Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PUL suggestion

Default PUL suggestion

Ok, I dunno much about cloth nappies & theer users but I thought I would make a suggestion. Its probably somethign someone has already thought of years ago!
    While I was pg I was looking at the idea of making fitted nappies but the cost of PUL put me off. Anyway I bought a mattress protector today & its made of a terry towelling /PUL material. I paid $35 for a double bed size. That would make a HEAP of covers. Just thought I would share that, I thought it would be a cost effective way of getting the PUL material.
    Do people already do this?

Interesting...what brand was that? I'll have to go sus one out!

are you sure it was pul and not pvc??

Yep, I didn't want to put PVC on the bed so when I fpuind this I grabbed it. I have thrown out the bag it came it but I am 100% sure it was a Polyurethane backing.
    Ok hang on, I have pulled off the care label, Its "Tontine" brand. Cotton Polyester upper (80% cotton 20% polyester) with a polyurethane backing fabric.

ETA- I got it from Big W, but have seen them in best n less as well. Also they have a bit of the material attached to the outside of the packet so you van feel & see it as well.
    Last edited by *Efjay*; November 29th, 2006 at 11:30 AM.

That is interesting. I have slept on allergy free protectors in the past and foudn them horrible as they dont breathe. Perhaps a PUL one wouldbe different??

FJ - this is a master stroke - not only as a source of PUL but also because I've been wondering what people put on their beds in late pregnancy in case their waters break during the night. I might use it as a mattress protector first then cut it up for covers later.

Brilliant.

LOL thats a good idea!

What a fantastic idea!

i might have to go have a look and try it out

Since getting into cloth, I think the PUL covers would work but its much thicker then nappy PUL. But I still think it could work.

I'm a very very new beginner of making cloth nappies!!! lol....

Just a quick question
    - can you get PUL from Spotlight or only on the net? seems like its expensive stuff...
    - does the PUL make the outside cover of the nappy or does it go 'inside' as an inner layer? sorry i am sooo new at this....
    - can you get nappy patterns at spotlight? i've seen them online for free anyway....
    - how many layers does a fitted nappy need??
    and
    - is flanelette ok to use as the inner? cheaper?

thanks

No you can't get PUL at Spotlight.
    You can use some PUL's as your outside layer. Wildchild Day Dreamer Nappies use a PUL outter. Peapod are another but hold the two together & they feel different. Although I believe Wildchild are about to change the PUL they use on their prints.
    You can get PUL from Bubba Earth thats plain white & some people use this under (hidden) a nice outter layer.
    You probably can find nappy patterns at spotlight, I know I have seen baby patterns that are for little suits, hats etc & will have a nappy pattern also. But there are some great free ones online anyway so I wouldn't bother with trying to find them at spotlight.
    As for how many layers it depends on what material your using as your absorbant layers.
    You can use flannel as the inner. Do you mean the inner absorbant layer or the inner layer thats against the babys skin? If you mean the layer against the skin then yes you can but you would need to use a liner to get that staydry effect. Microfleece is good to use for this.
    Now is a good time to get your fleece cheap. Go to spotlight & see what they have left. If you can find the "Little Additions" range of microfleece this is nice for nappies. They also stock a Micro POLAR fleece. This is ok, but I found it a bit harder to sew with. Not sure why but my machine didn't like it.
    Spotlight don't keep fleece stocked over the summer months which is why you will need to either ask if they have anything left of seach for it BUT if you can find any it will more then likely be reduced to clearence prices so if you find a heap grab it because come winter those prices will shot from $4 a meter to about $12.
    Another nice nappy useable material at spotlight is the Cotton Rich Fleece. Its absorbant & makes a nice outter layer & is nice for wipes are well. I have about 8 meters of it! lol

MMMMM I want to go to spotlight now but I know my local is out of the fleece etc, I bought it all already LOL

FJ -thanks so much for your help.... ! its a bit scary when you have no idea where to source all this stuff lol i looked at your nappies they are so cute! :P

My first project is a Cotton Fitted. I've got cotton for the outer layer, then in the middle i'll have microfleece (will try and see if spotlight have any left today!) and on the babies skin, i'll try the flanelette... might also head to Kmart and grab a pack of the terry flats to use as another layer of absorbency.... or maybe cut them up to use as liners...!??

its all experimenting i guess hey... i havent sewed in 13yrs! got my first sewing machine yesterday from Spotlight (it was on special!) Brother. and i am already hooked!!

oh, and Lastin or FOE? what's best to use??

and is Microfibre the same thing as microfleece?? same thing? different word?

No No, Microfibre & Microfleece are different. I fyou use Microfleece in the middle it wont work. Microfleece isn't absorbant. You use it as your stay dry liner so the layer thats agains the skin. So you couldhave a nice cotton outter then say your terry toweling for your middle layers, which you can just do 1 layer that is the full shape of your pattern then a rectangle soaker panel in the wet zone then Microfleece as your inner.

