Thread: How can we help out?

Default How can we help out?

Our friends had their identical twin baby boys 3 weeks ago - born at 25 weeks and 4 days gestation. They are little fighters and so far are doing as well as can be expected. As they are so premmie their mum is staying in a unit near the hospital so she can be at the hospital each day (they live about 1.5 hours from the hospital) and dad is working and driving from home to the hospital several days a week. A friend and I plan to do a big cook up of dinners for them to freeze so mum and dad just have to pop dinner in the microwave each night and not think any more about it. Anyone out there who's had a premmie baby, what kind of help/gifts did you find most beneficial during this time???

hi there
    we had twins at 30 weeks
    you are great people to help out
    we would have loved someone to take over the mundane tasks for us
    -water their garden
    -put out their bins
    -mow their lawn
    -feed their pets
    -help clean their house
    -drop in fresh bread/milk
    -collect their mail
    also if you could act as a go between so they don't have to go home and ring heaps of people on the phone with updates would be good. Even organise an email to let people know or sms of the boys progress- that way they are not bogged down.

also ensure that they have plenty of film or their digital camera is free to take photos- get them developed for them and put them in an album

and when you come into the hospital to see them- take food and drink in for mum or dad as its hard to get out to eat most of the time they are in NICU

HTH these ideas help and any help is appreciated- big or small
    odette

For the Mumma,
    You could put together a hand care package as multiple handwashing is mandatory in NICU/SCN, mine were like sandpaper after the first week.
    A nice journal for her to write in.

For the Pappa,
    If he has to go through tolls- a prepaid E-tag. In Qld I think the cheapest in 25 a month.
    Most hossy's have a parking ticket plan thing that lasts a week. It usually works out alot cheaper than paying as you go. When I was in RBWH it was $15 a day but $45 for a weekly multiple entry ticket.

If you are into scrapbooking or know someone who is that might be nice. I cant think of much else right now.

We certainly appreciated all those things when our son was in hospital for 3 months odette and tiffany.

We also found the extra cost of petrol a bit of a strain.... so if you know anyone who would like to contribute to a fuel card that would help.

Maybe your DH or another male friend could offer to drive the babies' father to and from the hospital one day a week, to cut down on driving for him and also give him a chance to unload/de-brief about what he's feeling etc? (Sometimes it's easier for a bloke to do this in a non-threatening situation like in a car)

wow you are fantastic person for helping out!
    My little man was in the SCN for 3 weeks and at the time it felt like forever!
    Food is the BEST thing anyone gave us, it made things so much easier!
    I agree with the hand care package too. I also think magazines or books anything like that to pass the time while you are there. Cos you want to just sit next to them all the time, even when they are just sleeping! The mags don't have to be new or interesting, just something to do
    I agree with the friend driving! A friend used to pick up DH some days from work and would have a coffee and snack ready for him in the car! Often you don't get to eat till 10.00 at night so snacks are great!
    I hope your friends babies come home soon!
    xox

Hi Guys, thanks so much for all of your idea's. There is so much there that I never even thought of.

Some great ideas suggested there!

I can't think of any to add... but I wish the lil bubs the best of luck.

they are all great ideas.
    food definatley, the last thing u want to do after being at the hosp all day is cooking.

even just remembering to say congratulations to them. giving them a congrats card.....because they were so early and prob quiet sick lots of ppl feel scared to congratulate, they are still there sons they still entered this world and still deserve all the fuss a full term newborn would get.

and when you do get to go see them tell mum and dad how gorgeous they are, how cute their little hands and feet may be, special features about them that momentarily might take their mind off all of the wires and tubes they probably have.

You sound like great freidns and the fact you are asking for idea's would mean a lot to them.

i hope they progress well. please keep us updated