Thread: First poo on cloth!!!! advice needed.

Thumbs up First poo on cloth!!!! advice needed.

So i've discovered the wonderful kindness and thoughtfulness of cloth nappy karma!
    Christy has sent me some wonderful cloth nappies to trial - and we used our first one overnight.
    Worked perfectly but DH forgot to change first thing when he got Ruby up, so she did a big poo in it, oh well gotta experience poo and cloth nappies some time!!

So I flushed the poo down the toilet (right?) and put the rather wet cloth nappy and insert(pocket or soemthing??) into a bucket.

Now what? even though it's wet can it be left for a day? or does it need to get cleaned straight away? I don't want to run a wash with just one nappy in it!
    thanks so much all you gorgeous cloth nappy mums out there. I feel part of the new powerful community of mothers caring for planet earth while they care for their babies bums.

Plus I've never seen people get passionate about huggies the way they do about hemp, cotton, etc nappies. Plus how cute are the knitted puls? I'd almost use cloth nappies just for them!

LOL Nickel, no you don't have to wash a dirty nappy straight away. Luckily, or my washing machine would be going constantly. You can dry pail the nappies (that is have them in a bucket without any water or anything) for 2 or so days. I like to wash them every two days, but sometimes, now I only have one in nappies, it can be 3 and there is no problem. Some people rinse them straight away and then dry pail, others leave them as is and rinse before washing. Or if they're not too bad (like when the poo was solid) then they don't really need rinsing at all.

I am so glad that you are trying cloth, I hope you are as happy with cloth as I am. Christy is the kindest person isn't she! GL with your cloth experience. I think this might be the first poo of many LOL!!

No need to wash straight away. Just rinse off any remaining poo (are you using liners?). If it's dripping wet with water, ring out any excess water and then chuck it in dry bucket and wash in the next day or so when you've got a bucket full.

Glad to have another Mum on the cloth path!

Celsie. xoxox

Claire Guest

I don't rinse, I just dry pail and then do a rinse cycle in the machine...... but I'm thinking of getting one of those spray hand held thingies (can't for the life of me remember the name of it!!) for cleaning nappies at the toilet.

Wink next detailed question!

Yes a friend has one of those - not little squirt - I think that's a boy's toileting aid, but similar, It fixes to the toilet and then you just wash it off.

So if you don't rinse are you just leaving the poo on the nappy for the day or two it's in the bucket? Despite the fact she's nearly two, Ruby loves grapes and the poo was rather runny! so no nice experience of just "rolling the solids off" so to speak. (I can't believe I'm discussing all of this - it's amazing what having children does to one)

SO I may have to leave gloves at the ready for all this rinsing and wringing -

Nickel we rinse our nappies - we don't have one of those things that fix to the toilet but a bucket in the lanndry. We rinse the pooey nappy into the bucket to collect the chunky bits (TMI I know, but we ARE talking about poo here LOL!) and then tip it down the loo. Better than trying to get the poo down the plug hole! (for anyone grossed out about poo going down the sink, it ends up in the sewerage system, not the stormwater drain )

Mostly Flynn's poos stick to the liner so we are rinsing every pooey nappy. With pi$$y nappies we dry pail then do a half-load rinse in the machine before we wash. As we use mostly flannel flats (we only have 5 MCNs for Flynn and none for Ollie) we occasionally soak the nappies overnight in a bucket with a cup of white vinegar to get rid of any lingering smells.

Cloth rocks, eh?

Guys - i just flushed the business down the toilet, put it in the bucket and washed it the next day. Did a rinse cycle first, and then just put normal wash, and line dry! The other nappies I didn't even flush (suggested by Christy)
    worked a treat! No need for flushing or attachments to the toilet or rinsing poo down the sink! So this method totally suits me.

Anyway I'm totally enjoying this whole cloth nappy thing. It's very cool!!!!
    Thanx for all your replies.