Microfibre is a absorbant material. if you have alook in the cleaning isle at the supermarket there is all those wizzbang cleaning clothes, these are microfibre. You can use microfibre as your absorbant layers but it sbest to beck it up with something else because if you squeeze it the liquid will come out. so if you have it between a some layers of say bamboo or hemp or even terry towelling it will give you a very absorbant nappy. If you look bacj though my blog there is a photo "how to" for making a nappy.

For a fitted napy Iwould just use elastic, Swimwear or Braided & about 6mm minimum width, I think most use 12mm. FOE is good for covers or AIO's but its bugger to work with so save that for when you have had a few goes.

Thanks FJ! Sorry to be a pain hehe
    I went to spotlight earlier today and got a few supplies - (it was a new store opened near us so lots of clearance specials and cheap prices ont he materials!)

6mm braided elastic i bought... and i got some flanelette (pattern one and just plain white one) few metres of each to play around with, also got some Polar Fleece (pink) - i hope thats the right stuff? for the middle layer?!? reading above, now im confused! lol ---- its called "little additions micro polar fleece" thats what i bought, thats all they had the lady said.....
    i'll check out your blog for sure....
    ive been reading all the nappy making websites trying to learn as much as i can its just all a bit confusing at first hehe

I guess i cant really make one now until i have got some PUL from the net? is that right??? sorry for all the questions promise its the last one!!!!!
    Last edited by Shanti; November 18th, 2007 at 05:32 PM.

Its ok, I don't mind at all. Ok Picture this Your otter layer can be PUL or even your Flannel (but will then need a cover) then your Middle layer is something absorbant. Then the inner (which is touching the baby) you can use the Microfleece (little additions is spot on!).
    You can make a water restant layer by using 2 layers of Polar fleece (the thicker fleece at spotlight) it wont be fantastic but it will work for at home. Good to make covers from.

Believe me I was just as lost as you to start with tnow 6 months later there is no stopping me LOL.

How do you plan on closing your nappy? Velcro?

Yep - just sticking to the velcro at this stage!! seems the easiest way for a beginner....?

ok i pictured what you said and it makes sense... kinda hehe

This is what i have to work with -

Flannel (outer)
    Polar Fleece (inner)
    Absorbent layer (in very middle) - terry towelling (I bought a pack of 12 cotton towel flats)
    (correct me if im wrong with what im about to use please!)

as for template, and copying something, i went to BigW and grabbed one of those cute little $5 white cotton cloth nappies to use as a sample one to copy and so i can see where they have put the elastic, the velcro etc etc.... also cut out the absorbent pad in the middle and it looks like 100% polyester fibre (microfibre) they've used... I think hehe i did grab something at spotlight but then put it back wasnt sure if i should have taken it now...

i guess i can just make the nappy then run some water into it to test it out!!!
    and like you said, if they are [email protected] then they can always be used for a "stay at home " nappy! hehe
    i want to make a good one soon for my niece before she gets too big!

**EDIT**
    whats an Overlap? is that a cover that goes over the nappy that you make or buy?
    &
    Can i buy PUL online only? thanks!
    Last edited by Shanti; November 18th, 2007 at 06:02 PM.

Yep Online is the only way I know of to buy PUL OR you can send your own material away to Wildchild & they have a PUL service where they will have your material laminated but I think thats about $19 a meter to do, but if you had something you really liked & wanted to make a nappy from then it would be worth it.
    Your set up sounds good. If your using the towelling as your absorbant layer just do one piece that is the full pattern size then do a few layers as a rectangle booster to add to it (explained better on my blog) I think 3 or 4 layers would be good. Then you can make a lay in booster to add extra to your nappy once its done. So you could make a rectangle of say 4 more layers of towelling & top it with microfleece & then you have your lay in booster.

Now the nappy you cut open from Big W uses wadding its not absorbant at all. If you tipped a cup of water onto that it would go straight through. Don't worry about it for yours, not worth it.
    Cheap alternatives for extra absorbancy are the microFIBRE cleaning clothes I mentioned earlier. You can usually buy a square of it from junk shops & you just fold into 3 & there you go, an extra booster for your nappy. But don't place it aghainst the babys skin, people say it drys out their skin. What I did was bought a heap & folded them into 3 then sewed on a layer of micrfleece & I use that as my booster on a lot of my nappies. Its good because it adds some fantastic absorbancy & by placing it ontop you get a faster drying nappy with good absorbancy. Once you have gotten the hang of things get your self some Bamboo or Hemp to use. But again only available online.

Where abouts are you?

eta - overlap??? Um unless your talking about having the wings so they overlap so you can close the nappy smaller? So if your using velcro to close you could have some ont he outside of one wing to you can close it tighter & it will have a place to join KWIM? Wildchild overlap, itti's are another that do, um I think BBB's do as well??
    Last edited by *Efjay*; November 18th, 2007 at 06:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast