Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chances of having a prem baby again?

Default Chances of having a prem baby again?

Hi girls
    Are any of you worried about having a prem baby again? I am really hoping that next time I go full term. It was such a heart ache having a prem baby, and having her in hospital for so long!

xx

Hi Gwen,

I was worried about having another premmie and Alex in th end was born early at 36wks 6days.

They do say having pre-eclampsia a second time is low but i ended up with it again. I was just greatful that i managed to hold onto Alex that little bit longer than i did with Kimberley.

I had my Alex at 35 weeks due to pre-eclampsia, and am now nearly 36 weeks (and hating it). I've been monitored really closely this pg as I have a family history of pre-eclampsia.

Apparently it all depends on the reasons for prematurity. If you had PROM (premature rupture of membranes) it's more likely to happen again, but with p/e you've only got a 1/10 chance of it happening again (not like 2/100 the first time).

I've got high blood pressure and health problems at the best of times, so i'm absolutely terrified of getting PET again! Did you girls feel ill with the Pre Eclampsia? I felt poorly for weeks after delivery because of it! Glad the chances of getting pre eclampsia are less the second time around though...! O

Just read this thread - I must have missed it when it first started....

I am always wondering whether I would have another prem (although I think at the moment that two kids may be it for me).

The female ob who delivered my 27 weeker (following Premature Rupture of Membranes), said the risk of having another prem would be 7-10% for me. Another ob estimated a general statistic of around 30%. These odds influenced my recent decision to have Implanon put in my arm!

Hi - I can't speak for myself on this one, I went two weeks over - a lady I played netball with had both of her daughters, four years apart, but both at around 30 weeks. She said they didn't know why it happened.

Also, a woman I used to work with, fit as a fiddle, heathly and all that had pre eclampsia and had her first child at 29 weeks and her second died in the womb at 30 weeks.

Does anyone know why some women get PE ?

Barb.

I don't know why some women are more at risk. Hopefully in time research will provide answers and preventative measures. I have read a list of steps to take to avoid future Prem.Rupture of Membranes, and you would practically have to stay in bed for most of the pregnancy.

The medical advances for saving prems have been amazing - I read something like 30 years ago only around 5% of 27 weeker prems survived, but now at least 95% survive.

I've done lots of research on this, because I was/am terrified of having another premmie because of a huge family history of p/e. However, with a large amount of monitoring, I'm currently 36+4 which is almost term! So it all depends, I think.

From my reading, it does seem that PROM is more likely to happen again than other reasons for premmies. P/e is not quite as likely, but as Michelle says, it does happen. I think it all depends on you. And each pregnancy, for each woman, is different, so you might be right as rain next time!

Mind you, I'm gonna be REALLY pi$$ed off if I go overdue!

I had pre eclampsia with my first baby and delivered at 35 weeks. For my second baby I didn't get pre eclampsia and my baby was full term. For my third everything was going fine until I got a severe stomach bug at 34 weeks which they believe caused my waters to break. So another prem but different circumstances. I am not sure if this helps but I thought I would share my story.

Best of luck and sending positive vibes your way.

kirsty Guest

I too am scared of having another prem, especially seeing as how someone said that if you had one because of PROM you are more likely for another one.

I had my son at 32weeks due to PROM at 31weeks, then last year I lost my second son at 18w5d from what they have told me was an infection in my waters.

But am concerned about having another baby prem, OB told me that I have the possibilty to go early but may go over just as easily.

So probably no help at all.

it looks i may have my 2nd early as well. My DS was 3 weeks early due to pre eclampsia however i was hospitalised for 2 weeks before that( allowed home for the weekend but i had to go in each day for check up). But it appears this one may be early as i will be induced. I am taking clexane injections and in order to prevent excess bleeding at birth i will be taken off the injections at about 37-38 weeks and monitored and then induced when the time is right (once the drug has depleted enough from my system). Aparently this needs to be done also if you intend on having an epidural. I did last time but who knows with this one. Better safe than sorry I say.

Good luck Kaz! x

froofy Guest

I will watch this topic with interest, as I too had premature rupture of the membranes last time and am scared it'll happen this time too

kirsty Guest

Froofy I'll be watching your pregnancy with much interest here now!!! How early did you go with your baby?

I am petrified of it happening again in this pregnancy.

froofy Guest

I gave birth at 8 months on the dot. My waters broke and I gave birth about 24 hours later. I also had to be induced twice. Another thing I wonder about, is the cause of it last time. Last time, at 3mths, I fell over walking down the street and my waters broke then, the docs think this was because of a tiny tear in the membranes. I'm wondering if this may have caused my waters to break early, due to previous damage? Good luck with yours, too!

Apart from the lungs not being as completed as they'd be at 40 weeks or even 38, does it really matter?

Only asking coz, mine were both early by 5 weeks?
    And it's likely that this one will be also, hey too me they come out when ready, DON'T THEY?

kirsty Guest

Provided you can get the steriod injections for their lungs I guess it isn't such a big issue health wise ~ as long as they aren't too early.

My main concern isn't so much for the health factor, but more for the how will we cope if it is like last time now that we have a 3 1/2yr old. My waters previously broke at 31wks & I spent a week in a hospital 5 hrs away from my DF & any of my immediate family. I then spent a total of about 5wks working towards getting my baby home from hospital to hospital closer to home.

And like I said my main concern is how it would be for my 3 1/2yr old who isn't going to really understand why mummy isn't home.

Plus I found having a 32weeker to be physically exhausting with all the emotional side of things that go on with hospital visits & the like.

Would just be so much more convenient for me this time around to go much closer to 40wks.

froofy Guest

I really don't want to be too early, because I really want to breastfeed longer than I did last time, and found my daughter was having difficulty latching on. She could breastfeed ok, but we did have problems we wouldn't have had were she born closer to term

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast