Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Premmie Mums

Tiff - I'm sorry you're feeling awful! It's difficult enough looking after one baby and I think that you are obviously an amazing woman coping as well as you have with twins and three other children. I really hope that you have someone who you can talk things through with and who can offer you some help and support atm, as I know that when you're feeling like that it is difficult to do even the most simplest tasks.
    As Bec said, please know that we are all here if you want to talk or need some support. Although I know that it doesn't help much to hear this - you are doing an amazing job!
    Take care sweety.

Bec - I'm glad the visit went well with the MCHN, and 220g is good - especially if Josh's appetite has been a bit off.

tiggy Guest

Just thought I'd let you girls know I finally posted Ivy and Noah's birth story.

HI everyone

Tiff just read your birth story, you are one amazing woman to go through what you have. Your story have me goosebumps. Hope you feel better soon.

Maria is having sleep issues atm, but it has only been for the last 2 nights (not going to sleep until 11pm, so it isn't a sure problem yet, maybe just a growth spurt. She also has 2 more lumps in her gums (top insisors) coming through soon I think, gee breastfeeding with 4 teeth is bad enough, but I am just glad I have been able to breastfeed this long. We find out at baby massage class next week how to relieve teething pain, I think I need that info now.

Hope all the other babies and mums are fine. and that eveyone had happy mother's days. This time next year our babies will ne running around and talkingnon stop and we will just want them to stay still and be quiet.

tiggy
    can you go to your doctor about your PND. Please know that dealing with twins and dealing with premmies is a lethal combination- even for the strongest. Its ok to feel this way. Please speak to a professional. You know were are all hear if you need an ear.

Tiff, we're all here for you, please go and see someone (GP, MCHN etc) about the PND.

And happy Mother's Day for you all.

Hey all,
    Nickers - how are things going?

Hello,
    everything is going pretty good here. Just trying to work out Nixons routine! sometimes he wakes for a feed after 3, 3 1/21 4hrs or even 2hrs! Last night for the first time he went 6hrs over night which was good.
    MCHN came over yesterday, i was a bit upset when i told her he passed his hearing test and she looked in the blue book and said no he didnt. I just read the word "pass" but it said pass with high risk factor for progressive loss.
    DH was bonr with 30% loss in one ear, added to the fact he was prem and had phottherapy are all ticks it in risk factors.
    apparently i have to take him somewhere else to get tested 9will find out next week when i visit MCH centre but im just annoyed that no one at the hospital even told us this, considering we kept asking if it had been done yet (anxious knowing DH has hearing loss) i would have thought if he did not pass we would have been informed......

NIckers- Hmm doesn't sound like they're explaining things very well to you.
    As far as I know, just because he has risk factors doesn't mean there will be anything wrong. Kyla was at high risk because of her prematurity, she had her first test at due date where they said one ear she wasn't hearing low freq sounds, so she had the next test at 3 months (i think), this was ok but she still has to have one at 10 months.

tiggy Guest

uggh!
    I hate this premmie stuff. It's so confusing.
    So much conflicting advice, I don't know what is right and what is wrong. All this second guessing is driving me insane!
    the ECHN came to visit. Noah is 8.2kg clothed. (Please don't say he's fat, I've heard that so much over the last couple of weeks) So, I ask if I can turn his car seat around because that is what is says to do in the instructions. (I'm new to all this all in one carseat business, girls, so bare with me). No she says because he is only 3.5 months adjusted. Not old enoough. Ok, not old enough but too big for the rear facing seat, he is squashed and the straps come below his sholders, that can't be good. No, I shouldn't do it.
    Can he start solids? He is showing all the signs of wanting to eat? Scaling back his milk drinks, watching us eat and copying our chewing.Again no because he is only 3.5 months but he has been here for almost 6, wouldn't his body adapt? He is a big boy, too so wouldn't that warrent starting the solids? I would if he were full term.I don't know though with all thi spremmie stuff.

He is not overweight for his birth age but adjusted he is on the 97th centile, so does that make him overweight?
    He is socially advanced because he has been around for six months but gross and fine motor are only to adjusted age, grrrr. Now we have a referral to an early intervention place because he isn't reaching for things. Help!

As for Ivy, she is underweight and not doing anything much.I've weaned her and she is putting on weight but half the time she just wants the breast. I feel really confused as to what is right for her and whether the BF is just for me, rather than for her wellbeing.
    We went to have their eyes checked and the opthalmologist tells me Ivy is shortsighted and will need glasses before she is one. Poor little girl, did I do that to her because she was born premmie or would it have been that way anyhow and I am just finding out earlier because they check all prems who have been in oxygen??????

Girls, any advice would be great, right now, i'll just keep on chanting 'calm blue ocean...calm blue ocean'
    Thanks for the vent.

Hey Tiff - Firstly take a deep breath and tell yourself how well your doing!
    It is really confusing with the real and adjusted age thing - and I think that sometimes MCHN's overly stress about things.
    Kyla see's a physio and psychologist as part of a prem study - they see heaps pf prems and look at developmental milestones etc - I can give you the number and I'm sure they would be happy to help you with any developmental questions.
    Re: Solids - You know your baby the best, and you've BTDT with baby's before, so I'd say trust your instincts
    Re: car seat - I was told wether to turn the seat around is more to do with the strength of the baby's neck and whether he can adequatly support it when you are stopping, starting etc.

HTH sweetie!

