..........