Thread: have you had bowen therapy??

Question have you had bowen therapy??

so i am getting it done tomorrow and this is one alternative therapy i have not tried before..
    does anyone have any experiences to share?
    i am getting it done for my tailbone that i have been having issues with for about 1.5 years.

thanks

I took my daughter to this when she was younger. It was okay, but I don't know how much it actually achieved. I guess it says quite a bit that we only did a few sessions and didn't continue. I however, couldn't live without my osteopath - particularly when pregnant.

Hi Lulliloo, I have had bowen therapy done, as a matter of fact for a tailbone injury, I was running to class at school and slipped on my butt on the door matt outside class and injured my cocyx, to the point where I could harldy ride in the car as I was in so much pain going over bumps, 3 sessions of bowen later and I havent had a problem since. You come out feeling like you could run a mile, well I did anyway lol. If you have any specific q's I would be happy to answer them if I can

Good Luck xoxo

Default have you had bowen therapy??

Let me say - I'm biased because my Mum is a Bowen therapist.

It's very good. I've got lower back problems and have had a sore tailbone since giving birth. I've also had a babywearing injury to my shoulder. My Mum has done Bowen on me and there's been significant improvement.

I've also seen another Bowen therapist (my Mum doesn't live near me) and that was also good. It helped with my cycles and period pain. My DH got lots of help for his bad knee with the same person.

Good luck. I think you'll be well looked after. It's similar (but different) to osteo and chiro.

wow great to hear some good results....
    im actually getting it for free coz the guy is still a student at it and has to get up a certain amount of practice hours up.

salad i hear you about going over bumps in the car. i didn't even do a certain injury it just started being sore one day. i used to bus to work and oh god that was hell.....

I loved it! It is very different to a regular massage - it's more of a manipulation of the muscles and putting them where they should be as opposed to rubbing them I suppose. I loved it during pg as well - I had pre and post birth sessions and it made me feel great.

my mum had it done regularly a couple of years ago and it really helped her back. I had a therapist come out to treat my horse too and you could tell he really loved it! He had a sore back and it got him back to normal again. Was kind of funny to watch, the therapist was a fairly short and very petite blonde lady, she had to climb onto a crate to be able to reach his back as he wasn't a small horse. She did a great job though.

I think it's a bit of a weird sensation at first (horse kept turning around to look at what she was doing with a funny look on his face and his muscles were all quivering), but it will be worth it! I think it's a lot better for you than a chiropractor as it manipulates the muscles instead of grinding your bones together as they are clicked back into place.

I've had it and find it wonderful.

It was explained to us as sending messages through your muscles to help the body restore itself to the right positions rather than doing it by brute force like with chiro.

You can feel great afterwards - but for me, because there are just so many things wrong with my body, it's a bit like being hit by a truck and I'll become extremely exhausted for the rest of the day but will feel fantastic when I wake up the next day. It's important to drink lots of water afterwards.

I just wish I could afford to do it more often.

BW

Quote Originally Posted by ss_storm View Post
    my mum had it done regularly a couple of years ago and it really helped her back. I had a therapist come out to treat my horse too and you could tell he really loved it! He had a sore back and it got him back to normal again. Was kind of funny to watch, the therapist was a fairly short and very petite blonde lady, she had to climb onto a crate to be able to reach his back as he wasn't a small horse. She did a great job though.

I think it's a bit of a weird sensation at first (horse kept turning around to look at what she was doing with a funny look on his face and his muscles were all quivering), but it will be worth it! I think it's a lot better for you than a chiropractor as it manipulates the muscles instead of grinding your bones together as they are clicked back into place.
    DH and I use both bowen and Chiropractic to complement each other. Sometimes you will have muscles out of alignment and therefore they pull the spine out of alignment and vice versa. If you do need Chiropractic, then no amount of bowen or other therapy will help, just like if you have muscles that are pulling your spine out then no amount of bowen is going to fix that. You need to use them both together to get good results is what we have found.

BW, how much do you get charged for it? We only pay $50 per hour and I was wondering if city people tend to get charged more?

Way out here on the extreme western edge of Sydney we pay $70 per session. And our PHI doesn't cover it at all.

Not sure I agree on needing to use bowen and chiropractic together - both DH and myself have used chiro in the past and find we get better results from bowen alone. The therapist we see is also a chiropractor and prefers bowen. That may just be down to the type of issues we have - with all my inflammation from the arthritis I'm just not comfortable with the bone crunching any more. The worse the arthritis got, the less effective chiro became. And DH has a funny rib that needs the gentle approach to go back in and stay in - forcing it in with chiro doesn't help it stay there.

WOW at how much you pay! Our PHI will pay 80% up to $600 per year, so we get quite a few treatments in a year for that. I agree with you that for your circumstances that Chiro wouldn't be a good thing to do.

well im getting mine done at 10am this morning so i will let you know how i feel after it.
    i have had lots of normal massage before, haven't had chiro before. it will be interesting to see how much it helps me.
    does anyone know if it helps with fertility at all? i am mainly getting it done for my tailbone, but i also have arthritis and a dodgy back so it should help all that too.
    wish me luck.

The therapist I saw showed me information that it can indeed help with fertility. We stuck with acupuncture and IVF as our issues were enormous, but it can help.

BW

well my session went really well yesterday. he couldn't do the particular thing for my tailbone that he wanted to as it isn't allowed to be done on the first treatment.
    but my shoulder that i injured 2 years ago is definitely trying to fix itself this morning. very tight and sore.
    so i will have another session on friday.
    he also said that it can help with fertility and that it has to be done on certain days during your cycle. so that may be something in the future that i can look into.

I like to try everything, and I mean everything lol so does dh. We have both had Bowen a few times and honestly I don't think it did much (symptomatically anyway) but I also know that just because you don't feel any changes that doesn't mean that it didn't do something great on the inside Only a very small percentage of nerves are actually telling you about the physical symptoms anyway so I'm sure it did something good. We do prefer chiropractic, massage and acupuncture on a weekly basis and then other things throughout the year when we require them or if we hear of something new to try.

i had another treatment today and i got a very different effect after it (TMI warning). after he left i went upstairs and relaxed for a while. and when i got up to go to the loo i noticed i had a lot of cm. now im in the tww atm and generally have very little cm during these weeks. he did a move on me that helps with fertility and also for my sore tailbone. i know it may not help me for this month ttc but i thought it was odd the effect i got straight after the treatment. the only thing with the move he did he said i had to be sure i was not utd already. now being that im only 9dpo and haven't tested yet i said no.... but what if i am.. i wonder if anything will happen. i have googled(of course) and have come up with no bad side effects of bowen at all.
    Last edited by Lulliloo; August 20th, 2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: added more

Lulliloo, that sounds awesome!
    I'm willing to try anything to help with TTC *off to search in my local area* I must admit I dislike it when health professionals ask if I'm UTD during the TWW, it sends me extra crazy.

Hope the therapy helps with your tailbone, pain and TTC. All the best