Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PUL suggestion

Thanks for that info!

Overlap - yeah that is probablywhat they meant... ikwym... velcro on the outside to make it smaller...
    i might do that on mine...
    ok i'll do the full pattern size in terry towelling and then cut up a few 13x30cm (approx) pieces for the booster pad/liner that comes out of the nappy. i understand now why this is done so it makes the nappy itself less bulky hence easier to wash and dry faster...
    ok so PUL buy online only and Hemp/bamboo (will get into that once i know what im doing hehe)

thats terrible about the BigW nappy, i wonder why they sell them then if they are useless? yeah they arent very thick at all! hhmmm maybe not a good example for me to use then! hehe

as for MicroFIBRE cloths, yeah i know what you mean i think we have some in our kitchen so i might try and get a hold of some of them...

with the 4 layers of terry towelling & microfleece, i'll use the polar fleece (that i have) instead with the 4 terry towelling.... that should do the trick? if not its all good practise for me anyway

im in the gold coast are you in Vic?

Still do maybe 2 extra layers in the wet zone attached to your middle layer. So cut out your bits then sew on a panel in the center of the middle layer. Then Also the extra lay in bit.

Im In NSW. Pretty much up in the Blue Mountains.

ok so pretty much 3-4 full size sheets (pattern size) and then 4 inners at least! in the "wet zone"... i get it ...
    oh blue mountains - nice part of the world!

I've been looking at nappycino a bit thats got some great info about diff types of materials/fabrics and their advantages/disadvantages.... that along with your very helpful info is making it more clear for me
    thanks soo much for your time i really appreciate your help and guidance.... its a fun project making nappies hey!!! keeps my mind busy anyway whilst ttc!i'll check out your blog now...

Yep so 1 layer is our outter, 2nd layer is your middle , 3rd layer is your inner (baby) & then add 2 o3 extra bits to your middle layer. Have you looked at my blog? Its onthere what I mean. back in the october posts I thnk.

Hey!!
    Yeah i checked out your "october" blog last night and it makes perfect sense! The photos and the way you explain it is easy to understand..... definitely much clearer now
    I can't wait to finish this first nappy and upload a photo of it! its soo fun i'm already hooked!!! finding the time often is hard but i am trying to do bits and pieces here and there each night and on weekends
    also going to order some PUL and hemp/bamboo online in a week or so, for my 3rd nappy to give that a go!!! as i get better :P

I'm new to the nappy making game as well - I bought a Honeyboy pattern online to use as it comes with full instructions and pictures and I like the tabs. My newborn size nappies are going to look like this:

Outer: Microfleece (for aethetics only)
    Hidden Outer: PUL (for waterproofing)
    Soaker pad: 2 layers of 100% terry toweling sewn to a full layer of flannel
    Inner: Flannel

Additional lay-in booster:
    Back: Flannel
    Inner: Terry toweling
    Front: Microfleece (should theoretically wick moisture away but that might be polar fleece)

I'm using standard braided elastic as its what the pattern calls for.

I figure with a newborn I'll be changing frequently anyway so the main issue is poo containment, not wee absorbtion. I'm going to get some hemp or bamboo or microfibre for the soaker pad for the bigger sizes - which is the most absorbent?

leebee - your nappy sounds wonderful! how much was your pattern? I might have a look at that one...

yeah im using 6mm braided elastic also. and velcro... im about to attach the velcro on my nappy tonight!!!! yay!

one thing i did wrong, was the ELASTIC attachment! oh my gosh, how is the easiest way to do it? i sewed it on tight and all but then had to sew on the outer layer last, should i have done this first?? lol i couldnt sew outer layer on properly (now its crooked!!) as the elastic was pulling tight if that makes sense haha silly me... DH suggested i sew the nappy and then unpick at the top and add the elastic in that way and feed it thru - was he right? he seems to remember heaps from sewing class in school whereas i dont!

so my next question is - (related to the thread anyway!)

where do i purchase the PUL material from? Bubba earth? I have registered with them anyway.
    and how much do you think i should purchase to start off with? I might do what you are doin and put it just under theouter layer. so its notseen but is there as waterproofing.

mmmm not sure what you have done there Renstar. mmmm you need to have all 3 layers sewn together before the elastic goes on. So have your Middle layer on the table then lay your inner layer on top with the right side facing up then place your outter layer on top of that with the right side facing down. Sew it together leaving a hole big enough to put your hand in.
    Now before turning it right way out, add your elastic. Once your elastic is added turn the nappy right side out. then sew your hole closed.
    I might make a little video & add it too my blog. Might be fun LOL.

Bubba earth sell it, um tiny toosh sell it also. you can buy nappy cuts of it also. You need about a 50 by 45cm bit for 1 nappy so use that as a guide of how much to buy.

what you just explained to me, is what DH was trying to explain to me earlier!! lol... ah i see... well, um this nappy is no good then! lol i had no idea that i needed to sew from the inside then turn it outside woopsies... it looks cute anyway... just shows the stitches on the outside.. but its yellow fabric with polka dots and white thread so you cant really see the thread anyway! might be a good 'home' nappy one day lol.... its a start!
    im about to buy some PUL from bubba earth, thanks.

and with the video, please dont hassle yourself with it unless its something you want to do for yourself anyway... if you do it, let me know and i'll watch it

yeah I was going to do one anyway just for fun.

and sorry but I just have to say it, Derrrrr at sewing the nappy the way you did lol.

you're mean!!!! I haven't sewed for 13yrs mind you!!! lol... i still think it looks pretty tops!!haha

I've just been reading this thread... and I make mine with Terry (touching the baby), 4layers of terry sewn to the bit touching the baby and just a cotton print on the outside to look good. I don't really use covers, I like to know when he's wet. I've made a few and they work fantastically well on Jensen. I'm trying to sell one on eBay now, but I've only got watchers... No-one wants to buy it. I gave one as a christmas present to a lady at mothers group, and they all think I should see if I could sell any at the markets... How well do you think I would go?

My materials I use are mainly the ones we have at home(or in most cases, at MIL's), which is her old stuff and stuff thats been donated to us... We don't have a big selection, and most of it is a bit girly.... Can't put it on a boy!

Is there anything that I should do differently?

Thanks!

sconeonamission
    I make my own nappies too. PUL outer, flannel soaker(taken out to wash), microfleece inner. I used to use polarfleece as the outer, but then tried the PUL, and will never look back. I tried to sell my nappies at the local market, but found that ppl were too lazy to wash them and stuck with the diposables. No matter how much you tell them that it isn't hard to wash them, they dont believe you. Will check out your nappy on ebay.
    If you use mircrofleece next t the babys skin instead, they will always feel dry on their skin (unless they are soaking wet that is) You can still feel if they are wet through PUL as it isn't fully waterproof. As you can imagine, it breathes so you must be able to feel the moisture at some stage.
    Last edited by Cherene; March 2nd, 2008 at 07:22 PM.

Hi there,
    I'm about to give nappy making a go too. I have been thinking and looking for ages and have to say, FJ you really inspired me!!! I looked at your blog pics and yep, I reckon your photo instructions are ace! Even I could do that hehe. Thanks so much for your time and patience letting us beginners get the know how from you.

Off to fossick in my fabrics cave.... might find my way out by tomorrow hehe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12