Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Premmie Mums #7

tiggy Guest

Default Premmie Mums #7

Hi girls!
    Being a parent can be overwhelming at the best of times & that feeling can be compounded if your baby is premature or has health problems that require a stay in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) or a Special Care Nursery (SCN). This thread is here to help you gain, & provide support to other parents going through similar experiences.

If there is anything you would like to discuss about the thread or have any problems then please contact one of the moderators. All emails/PM's are treated confidentiality.

Astrolady [email protected] ~ Administrator
    kirsty [email protected]
    Ambah [email protected] ~ Senior Moderator
    Sammi-j [email protected]

Woohoo I'm up first..
    Well, Willows 2 top teeth have finally come down, its only taken 2 months. And she is sitting up by herself now, which is really good because we got her an activity center for her birthday and she has to be able to sit up to use it.
    Nic, How is Nixon feeling, Is he any better??
    I hope everyone is well.

Raven

Thanks everyone.
    Nixon is slowly getting better. he stopped vomitting Sunday but still been lots of dirty nappies. he is eating again but become really fussy which he has never been. he will have a few spoon fulls then **** his mouth or spit food out or gag on even non lumpy stuff? i dont know if his appetite is still getting back together or he is now going to be a bugger to eat! he ate about 3 small spoon fulls of dinner last night then refused anything else. even a bisc didnt entice him other then playing with it. so trying to be patient with it. yeah its been 10days since he was first sick, gosh its been a long 10days!

WTG willow for sitting up by yourself clever girl!

Thats good news Nic! I'm sure Nixon's appetite is just getting itself back together, it will come good soon. Has he got a fav food?? Maybe try him on that, then slowly go from there. I'm just glad he is getting better
    Good Luck

Raven

tiggy Guest

Hey Nic,
    Glad to hear that your little man is feeling a bit better. I hate Gastro. It's horrible and hangs on forever. Don't be surprised if he gets a cold now and then another gastro type bug. I know it's awful but that's the way the current bug out there is going.
    With the food... I think that it is just that he has been sick and he is pulling himself up. Ivy and Noah were like that for ages after they had it. Were very reluctant to eat alot. After about a week though their appetite slowly came back.
    Big hugs to you, it's exhausting when the littlies get sick, isn't it?
    Hope that you are doing ok and that you don't get it. Big hugs to Nixon.

Hi Nic, I think what Tiggy said is right on target. IMHO even after the bug is gone, the bowel is still irritated & things take a bit to settle. Poor little guy. I don't know how you'll react to this idea, but what about giving him a bit of flat Sprite? This was suggested by a nurse friend when my first baby had gastro. It gives them extra fluid & energy just to get over a couple of days. The few times I've needed to do this, I've just bought one bottle or can & when it was gone, that was it. Does he like banana? If so that would be perfect too: it's a constipating food, which is what he needs now, and plenty of fruit sugar in it for energy.

I took Gemma to the GP yesterday for her 6 month visit. He said she looks great: weight 6.2 kg. I asked about iron & told him about the hospital records being wrong, not hearing back from the liaison nurse, etc. He rolled his eyes over that. Then he said not to worry, that low haemoglobin problems generally happen with prems when the baby hasn't started cereal by 6 months, for whatever reason. Since she has, we should have no problems. She's not pale, doesn't seem lethargic, or anything like that. Quite the contrary--I wish she would sleep more!! She's very unsettled today after the needles. DS no 3 got one too: meningococcal C, which he missed out on last year. He gave the GP an evil look but didn't cry!

tiggy Guest

Castle,
    Great to hear that your GP thinks everything is good with Gemma. Was hoping that would be the case.
    LOL on DS's withering look, I can imagine!

Thanks for the tips Castle, actually i gave Nixon bananna for dinner and he ate most of it!
    but then come bed time was another story. he fell asleep at 7pm (early then usual) so i put him to bed and then headed to my neighbours. when i returned 30min later he was back up and wide awake. had a play started getting tired so i put him back to bed about 8.30pm. From this time onwards dh and i took turns to go settle him, this is unlike Nixon but he just kept carrying on.
    Eventually we sat in our bedroom on our bed and he was once again happy as larry and wide awake (mind u he'd been awake since 1.30pm) i suggested we give him half a bottle might help get him ready for bed, as dh went to give it to him he vomitted all over our bed. I had a spew cloth there and quickly held it in front of him, he continued to throw up more then i have ever seen. For about 30seconds he just kept bringing it up, projectile. Up came all that banana (which really was the only solid food he had all day)
    2mins later he was back to smiling and giggling.....

so i dont know if this is why he wouldnt settle because he was happy just moments b4 and after.

and i had the runs yesterday too, i seem to be ok so far today though.

Ugh gastro is horrible! I would suggest no solids for him for at least 24 hours.

