Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Premmie Mums

Divvy- Thats so very nice of you. I would love to have a few things you have but don't want to be greedy and take everything. Nixon was quiet a good size for his age so i don't think it will take long for him to grow out of 00000.

Once Nixon is home and we are settled we should definatley pick a "in the middle" place to meet up!
    So where is the Vic thread?

oh thank god im not the only person who had these withdrawals of pregnancy, i mean it seemed so silly to me seings i now have this gorgeous boy but at the same time i just feel i wasnt done yet being pregnant! So this feeling did it last with you guys for long? Im thinking once Nixon is home with me that will all be in the past but whilst im sitting here without a belly and without a baby its just not right

Ive heard of those things you pout under the latress or sheets how much are they?

Divvy, how lovely of you!

I'm so jealous that all you girls get to meet up! I wish I didn't live so far away!

Nickers, the feeling did improve for me when Joshua came home. There will probably always be a small part of me that wishes I had got to experience everything, but it's not so important when I look at what I do have now. I think you are right though - in the early days it is made worse by the fact that your bump is gone, but you don't have a baby (at home) to show for it.

As for the sensor monitor...I can't remember exactly how much it cost but it was a bit more expensive than the regular sound only monitors. Over $100 from memory. Carrie, can you remember?

ummm...nope, I got mine on sale from babybunting. I've also seen them at target and kmart. So perhaps if they have a sale you could get one Nick- it's worth it. Also - the vic chat is in the 'local members discussion' chat area - just go to the VIC thread.
    Bec - if you're ever in Melb we'll have to arrange to get together!

Divvy- I'd love to get together. Mon and Fri are good for me too, I know your having the double b'day soon which i'd love to come to. I just have to work out what we have on. I have a 30th this weekend and my sisters 30th the following weekend, which I have to find out the date of. I'll let you know.

tiggy Guest

I'd have to buy two of those monitors though, wouldn't I? Carrie - I tried the zantac for Ivy last night and she is alot more settled today. Hope it lasts because when I tried to give her a bottle yesterday, she flatly refused and screamed down the house.

Bec - sorry that Josh is squealing, it's just a phase, I'm sure. I remember not going out forever when I had the girls for fear of what others would think. To answer your question, no, not alot of sleep Ivy woke up an hour after I signed off from BB! Serves me right, I guess.

Hi Divvy, nice to see you in here! How are you and your beautiful boys? Heard you were in the Hunter Valley a few weeks ago, that's where I live.

Nickers, I was glad whan my pregnancy was over but now I am going through this grief thing of never having another pregnancy or baby again. It's a horrible feeling, hard to describe and VERY hard for DH to understand!

Jess - thinking of you, hoping everything is ok and you get to meet your little man soon (but not too soon)

Kitten - how is Maria going today?

OHHH gotta go the little girl is crying again!

PS, Ivy and Noah were too small for any of the 000000 clothes, we dressed them in dolls clothes to start and then found a great online store in America and bought some outfits from there. It just helped to make them feel as if they were a little bit mine.

Hi Tiff - I'm glad to hear that the medication helped. that it keeps doing the trick! Let us know how it goes.

Maria had a good day today, wish she'd go to sleep now though, but at least she isn't crying, just talking to herself in the cot.

Bec - when are you coming back to mother's group?

Carrie, I live literally around the corner from the Baby Bunting in Balwyn...(might be Kew, technically, though!) I'd love to have a get together here. Might have to do the vacuuming first though - comes from having a seven month old who loves eating newspaper and dirt and grass!

Tiff, I was at my auntie's place about 3km from Broke. A couple of vineyards and a lovely new house. I ended up taking Ned to the Singleton hospital as he got a lovely vomiting bug while we were there!

Nick, let me know what you want, again I'm happy to send them to you or we can arrange a pickup.

Jess, hope Patrick stays put a little while longer!

Tiff, hope the Zantac is continuing to work for Ivy. How are your little ones doing today?

Louise, good to hear Maria's doing a bit better. Josh was a bit better last night - woke lots but didn't get upset so I didn't have to get up to him until he got cranky about 5am. I'll be at mother's group on Friday. I've just had a run of things on Fridays for the last month or so! Unfortunately I probably won't be able to come for much longer though as I am going back to work in a few weeks.

We've had a pretty good day. We went to premmie playgroup this morning. The physio said Josh is doing well and gave me some tips to encourage him to sit up on his own and the speech therapist said that he is doing some good things with his talking (as in baby talk). She was pretty impressed with his squealing too! We've now got the flushed cheeks here along with all the other teething symptoms, so hopefully a tooth will be on the way soon.

How is everyone else?

Bec - great to hear Josh is doing so well and I hope the teeth come through soon. See you on Friday.

Maria's top tooth has come through today, thats 3 teeth now. I found out when she bit me at the end of a feed - ouchy.

Just had to share my exciting news that today Nixon was BF 3 times! 2 of those times he didnt need topping up cause he was full as a goog. he also had 1 bottle feed for the first time ever and took it all!
    They took out his nasal tube so for the first time since being born he has nothing on his face.
    And mummy gave him a bath for the first time (daddy had done a few i was abit scared!)
    what a day!

Bec- where did you get onto premmie playgroup?? At what age did you start going?

Divvy- I could come to your place one day if you want, or we could meet somewhere. Or if you don't have a lot of time i could just give you my address. Like i said i dont want to be greedy and take too much as Nixon is going so well i dont think 00000 will be needed for a long time. PM me if you like

tiggy Guest

YAY Nickers!!!!
    What a wonderful day and wonderful to hear that your little man is making great progress.

Nickers - great news, it always felt like a great achievement when I could feed Maria and the nurses didn't need to do a top up.

Hi guys - Sorry I haven't been around for a few days, but I've been pretty busy.

Nick - It's great to hear that Nixon is doing so well. 3 breast feeds in one day is brilliant! It's so nice when you get to see them without all the ubes on their face.

Tiff- How's the Zantac going with Ivy?

Bec&Louise- Hope that your little ones don't have too much trouble with the teething.

Divvy- I wouldn't worry about the house, I know the feeling. ATM my house is clean, as I had mothers group here the other day and DH helped me do a big clean up. It's so nice when the house looks good, but it never stays that way long enough!

The physio and psych from the premmie study came to see Kyla yesterday. They said that her development is in the 25 percentile when corrected for prematurity. The only things that she's not doing are reaching for toys on her tummy and hasn't started pivoting on her tummy. I've been doing ummy time a bit more lately and she's getting beter though.
    They also told me something interesting that you guys might find helpful. I commented that the other bubs in MG were all into playing with their feet, but that Kyla had not shown much interest in her feet yet. They told me that this was true for most premmie bubs. The reason being that Kyla had missed out on the last 3 months in the womb when the baby is curled up without much space, therefore was not used to the sensation of crouching/slumping forward and squishing her tummy. Apparently a lot of premmies arch alot and prefer to lay out flat on their back for this reason.
    They advised to do lots of letting her sit between my knees slumping forward a bit and carrying her in the crook of my arm looking outward with her knees brought into her tummy.

Just something interesting and helpful that I though I might share in case you have similar experiences.

Great news, Nickers! WTG Nixon with the BF!

And Nickers, the premmie playgroup is held at our local hospital once a month. They run it for premmie mums and bubs that have spent time in the Newborn Care unit there. At each playgroup they have a couple of physios, a speech therapist, a couple of midwives who are lactation consultants and a social worker. All the mums have a chat and can ask any of the staff members questions and the physios generally spend some time with each bub to make sure they are going ok. There was a 24 weeker (1.5 weeks corrected) there this week. So tiny & cute!

Wow, another tooth for Maria! Josh is still Mr Gummy!

Carrie, it sounds like Kyla is doing well! We were told the same thing about the arching and extension when Josh was a newborn as he was a classic premmie - he used to lay flat on his back with his arms and legs flat out. He used to arch his back a lot too. (Still does sometimes). We were given a little booklet with tips for keeping him curled. We swaddled him to sleep for months to keep him in the flexed position. It's interesting to hear the things you were told to do too. Just another point of interest...we were also told to avoid stuff like baby walkers and doorway jumping seats as a baby pushes off their toes to create movement which reinforces the extension in the legs and can cause problems with their balance when they learn to walk.

Also Carrie, just on the playing with the feet...Josh wasn't interested in his feet either until recently (think I might have already mentioned that) and I discussed it with the physio at prem playgroup. One other thing she suggested was putting "fun" socks on him (you know the ones that have little rattles and things attached to them) to make him more interested in grabbing at them. I also tried the little rattles that you can attach to their wrists/ankles. In all honesty, I don't think they really made any difference with Josh though, it was just something he came around to in his own time.

How are all the other mums and bubs? :smt039 to you all!

Hi Bec - Thanks for your advice.
    The ladies said the same thing about the jumper - I didn't quite understand what they were alking about so your explaination has helped!
    We do have those little socks from lamaze which I have put on kyla but she doesn't appear too interested. The ladies also advised to put things in between her toes so that she will reach to get them. I think that you're right though - they will probably do it in their own time and not before or after!

Hi guys.....

I really need to find more time to get online.....

hope all your babies are doing really well....

We are in our 4th week home & things are going great, Alexa doubled her birth weight in her weigh in yesterday......she weighs 7lb 5 oz now or 3320 grams.....

Not looking forward to taking her to get her 12 week jabs..... might have to con her dad into taking her......

Better get going the wee toad knows when I am trying to get something done..... she has a "mummy busy sensor" I am sure of it......

I will try & get online more often......

Hi all,

just likew to let you know Nixon will be coming home on Thursday! he will be 3.3weeks old an corrected age of 37weeks. Im so happy was told yesterday morning and have frantically making/freezin meals and getting the house cleaned!

I went to a seminar two weeks ago and had all the arms out laying on back talk, the lady did also tell us the jolly jumpers may not be a good idea? I can't remeber why for this? (I understand the walkers being dangerous even for fulll term bubs) does anyone know or has anyone used one or not used one and what are your thoughts on them?

Hey Girls

Mitch, it is good to hear that things are going well with you. WTG Alexa, doubling her birth weight! I hate taking Joshua for the needles too. I feel like crying right along with him!

Nic, WOOHOO for Nixon going home on Thursday!! That's great news! Just on the Jolly Jumpers...they were what I meant by doorway jumping seats in my post above. It's all to do with the way that premmie bubs tend to extend their trunk and legs. (ie. the stretching out and lying flat). The JJ's make them extend their legs even more because they use their toes to push off and can cause trouble when they learn to walk, as they want to walk on tiptoes. I haven't ever used one with Josh based on the advice we received. Probably just as well because when we stand him up now, he likes to stand on tip toes. The physio told me to just flatten his feet for him whenever he stands.

How is everyone else?

Josh is going well. Having a few feeding issues, but we seem to be sorting through them. I'm not sure if I already mentioned that he can now roll from tummy to back? He has been able to roll from back to tummy for ages but has always got stuck on his tummy which meant we had to flip him back over whenever he got cranky about being there for too long. Well, now he can roll back over himself and he is rolling all over the place! I think he's getting ready to crawl too - he gets up on his knees a lot when he's lying on his tummy and this morning he actually stood up on his hands and feet for a few seconds!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast