Thread: Is it really worth buying patterns? (eg. HoneyBoy!)

Talking Is it really worth buying patterns? (eg. HoneyBoy!)

I've been looking into nappy patterns and I'm just wondering if it's really worth buying patterns..

I'm mainly thinking at the moment of buying the Honeyboy! one but it seems a fair bit of money for us at the moment...do you think it's worth it?

Honestly i wouldn't pay for them when i can get free ones off the net. But that's just me.

Perhaps practice with some of the free ones off the net, and then if you decide you're getting the hang of this nappy making business, it might be worth buying a pattern that is tried and true that people love!

Personally yes!

I bought the Honeyboy! pattern because I love the fit of them on C after buying a few from catnaps and loulou. Even though it is a costly pattern, the pattern is cheaper than buying one nappy.

I also bought the Very Baby AIO pattern for the same reason!

Thanks for the replies!

I am going to buy a pattern...and was just thinking I would get either the HoneyBoy! or Cuddlebuns one..does anyone have any info on why one might be better to get then the other? Or is their another one I should look at?

hon depends on you.....I love both Hb and CB's. would you prefer an AIO (hb) or a a nappy that needs a cover?????
    ah bugger it get both ROFL

See that's my problem Maz, when I can't decide on what to get I always end up buying both!!! Not good..

oh hon....have achat to bridie she makes Cb's and OMG they are to die for...they are gorgeous...but so to are Cat's HB"s and Ive seen Sammi's Hb ahhh god dame it my mouth is watering!!

ROFL Maz

Lee I would think about what you use more. If you use fitteds and covers or use AIO's.

Now to confulse you more You can make AIO's and fitteds from both the VB AIO and HB pattern as it includes the instructions to vary the pattern.

Also the VB pattern is easier to snap (if you prefer snaps) but I'm figuring out how to do the HB one snapped cos I like the deco tabs.

Dunno if I helped you at all with that but it's something else to think about.

personally no... i got a heap of free ones, and i ended up changing the pattern to suit me anyway, once i knew how to sew it that it. I created my own template which is better.

Some i have found, the crutch is too narrow, too short, tabs to thin etc..

I originally just bought a Fuzzi Bunz and developed my own pattern based on that. I had to fiddle with it a bit and it took a few nappies to get it right. When I needed a fitted nappy (once he was sleeping longer at night) I got a couple of freebies off the net. I made a couple and didn't like them. I could have altered the fit etc. myself but it was heartbreaking when the fabric is expensive and you don't get that much time to sew. Instead of playing around with it like I did with my pocket pattern, I just bought the VB pattern (I had bought a couple of VB's to try out first). It worked perfectly first go - worth the expense in fabrics saved mucking around with those online patterns, all of which seem to be a bit dodgy without alterations. It's better to go with a pattern for a nappy you know works on your child, especially since every child is different.

FluffyLaRue Guest

I'd get both I love the ease of a ready to go pattern- then you can make adjustments and suit it to your needs. Oh and I've seen some Gorgeous VB's - you can make a fitted and an AIO ... noice!

Hi,

Mum and I have decided to make some nappies for DD, and Mum wants to buy a pattern, but I have no idea where to get one..

I have only used Pea Pods which were a gift, and the normal terry toweling flats when it comes to cloth. I like the idea of MCN's and figure that even if I don't get them totally sorted for my DD, at least I will have them for # 2. I figure getting out of disposables now is better than not at all .

So any suggestions on where I can get patterns and preferred brands (and why), would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Heather

I've just been through all this myself!

I ended up just using the free Wee Weka pattern off the net. I tried making my own which worked ok but was a lot of fiddling and adjusting which I don't have time for! In regards to not using expensive fabric, I used old towels and old flannelette sheets for experimenting with, that way it cost me nothing! I've actually just made 6 from old towels and sheets now and I don't think I'll bother with buying new fabric, these ones are just fine and oh-so cheap!