Hey Tiff,

I'm no expert, but I can tell you what we have done with Joshua and hopefully that will help a little...

As for the car seat...we turned Josh's around a few weeks ago. He was around 8 months old, he was 8.5kg and he had good head control. He was also getting squashed up rear-facing as he is quite long and his feet were pressed up against the back of the seat. The guy who did it for us was endorsed by the local council and was happy to turn the seat for us based on those facts. (Josh loves it too. He sits up and watches everything going on and laughs. We haven't had a cranky episode in the car since it was turned).

The solids...I had also been advised to wait until Joshua was 6 months corrected (or 8 months real age for him). However, around the time he was 6 months old real age (4 months corrected) he started getting really grizzly and unsettled. The only time he had been like that before was just before we swapped from BF to formula...at that time, I worked out that he was grizzly because he was hungry. So, at his 6 month paed check up, I asked the paed if it was ok to give him solids even though he was only 4 months corrected. The paed said yes, if he wanted it, to give it to him. Within days the grizzling had stopped, just like it had when he started on the formula, so I knew it was the right thing. We started off slowly with rice cereal, fruit and yoghurt and built our way up to bigger meals.

And no, I don't think Noah is overweight. He sounds (and looks) like a happy, healthy little boy. And to be honest, I don't think I would be stressing about the fine/gross motor skills either. Like you said, socially he is quite advanced and that is natural because he has been around for a while now! But, physically he is still catching up like all premmie bubs do. Some stuff, Josh did on target for his corrected age, other things took a little longer. But he is doing everything he should - in his own time. It took Josh a while to reach for stuff too. Now, I can't stop him. He grabs at everything. (I've been woken a few times by a little hand grabbing hold of my nose - hard!)

As for Ivy, how long has she been on the bottle? Maybe with a bit more time she will adjust and adapt to the bottle? With a bit more time on formula she might gain some extra weight too? Sorry, I wish I could be more help.

Hang in there Tiff, you're doing a great job. The new pic in your ticker is gorgeous and it looks like your beautiful kidlets are thriving.

Great advice Bec!

That is great advice Bec- they don't make it easy do they these nurses.
    I went to MCH centre yesterday, Nixon was weighed again 2940grams total weight gain of 644 since birth!
    I was a bit worried cause when i had my home visit he hadn't put on any weight.
    I know think it was all the stupid woman... First she was trying to tell me the hosp never contacted them, which is bulls#it because they were rung 4 times....as well as me ringing and leaving a msg because no one had rung me and i had been home almost a week!
    anyway you know i said i was annoyed/upset because ir read that Nixon passed his hearing test but she told me he didnt??
    well he did pass! This nurse showed me the form, the same one i read that said he passed, so i showed her the one the hosp stuck in his book the one this dumb nurse told me he did not pass.
    She explained to me that this was just a recommendation that he be re tested at 8-10 months because he is a high risk factor becauase 1. father has hearing loss 2. spent more then 48hrs in NICU 3. had photo therapy 4. Premmie
    so that put my mind at ease! then i fed him there she said we were doing a great job!

So Tiggy one thing that i learnt yesterday and from this whole experience is to ask lots of questions, if you dont undertsand, ask again, if you dont like their answer ask to speak to someone else! And at the end of the day you know your babies, they are giving you advise going off what they think but they dont live with them every day do they. I know they are professionals but sometimes a mother just knows best i think!
    Thtas one thing really pi##ed me off since Nixon being born is you get told so many different things, most of them conflict the other, it certainly does not help you get through the baby blues and early days i can tell you that......

Tiff

to you matey!!

One thing I did learn with the MCHN here is that they go into panic mode with prem babies! They have these stupid books and seem to think that every child should develop at the same rate! If only!!

We turned Hayley's seat around when she was the same weight as Noah, she had fairly good head control, so I spoke to my paed who said it was fine! As for the solids, we started Hayley early too, by a couple of months, but only on rice cereal and stuff, nothing too huge. She loved it and was a lot more settled.

Unfortunately I realised that my MCHN was totally hooked on the corrected age thing...by this time she should be doing this etc, I dont think there is enough info for them in regard to premmie babies and how they are more unique than term babies. My paed was happy to go with what I thought.

Go with your mothers instinct!

Best of Luck

Tiff, I'm definitely with Bec, trust your instincts, if he wants solids then go for it. Alex didn't eat solids until 8 months old, and even then it was a fight, he wasn't ready and didn't want them, however the MCHN kept saying "give it to him". Follow your heart.

Nickers, have you got the clothes yet?

Divvy i was just about to post to you before u posted! the mail man knocked on my door about 10 minutes ago!
    Again thank you so much for the clothes Nixon says thank you too!

Nickers- So glad to hear about the hearing test result! That's great!
    Tiff - Hope things are going ok.

NO worries, Nickers, the girl I got some of them from had a little boy (Rhys) at 23w + 4d. She went and bought some 5 0s for him, but he never got to wear them. So when he was going home from Monash NICU with Alex, they were both in the same plane flying to Shepparton Base Hospital SCN. When we all got there, she brought up Rhys's clothes for Alex, because we didn't have many that fit him. And she asked me to "pass them forward" to someone else when we'd finished with them. And you're next in line!

So I'd love you to "pass them forward" when you've finished with them too. It's just a matter of finding the right person.

Best wishes and great about the hearing test!

Tiff, are you all right? HUGS!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast