Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to wash modern cloth nappies?

Default How to wash modern cloth nappies?

I was just reading the cloth thread and read that you don't need to soak or napisan them.

1.) So how do I wash my AIOs?

2.) How do I wash my terry towelling flats?

So you wash them by themselves? Can't put them in with other clothes?

I do same as Shannon, but I throw in all of Indah's clothes as well, I only use Cold water too...
    When I change bedding etc I throw all of it in together!!!

Oh okay. Thanks. So can you put them in with regular washing (i.e. not baby washing)?

OOOh, I meant Indah's bedding, so it's technically all baby stuff so all Indah's clothes, towels, bedding etc!!!

Debbie Lee Guest

I don't wash my nappies with other stuff but you certainly can, Dgirl. I just find that I usually have a full load once I am ready to wash the nappies anyway (I only have a small washing machine).
    I've only ever washed in cold water and haven't had any probs with the nappies being stinky.
    Just make sure that you regularly dry the nappies outside in the sun and fresh air to get those nice UV rays

So i got some square regular terry towling dryglow nappies(you fold yourself) I dont have to soak? What do you do about stains? Sorry im going to be a first time user and went and bought napisan!!!

Debbie Lee Guest

I think with terry towelling you still have to do the napisan thing?? I'd wait for someone more "in the know" to answer tho.. I could be talking out my butt, LOL

Oh...you can't drypail terries and flannies?

Can I just dye my nappies black so I can't see any stains?

Hee Hee, black nappies would probably be the best way to go!!!
    Yep I drypali my flats & dont have stains, just as you do modern cloth, throw them in a bucket & with a newborn (which is when I use my flats) I actually washed every second morning, rinse poo off (which is pretty sticky & runny) & then throw nappy in the bucket & no need for soaking, napisan etc!!
    Although I did throw a bit of napisan in the washing machine every few weeks with my nappies, I just didnt soak them...
    I had also bought napisan (b4 I knew about dry pailing)... or just return it Caddie & buy something else???

Happy nappying!!!

Debbie Lee Guest

Well... there ya go! Shows how little I know, hehehe.
    Actually... my Mum has been using terry flats on Gabby when she looks after her and I've just been dry-pailing them too. I just thought I was being nordy, LOL.

So why did people used to soak them in the old days?

Debbie Lee Guest

Maybe washing powders weren't as good??? I have no idea!

Maybe in the olden days they didnt know about sunshine killing germs & being able to bleach stains etc????

As with anything in life things change as we learn more...

But all of my nappies work just fine, so I dont wnat to be adding harsh chemicals to Indah's skin as well as to the enviroment...

Well you learn something new everyday! Its going to make life easier knowing i dont have to soak them for days on end!

Napisan and similar products ruin the elastic and PUL in your modern cloth nappies.

Te he...just wanted to add my 2 cents worth.

Wooo just think in a few weeks time i can put all this nappynerd knowledge to use.

Debbie Lee Guest

That's right, Chrissy!! Ooo how exciting!!!!!

I'm really slack.. I don't even bother rinsing off the newborn breastfed poo before drypailing. I just chuck the lot in the machine, do a rinse cycle, add the rest of his clothes/bedding, then run the machine on a full cycle. No problems so far with stains.
    I do use fleece liners tho to help protect the nappies and a wahmies PUL nappy bin (I use a 50l bin) liner to keep the bin clean. I wash the bin liner with the nappies and so far, never needed to touch dirty nappies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast