Thread: Re-usable Cloth Nappies-any suggestions??

Question Re-usable Cloth Nappies-any suggestions??

Hi,

I have done quite a bit of reading on re-usable cloth nappies and have decided for time, environmental, ease of use reasons, that this is the way for me and my DD due in mid Dec 2007. Unfortunately, there are so many options and brands that it has confused me a bit - so I am looking for some much needed advice on what has worked or hasn't and what brands are recommended.

I have also been told that the ones that use the inserts with a plastic? inner lining on the actual nappy are good to help stop those leakages?? (Does this make sense?)

Please help!

Thanks so much and have a great day, Nicole

Here is a link to the nappy section where I am sure plenty of people will answer your questions.

I use a mix of fitteds and covers, pockets and All in one nappies on my DS#2 who is 19mths. I have purchased newborn fitteds, infant prefolds and covers for my bub in belly. That breastfed poo requires good containment and covers with gussets are high on my list of things to buy.

It really does require lots of reading up to understand all the different types - Oz Cloth nappies is a great site just full of information - but really you can do something as simple as terry toweling or flannelet flats with good fitting covers and have that be effective.

The main emphasis is on more breathable covers - ie not PVC - but rather polyurethane laminated materials, fleece and wool.

I use pocket nappies for my 16 month old DD and find them to be excellent, I think the best thing to do though is get a couple of different things to try and see what you like/ what works best for your bub. I think I have about 6 different brands of nappies that I use.
    I will also be using infant prefolds and covers for the first few months as you need the extra containment for the poo.
    The girls in the nappy thread though will be able to give you some great advice. At the end of the day though it is really trial and error, because what works for one bub might not work for the next.

I have recently converted to MCN (Modern Cloth Nappies) from sposies and so wish I had done it earlier. I think you will be very happy with your decision. But as the others say, there are a huge variety of different types - eg pockets, prefolds, AIO (All in Ones), fitted etc. There is a heap of info in the Cloth Nappy Threads, and also a lot of useful websites out there. I suggest you google MCN and have a bit of a read, then come and join us in the Cloth Nappy Chatter - the girls there will give you great advice on what is good to start with for a NB. GL.

Thanks for the info Robbo3, Ali25 and MelanieR. I have visited the site kindly linked by Robbo3 and got some great info so then went and googled some more. I have since then purchased 1 x Green Kids pocket, 1 x Bum Genius Funtimes (on sale for $20.00 until Fri) and one Hautes. I thought that I would start there to check that they are exactly what I want and what I am expeceting and then maybe make a package purchase from one or the other or possibly 2 of the brands. When there are so many brands out there it is just nice to have recommendations to make the starting point easier.

Thanks again, Nicole

How exciting. Congrats on your first MCN purchase. Once bub is a bit older you could maybe try some fitteds and/or AIOs for ease of use. GL with it all.

Just moving to nappies and toilet training

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolee41 View Post
    Thanks for the info Robbo3, Ali25 and MelanieR. I have visited the site kindly linked by Robbo3 and got some great info so then went and googled some more. I have since then purchased 1 x Green Kids pocket, 1 x Bum Genius Funtimes (on sale for $20.00 until Fri) and one Hautes. I thought that I would start there to check that they are exactly what I want and what I am expeceting and then maybe make a package purchase from one or the other or possibly 2 of the brands. When there are so many brands out there it is just nice to have recommendations to make the starting point easier.

Thanks again, Nicole
    You may find that Green Kids are quiet bulky on a newborn - I have a few here and I don't imagine they will be used till bubs is a little bigger (which doesn't take long) - they can be used as a cover though before they fit as a pocket.

I haven't tried BG or Hautes.

Have a look at Whizz Kidz on Ozebaby for cheap fitted newborn nappies (not sure if there are any in stock at the moment). Also you could look at Tots Bots snappiable (happy baby snappy) nappies as the size 1 fits from birth till 8kgs I think - I have a couple and they can still fit my 19mth old (but he is skinny).

I first got my pockets when DS was 5-6mths and as he was exclusively breastfed till 10mths we had a few issues with poosplosions as they only offer one line of defense. Now that he is bigger it's not so much of a problem.

Has anyone tried Pea Pods? I have looked at them in a store and they are lined with a waterproof fabric which would mean a bit of a wipe inside and a new insert and they could be re-used maybe 2-3 times before washing them again?? I have received the Funtimes and the Green Kids and they look great but aren't lined with anything waterproof. I am still waiting on the Hautes model.

any suggestions on fitted nappies that are lined with a waterproof fabric?? Thanks, Nicole

I'm not sure reusing them like that would be a god idea. The microfleece inner isnt waterproof, it still gets wet it just is no way near absorbant as a natural fabric which is why it has a "stay dry" effect. It would retain a bit of urine and I imagine would get a bit smelly if it was used over 2 - 3 changes.
    Did someone at the store tell you to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolee41 View Post
    Has anyone tried Pea Pods? I have looked at them in a store and they are lined with a waterproof fabric which would mean a bit of a wipe inside and a new insert and they could be re-used maybe 2-3 times before washing them again?? I have received the Funtimes and the Green Kids and they look great but aren't lined with anything waterproof. I am still waiting on the Hautes model.

any suggestions on fitted nappies that are lined with a waterproof fabric?? Thanks, Nicole
    OK - I think you need to do some more reading on the make up of the nappies you are buying. It will help you figure out what to buy and what types of materials you want to use. As I mention the Oz Cloth Nappies site is great.

GreenKids "Funtimes" are a pocket nappy - they have a PUL outer (waterproof polyurethane laminated cotton) suedecloth inner you stuff the inserts (hemp, cotton, bamboo) in between those 2 layers - through the "pocket" at the back. The urine wicks through the suedecloth into the insert and the laminated material stops moisture leaving the nappy (unless it is super wet, in which case you will get wicking). GreenKids "Anytimes" are polyurethane laminate polyester which doesn't wick as much.

PeaPods are the same type of nappy - polyurethane laminate polyester outer and microfleece inner. The urine wicks through the micorfleece into the insert that has been put inside through the "pocket" and the laminated material stops moisture leaving the nappy.

You generally would not reuse a pocket nappy as the inner of the nappy will have a certain amount of urine on it despite it not being absorbent.

AI2 (all in two) nappies are sometimes marketed as able to be reused - for example an itti bitti - where you take the snap in boosters out and snap in a new set.

Fitted Nappies are not water proof - they are made with absorbent material and require a cover.

I am not a PeaPod fan - I have found them to be lesser quality in terms of workmanship and materials. Some people love them but we have not had much luck. Alex (the owner of Pea pods, Snaps Aust and lily pads) is great to deal with in terms of customer service but they are not a nappy I would recommend based on my experiences.

As I said it might be best for you to read up on the different types of nappies - AIO, AI2, pockets, fitteds, flats and look at what they can be made with to give yourself a better idea on what will suit you.

Some stores offer a "mixed bag" of nappies to get you started and to also allow you to try a few different brands and types of nappies before deciding which type is best for you and your baby. I think the ones with the waterproof outer shell you are talking about are Eenees, but I don't know how reliable they are as I've never used them.
    Last edited by Tanya; November 17th, 2007 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Remove promotion