DS no 3 had lots of feeding issues, BF until 11.5 months (far less than the first 2), and always had to have comp bottle feeds. I was a bit worried about how to stop bottles but he got a bad gastro attack, just like Nixon, a week after his first birthday. He threw up anything with milk in it: formula, cow's milk, goat's milk. I ended up giving him flat Sprite and that electolyte replacement drink you can get at the chemist, for about 3 days. (can't remember the name of it?? but that is what it's meant for. Tiggy should know.)
    And lol, once that was over so were the bottles! I'm not saying this will or should happen to Nixon, just that I know what it's like to wipe up after a big spew! They always seem so cheerful after one too. His poor little tummy must feel so irritated.

I hope you don't get it too! (or dh, I hate it when men are sick).

tiggy Guest

Gastrolyte

yeah actually i got some of them about a week ago in the iceblocks. Nixon didnt like the teste of it but i just put some into hit water bottle.
    he hasnt thrown up today, or even done a poo so hoping the worst is finally over.

Thats great news Nic. Hears hoping it IS finally finished and life starts to get back to normal for you. Theres nothing worse then having gastro in the house because everyone seems to get it.

Raven

tiggy Guest

Happy 1st Birthday. little Willow!!

Hope you had a lovely day.
    Happy birthing day Raven, hope your day was full of happy memories and lovely hugs and kisses.

Oh Happy Birthday Miss Willow!
    I hope you had a very fun day and got lots of pressies!

HollieSummer Guest

Default Hi

Hi

I am new to this forum so I hope you do not mind be jumping in.

I gave birth to my first daughter Hollie Summer on the 1st December 2006 @ 34 weeks. She was 2.3kg and 48cm long. She spent 2 weeks in the SCN which was horrible and now I am having the joys of colic, reflux and crappy weight gains.

She is 3 months and is only 4.8kg. She is on Lovac for her reflux and its making her constipated and not stopping the reflux. I am also giving ger gavascon infant.

Any tips ??

Natalie

Hi Natalie, congratulations on the birth of your daughter Hollie.
    Tell us a bit about what happened, why did she decide to come early?
    I had my son at 33weeks he was almost the same size as Hollie at 2.29kg & 48cm
    we also went through the joys of reflux/colic and slow weight gain in the begining.
    Just looking at Nixon's charts and he was 4.2kg at 3months so Hollie is doing very well, even if she is gaining less then other babies.
    How long has she been on losac for? It can take a few weeks to start working right, Nixon was on Zantac and if they dont take the correct amount for the weight it can have no affect on them.

Other things (and im not sure if ur already doing them or not) are
    1.propping her basinett/cot up onto a 45degree angle
    2.Keeping her upright for 20-30min after feeds
    3.propping the change table up/ or turning her on the side to change rather then lifting her legs up which might squish her tummy
    4.lay on a 45degree angle yourself and put her on your chest, still getting tummy time but not directly on her tummy where it may hurt or be uncomfortable
    5.rolling up a towel or small pillow to put under her if u do put her on the floor for tummy time.
    6. If breastfeeding try feeding her on an angle so she is more upright/ if bottle feeding same deal.

Thats about all i can think of now, many mums in here have dealt with reflux babies too and may have some other tips.
    For Nixon his reflux started getting better when he started sitting up at around 8months of age.

Thanks Ladies,
    We all had a great day, even with the bit of rain we still got to have most of her party outside which I was really happy about.
    I have updated Willow's webpage with the pics of her birthday. She looked like such a little Princess. (Well she has always been a little Princess...lol) But more so today, You'll see what I mean when you see the pics.

Welcome to the group Natalie and congrats on the birth of your little Girl Hollie.

Anyway, How is everyone going?? All well and happy I hope.

Raven

tiggy Guest

Hi Natalie and welcome to the group. Hollie sounds as though she is doing well for a prem bub. Ivy and Noah were born at 30 weeks and weighed in at 1600g and 1700g. They were boofers for 30 weekers! We have also had the joys of colic and terrible, terrible reflux. Nic has made all good suggestions. I haven't got anything better for you. Hope to hear more from you. It'll be nice to get to know you.

Raven so glad that you had a great day! Off to look at your princess now.

We are all good. Both are over their ills and Noah has started standing on his own for short periods!!!! I always thought it would be Ivy first because she was up and cruising weeks before him but he has mastered balance now. Maybe Ivy is struggling because of the middle ear infections, not sure.
    Other than that, we are still going to Prelude (early intervention group) and we are planning on swimming lessons soonish.
    I've not been coping well with night duty and then having to stay awake all the next day with the babies, so I am dropping a shift a week from next month. It comes at a good time because it is William's anniversary and angel day in April.
    So that's us, just plodding along now until the (very belated) hearing test and then our appointment for Ivy with the ENT.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast