Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloth Nappy Making #4

Default Cloth Nappy Making #4

This is a thread for those who sew their own nappies to discuss techniques and materials and share hints and tips.

Your moderating/admin team for this forum are:

Astrolady - [email protected]
    Sammi-j - [email protected]
    Tanya - [email protected]

For basic cloth nappy information, please checkout the Cloth Nappy Information sticky.

Previous thread HERE
    Last edited by Tanya; June 6th, 2008 at 10:46 PM.

OK, I remembered what it's called.

If I want to do applique to a fleece cover, should I use fleece for the design as well? Or could I use a satin / cotton? And should I do another layer in between (a third layer) to give better absorbancy?

Ta in advance

u can use whatever you want for applique as far as design does but if you want waterproofness use an artificial fibre so not cotton. What works well is felt espesh wool felt if you cna get it but the artificial felt is okay too or other bits of fleece..... all sorts of things! just make sure your thread is polyester too not a cotton blend.

ta melbel.

Quick question girls .... has anyone had any luck modifying a honeyboy pattern to reduce the crotch width. It's enormous on Jambin! The poor little fella's knees are pointing sideways lol.

Cherie - I've modified my pattern. It works fine - as in I've had no complaints! Plus the type of fleece you use has an effect on trimness. 300wt is thickest then it's windpro then the thinnest is windbloc (which is different altogether IMO, some weights don't even feel like fleece. Sometimes it's two layers sandwiched together with what looks like PUL inbetween - very thin).
    Another thing migth be to slim down the width of the hidden soaker so the fleece can roll in more when you put teh nappy on (not increase the amount of fleece rolled in to sew, but pinch the nappy together a bit when putting it on - makes the crotch a little baggier but does shorten the bulk between the legs if that makes sense?)

Question

As a newbie to nappy making, what fabrics should I use? I currently have money shortage and am using the middle of the nappy cut up terry squares.

thanks for your help!

If you only have terry to use and $ is tight, then just use the terry...though you'll have to get something more absorbant for when Jensen's older. I've only used MM fleece so can't compare it to others, except that it's the very best. Other WAHMS use Spotlight/Lincraft fleece and it obviously works for them.
    OR:
    And I love this one! Check out opp-shops for fleece jackets and vests and if it's a good brand (ie: Kathmandu, Feathertop etc.) then buy it and chop it! I've found a MM Polartex fleece jacket before and it was something ridiculous like $3 (ha, and then I found $5 in the pocket once home!).

Do you have a pattern? You can buy them at theweewuns (dot com dot au) or there are some free ones if you check out ozclothnappies dot com dot au.

Cat that's a great find!

I did a bit of sewing yesterday and finished off a few nappies i've has on the go. Put some pics in the gallery http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...500/ppuser/677

Very productive Sam! Do you sew on contract?

Nah Kaz I'm too slack for that
    I'm not kidding when I say I've had some of those nappies on the go for that long Caleb will grow out of them soon!

I lost the bug for some reason. Got it back now so my next goal is to finish the nappy I started making at Melbels sewup cos I had to unpick it. At east I got that done.

I know I have to prewash the bamboo, do I need to prewash polar fleece & microfleece?

They shouldn't shrink but they may bleed colour especially if you was in hot water.

I like to do a special wash just for the fabric that I'm going to sew with when I have a buying spree. I wash it all up and then it's done and ready for when I want to sew.
    Some of the polar fleeces, flanelettes and minkys are really bright. I've had a laundry disaster with a black minky blueberry which gave a few of my nappies a grey tinge for a couple of months so I learned my lesson and will always pre wash the bright stuff on their own.

ETA got my spotlight catalogue today and their nappy flannelettes are all on sale! Whooopppeeeeeee
    Last edited by ~Raven~; January 10th, 2008 at 09:54 AM.

I thought I should post an update of how my Honeyboys are going. Photo is here - from top left going clockwise I have 4 which need legrolls, top stitching and velcro, 3 that are totally finished, and 5 at the front which just need the front loop sewn on (its pinned on at the moment). I'm quite proud of myself, I don't think they look too shoddy at all.

With the honeyboys, are they patterns you've bought?

Doh. I just made the first liner out of my bamboo and I forgot to put in a seam allowance

But I uploaded the photos.
    Last edited by Kazbah; January 10th, 2008 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazbah View Post
    With the honeyboys, are they patterns you've bought?
    Yes, I bought the pattern from the wee wuns. The pattern is adaptable from AIOs to plain shaped nappies, covers, and side-closing nappies. I reckon it could be adapted to a pocket nappy too but there are no instructions for that.

I *thought* I was finally finished all 12 just now but looking at them I realised I've got two things left. I need to make the channel for the back elastic (a straight line, so no biggie) and I need to unpick and resew the hook on the tabs as its not holding properly. My machine was being a poo when I started and I think the tension was not right.

*toddles off to wee wuns*

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast