Thread: Hi to all

kirsty Guest

Default Hi to all

Hi guys, just popping in to say hi to you all, this topic holds a special place in my heart & meaning for me being the mother of a premmie & look forward to being here to help you all out.

Recently I have been appointed as a moderator for you all, so I look forward to getting to know you all a little better.

As long as you'll have me that is????

Kirsty, how premmie, was your baby?

of course we will have you Kirsty

Love

kirsty Guest

Nadia ~ my little man was born at 32wks weighing 1738gms or 3lb13ozs.

Hi Kirsty. How long was he in special care for? Seren was born 3lb6oz and was in hospital for 5 weeks. x

kirsty Guest

James stayed in a hospital with a level 3 nursery (special care) for 5 days, then we moved to a hospital with a level 2 nursery (deals with babies born after 34weeks & some special needs) for 14 days, then spent about 3weeks in our home hospital which is only a level 1 nursery (only deal with babies born after 36weeks with limited complications). So I guess we spent about 5weeks all up moving down the care level until we finally got him home.

Ali O Guest

Default help with breast pumps

Hi there,

my sister gave birth to a beautiful baby boy William last Friday at 33 weeks. They are both doing quite well under the circumstances but she is quite emotional about being released today and not being able to take Will home with her.

She has to buy a breast pump asap and is not sure whether to go with an electric one or a manual one.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have heard that the manual ones are better however given that she has to express 100% of the time at the moment, maybe electric would be the way to go.

Any suggestions??

Ali, I would definitely recommend electric, I have the Medela double pump and I used it full time for a while, it was great to be able to express both breasts at the same time, it saves heaps of time and actually gets more out (IMO anyway!)

Best wishes to your sister.

Ali she may be spending a lot of time at the hospital and therefore can use their electric pumps. Perhaps a better option would be to hire one for a couple of months?

I got by with the hospital equipment and bought a hand held pump for night-time expressing, which suited me fine (they are quite a bit more gentle on the nipples, especially if she is a first time breast feeder)

Hope that helps.

By the way, it is really, really hard walking away from the hospital and leaving your baby there. She'll need heaps of support from you guys.

Thanks for introducing yourself as Moderator here Kirsty - lovely to have you in the role.

Hi to all the other prem mamas too! I have a 9 month old baby who was born at 27 weeks (she is doing great) as well as a toddler son who was born full-term.

Re breast pumps - almost everyone seems to go with the electric one, but it is possible to use a manual one to express pretty much the entire feeds as I did this (medela manual pump) for 4 and a half months..... I had tried the electric version in hospital and found my manual one quicker and somehow more agreeable for me to use..
    I was prescribed the medication which makes your milk go up as I was finding it hard to meet my baby's increasing milk needs when she wasn't sucking at the breast properly.
    I gave up in the end as it was so very tiring expressing all round the clock and my baby wasn't gaining weight well and was lactose intolerant at first, and in my experience it just seemed more realistic to go with a suitable formula with a calorie supplement.