thread: Why Fluff ?????

Jan 2008
    Victoria

Question Why Fluff ?????

Ok now don't attack me.. *hiding in the corner covering my head* lol

I don't understand everyone's addiction to Mcn's.
    Tell me what all the hype is?
    Convince me they are better and why?

Follow Pandora On Twitter

Jan 2005
    cowtown

cos they're soft and pretty, and you can pat them all day long..mmmm..minky...
    disposables cost a lot more, DS would go through a box a week. We have a f/l cycle washing machine, so its not a lot of extra water when we're using half what a top loader uses anyway.

Oct 2007
    S/West Sydney

Its environmentally friendly, natural and kind on my sensitive bubs skin... sposies give her rashes. There cute, fluffy and soft. I hate paying for things i throw out. and once u start u cant stop its an addiction...

Add Kazbah on Facebook Follow Kazbah On Twitter

Sep 2006
    Dandy Ranges ;)

Because I look for excuses to show off Pip's gorgeous bum, instead of hiding the paper & plastic from sight.

They are a functional fashion statement.
    And I love knowing that now I no longer *need* to buy nappies. I choose to instead! And that's even if I have another 1, 2, 3 kids ...

Add ~clover~ on Facebook

Sep 2007
    travelling

Coz they are sooooo funky!
    Oh & good for the environment & bubbies butt.
    But mostly the funkiness! The softness, The minkyness...
    All of the above.
    Oh & its really not any extra work. Pretty much the same. Just no stinky bins.

Dec 2007
    Sunny Qld

Cos I got sick of throwing money in the bin basically. I got sick of having one kid in nappies and totally stinking up my bin with crappy sposies. Couldn't imagine having two kids in stinky nappies stinking up my bin!!! LOL

First time I used a MCN I felt a weight lifted off my shoulders - I really did. Felt much better knowing that I was doing something better for the environment, rather than rubbishing it.

Love how functional they are. Love that I can adjust the absorbency for my kids needs, cos DS used to wet through a sposie overnight and I got sick of changing the sheets late at night!!!

Love minky... mmmm.. minky... *drools*

Especially love the looks you get from people - "yes I'm one of THOSE mothers.. "

ROFL

Once you go cloth - prepare to be addicted!!!! (Well, first overwhelmed by all the information and choices - and THEN addicted )

Mar 2007
    Paradise

For us it was more the cost than anything, but they are so gorgeous. For me to have enough nappies to have 2 in cloth full time was about the same as buying disposables for a year, and they last longer than a year. MCN also take less work than Terry Flats and breathe better.

Jul 2004

Well for starters they are just so damn gorgeous! Disposibles smell and make bub smell like wee, cloth does not even if i have just taken a sopping wet nappy off him. They cost a heck of lot less than buying sposies every week. Only 1 extra load of washing per week which is effortless. And i like to know i am not throwing plastic into the enviroment that doesn't break down and leaves a nasty mess. They also last more than 1 child so are even less expensive that way.

Jan 2008
    Victoria

Thanks for your replies
    Ok i agree that they look cute etc
    I understand its better for the environment, but surely it is more work for yourself?
    Also i know a few of you have changed from sposies to cloth recently when bubs is older, do you think it has made it more expensive now after being in sposies for 10+ months?
    Is it worth changing now, being Hamish is almost 11 months?
    Given i am not sure i am able to have any more kids will i be able to resell them?

Dec 2007
    Sunny Qld

Yes you can resell them (on buy for baby not ebay) so not only are you getting monies worth - you will also get some back - can't say that for sposies.

I'd say I will still end up saving money. I have nappies that will do for the 3rd child - and then I will still be able to sell them - so will do 3 kids PLUS get some money back.

I wouldn't say its that much more work for myself? I do a load every second night, and then the next night, put the machine on rinse, and then hang them out inside. Takes me about 10 minutes to hang out nappies. Then when its time to take them off - I throw inserts in the dryer for a few minutes if not completely dry - and then it takes about 15 minutes to put them all together. However - I have 2 in cloth so I would have double the amount that you would.

I started when DS was around 14 months and I'm glad I would never go back. I do have some sposies left over, but I don't think they would fit the kids now, and I've never needed to go back to them (nor would I want to!)

Oct 2007
    S/West Sydney

AbbIt wasnt a huge switch for me... we have been using flats during the day for ages... i only used them when going out and nights until i found MCN's. It has cost me a bit but now i dont need sposies anymore... DD as u know is same age as Hamish... so i dont think she will be TT for a while and i intend on having another so it wasnt so bad for me... i was buying box a fortnight so bout $35p/fn calculate that over a year its about $900... Once i get enough to last 2 days i would have only spent about $400-500... Only cos i brought babylegs to match... LOL.

Jul 2004

Its not that much more work for me. 1 extra load of washing per week and folding them is rather therapeutic for me.

He's only 11mths old so a long way off from toilet training. So i reckon it'd be worth it.

Sep 2008
    South West Sydney, NSW

For DP and I cost is a huge factor... when we found out we were pg we were ecstatic as we were actively TTC - but then things started to happen... DP is an independent contractor and we had to start relying more and more on my wage to get by. This was my huge panic moment - how on earth were we going to survive with a bub $$ wise.

We then decided that we would use cloth - I spend now on cloth so that once bubs is here the $$ that would have gone to nappies can go to the other things

Add ~clover~ on Facebook

Sep 2007
    travelling

As I said, its not any extra work to me. ATM I am doing a small load every night. I hang them on the clothes rack out the front to get the morning sun (all the sun we get, lol) & if not completely dry they go in the dryer.
    10 minutes to hang out, 10 or so to fold.
    I only have about 10 MCN's & 8 terry flats. I started with flats, while waiting to get the MCN's. I buy 1 or 2 MCNs a week. So I end up spending around the amount I used to spend on sposies.
    The ones I have are enough. I don't need any more long as I wash every day, but I do anyway, so thats no big deal.
    You can easily resell, or I plan to keep mine for my sister & SIL. My sister is 19 & a long way off having kids & she already can't wait to be buying fluff!!

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

lots of things helped to decide me

my mum used to do FDC and her bin always reeked from sposies! my bro and SIL then had three kids and it continued. i looked at using cloth as the bins are smaller now than they used to be, and i just can't stand the smell of sposies in the bin. i wasn't keen on the idea of flats (cos i've seen too many kids pull them off) plus i hate (with a passion) the old "plastic pants" - i wanted something that would breathe. i have very sensitive skin myself, so am assuming Gremlin will be the same

when i joined BB, i started looking around. had never heard of MCN's so when i seen them mentioned, i had to look (i'm such a beak!) - and i fell in love. over the time we were TTC DH and I spoke about the impact (environmental, financial) of both sposies and MCN's and came to the conclusion that MCN's would be better for us - we live a fair way from anywhere that i can buy sposies, for a lot of the time, given DH's job, i will be doing this solo - so we wanted to be as prepared as possible for me to NOT have to go out for anything if i don't want to. so we decided on MCN's!

my mum was dead set against cloth - told me she'd have a stash of sposies at her house for Gremlin for anytime she is looking after her (mum will care for her when i go back to work after 12 months) - i told her to give it a chance, see what MCN's are about etc. showed her and dad some fluffy mail one day, and the biggest issue we now have is making sure that we have outfits taht work with the fluff when she's at Granmas! Granma has even said she'll probably work out what nappies work best for Gremlin and buy her own stash for the two days per week bubba will be there - huge turn around!

Feb 2009
    On the couch.

Sorry not to hijack this thread but...
    how would you girls reccommend a lazy person do mcn's?? I do washing once a week, so the thought of doing washing every 2 days, AH! we dont have a dryer either...

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

jords - if you're not an active washer (i'm certainly not) you may find you need a larger stash. a lot of ladies on here are able to get by with very few nappies cos they are able to wash every day (this probably applies to larger families cos they have no choice!) - as a once a week (or fortnight) washer myself (i live alone a lot of the time and refuse to wash unless i have a full load) - this is something that has bugged me a bit - how can i be motivated. however, i decided to make the leap and simply commit to washing at least twice a week (only nappies though - the rest can still wait!) - it means having a larger stash of nappies, but i can cope with that! my intent is to wash every second night but not having pressure on myself to do so. i probably have enough nappies for four days, so could go to three days and then just dry in the dryer if we need to (so i do have an advantage over you!) - but it's one of those things you have to balance yourself

Dec 2007
    Sunny Qld

Jords - I'm a pretty lazy person (truly, you should see the rest of my house) but the thought of the nappies sitting there for more than 2 days with pee in them - yukko - nope, its easy to chuck her in the washing machine and let it do its stuff!!! lol

And sometimes - I even get DH to do it