Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Cloth Nappy Making #4

thanks nelle and sam. yeah Nelle, that was kinda my plan. mmmmm maybe i should start with wipes!

Sammi i look at on overlocker with all that thread and stuff and i go weak at the knees, they look much more complicated than a sewing machine!!! maybe i will have to get you to give me a demo one day! in your spare time that is!!!!

i was looking at a couple of my nappies and they look simple enough, i think i just need someone to show me how to sew elastic in and i think i could fashion up some sort of nappy. Even just a shell i can lay my maz trifolds in to start. a girls got to start somewhere! Or maybe i should buy a pattern with instructions!

If it helps Ange, I've got an overlocker and an incredibly cheap sewing machine, and I'm far more confused by the sewing machine...

Morning ladies

I've just had a read of the last few posts. I'm waiting for some bamboo to arrive, but should I be prewashing BEFORE cutting and sewing, or is it ok to prewash once I've turned it into a nappy?

cheers
    Pam

Yes - defently prewah your bamboo Pam as it shrinks...which reminds me I must prewash mine.

Im on a mission this weekend. i need to make some minkee topped boosters for Vy cause im so sick to death of her getting NR all the time. IM going to make 10 - one for every of her magicals and them I thought I might make some spares.

Ange - if you think shiating yourself about the overlocker is bad......i cant even touch my embroidery machine with out having my dacks full! And my stupid computer wont read the disc that comes with it...so I might have to get the 'old' hard drive out and connect that up.

SO what are we doing for mothers day????? Im going to sew I think....I need to relax alittle

ETA - Tanya why didnt you ring me you silly woman!!!!!!!! I could have come over and helped you. WTG on the nappy to lovie

My bamboo arrived!!! Yay.

WOO HOO PAM - im cutting some of mine up today now cause ive so gotta make boosters for Vy

It's in the wash right now, along with some of the terry/flannel MCNs I've already made. I hope they don't fall apart! Providing they survive, it'll be good to see how long they take to dry. Fingers crossed for sun tomorrow.

i got some maxi swirl today so IM hanging to use that...might have to try it out on the OL when I make these boosters

Hope its sunny for you tomorrow Pam

where do you get maxi swirl?

whats the best pattern for nappies like tot bots or bamboozels??? wanting to make similar with bamboo

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by maz View Post
    WOO HOO PAM - im cutting some of mine up today now cause ive so gotta make boosters for Vy
    hope you don't mind me asking, but why use minky for the stay dry fabric?

isn't it all polyester? i thought 100% polyester fabrics was what Vy and bilby react to? so i assumed i had to avoid minky next to her skin?

i've been using cotton velour to use as the top layer of boosters and for inside nappies, (80% cotton, 20% poly) and we've had success with that.

have i misunderstood? i know you post about poor Vy's skin getting irritated (i presumed by synthetic fabrics).

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by FionaJill View Post
    where do you get maxi swirl?
    places like

autumn threads
    the weewuns
    fairy fabrics
    baby delight
    nappyworks
    nappies covered

anywhere that sells MCN making materials.

i have one, never used it cos i don't know how to thread the darn overlocker!!!!

Can you just trace around a Tots Bots Jols? Call me optimistic, but they don't seem too complicated...:P

WHERE can I get sherpa? I've got awesome wipes with sherpa on one side and I want to make some!

I'd do what Nelle said Jols

Nelle SL sell a cotton rich fleece which is similar. Bubba Earth sell it too!

I bought 15 meters of the Cotton rich flece from SL the other day LOL.

GiGi- to thread your overlocker why not try the tie & pull method. Cut your already threaded thread at the top so its still threaded & turn all of your tension knobs to 0 & then tie your new thread to the ends of your old then pull the old thread through the machine at the needles. Do it gently & your thread will go through the machine & your new will thread in its place KWIM? Just remember to turn your tension to 0 & then back to its normal settings before trying to use it.
    Its how I do mine.

ta nelle!!! would they be better with aplix or snappi?

Gigi - Vy reacts to hemp mainly and micro fleece so I made a few boosters a while back with minkee tops on them and they worked really well. Dont ask me why but if it works im gonna do it . I eneded up making 6 of them, all different gelato tops...and really do we need an excuse to use minkee pmsl

Fiona - I got my maxi swirl form a chick on wahmnaps that is selling up her stuff cause shes closing shop. Ive seen it cheap on ebay (USA). A few Asutralian stores dont stock it anymore. Your goona pysl at me...Ive been using my OL for almsot 2 years and last night I finally worked out (thanks to Melbel) that I dont have to rethread it everytime I want to change colours. DER MAZ!!!! I use to sit there for hours getting the tension right after rethreading...it use to drive me NUTS!!!!

Jols - I would so do what Nelle said - trace a nappy hun. Oh Id go the snap option if you can,.....its just cause i hate velcro

Nelle - Ive found Babys delight the cheapest for sherpa lately....I so have to make some more wipes to.

Glad that eveyrone is coming back in here talking sewing again. WOo HOO

Well the good news is the MCNs I made didn't fall apart in the wash. The bad news is everything's on the line and it's raining. Oh well, bubs is due in July, so this is what it will be like I guess.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast