Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloth Nappy Making #4

Nice Honeyboys Leebee!

I did my first fleece nappy !!!

Only one problem -the metal snaps won't snap. Darnit. So will replace them with velcro if I can get the snaps off!

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...00/ppuser/4972

looks great!, try going over your snaps again, maybe you havn't squished the centre prong enough

I have tried that - I can't actually get them inside each other? Ahhh well.

*Nessa* Guest

Hi everyone need help regarding covers !!!

I was wondering, I am having problems sewing on the Velcro. The stick I like to use is zig zag to prevent little sharp pokky bits iykwim but when my machine is stitching it , it sometimes doesn’t complete the stitch properly like every now and then it was zig zag but it goes straight. Most of the time. Is this because the material is to corse??

How do I stop it from doing it??

Nessa, I had the same problem & gave up. Try adjusting your tension a bit looser maybe. I just bought a snap press instead LOL. You could maybe try different velcro also. What are you using atm? Maybe try some of that wizz bang stuff you can get on line. But can't say if it will help or not like I said I just bought a snap press instead LOL

Hey, who's got a cutting board? Like, for a rotary cutter? I've got a titchy one, which is a bit pointless really. I think I need to just bite the bullet and get a big one. Is there anywhere cheaper than Spotlight where I can look?

you could get iron-on velcro

Nelle - join "freecycle" and look out for an old wooden table - or pick one up from the Salvos etc. Having a dedicated "cutting table" is a brilliant thing!

Yes Nelle the Reject shop. I got an A2 sized one for $6! That is not a typo!
    That was at FG but I assume they are all the same price. If you can't get one let me know and I'll pick you up one for the next meetup

Nessa you could have a blunt needle. How old is it?

Also is it the top or bottom thread that is causing the problem?

ETA iron on velcro could work but I'd think that the iron could melt the fleece and make it look a bit naffy.

hi ladies,
    i never thought about making cloth nappies till i started looking aound on the forums, do you have any tips for a new to making nappies lady
    thanks Tan

*Nessa* Guest

Raven- I have no idea how old the needle is, mum gave me her machine and she hadnt used it in ages. Luckily i have brought a snap press. BUt it was the bottom thread that wasnt catching IYKWIM

That will make it very loose and sloppy then.

Hi Tan! If you can already sew then you are half way there You can get some free patterns if you browse about on nappycino. There are a few you can buy also such as Very Baby or Honeyboy which come with very detailed instructions.
    Get some cheap fabric for your first couple of attempts. ie old flannel sheet or towels. No point in wasting the good fabric till you're sure what you're doing

Where do you live?

Yep, change your needle Nessa, when sewing fleece using a Ball Point needle is best. You are meant to change the needle after 8 hours of use.

You may find a denim needle with work better for velcro but with the snap press on its way no need to worry!

Whaaaat? $6 are you serious!! I will definitely be looking in the Reject Shop next time I see one!! Thanks so much for the heads up Sam, I'll let you know if I luck out though.

Nelle it's actually in this pic in my gallery http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...834/ppuser/677

Oh wow that looks great - you should see me trying to move my tiny board under my material for cutting boosters - it's ridiculous. I think I'll just keep that small one for scrap/cardmaking stuff.
    Oooh I hope I can find one!!

*Nessa* Guest

Nelle- i have seen them everywhere. And Yep reject or go-lo (dont know if you have that there)

So you use them to measure boosters and liners??? YOu just use normal scissors??

CAn you tell i am new at this!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast