Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Premmie Mums #7

Hey ladies, I just found this thread!

My son was born 4 weeks prem on the 21st April of this year. Is this classed as premmie enough to join?

Welcome Ashlee... How is blake doing now?, there are various stages of prem bubs in here... from early 20 weekers upwards...

My DD was born @34+4 weeks & we had 6 1/2 week stay in Nicu.... but she is now 15months old & thriving..

tiggy Guest

Nic!
    I can't believe how fast your ticker is moving! Congrats on another boy.

Ashlee, welcome to our group!

Hi Ashlee - Welcome to the thread, of course you can join!! How is little Blake doing now? Have you had any issues?
    Nickers- Hi there, wow you're half way there already! Kyla seemed okay today, I washed the cut with saline solution and re-bandaided it so hopefully it heals quickly!
    Sez- Hi there! Glad to hear that you and Nicholas are doing well. Things are good here, Kyla is now walking quite a bit which is such a huge milestone for her! Although, her main mode of transport is still her knee walking LOL. I have had the NT scan and tests done, all of which were fine. I don't have my first pre-natal appointment til the 26th June though, which I feel is pretty late!

Hi Carrie, thanks for the welcome Main problems with Blake are that he is very unsettled in between feeds which are still every 3 hours, and he is demanding alot of milk and taking a long time to drink it. He is on HA/AR formula (and is on formula due to b/fing issues), but this isn't seeming to help at this stage. Off to the doctors tomorrow to see if there is anything else I can do. Blake had jaundice and was in SCN for 7 days, and was also put on a feeding tube on day 2 as he wasn't taking to a bottle or the boob. The problem was he wasn't eating enough, now it is that he wants too much. I think there is an underlying problem, I'm just not sure what (definitely not reflux, I suspect colic).

I hear you on the feeding issues! That was one of my DD's primary issues - and she took forever to drink too! (She would then chuck most of it up-reflux).
    For Kyla most of the issues just resolved over time, the reflux and colic started to get better at 3 months corrected (kyla was born at 28.6) and over time her feeding got quicker. I tried everthing for colic and feeding. Unfortunately, for Kyla anyway, we just had to wait, frustrating I know!
    Hope the Dr can help - I know how tiring it is!

Hi Helena, so sorry to hear about your family's hurtful attitude. I know how much those comments make you hurt & angry, especially when you KNOW you are doing the right thing. Just cling to that idea.
    BTW the American Academy of Pediatrics say that for health reasons ALL children should ideally be cared for only with their siblings until age 5!
    I often quote that to people...not that anyone pays attention to it!...and I know that some mums do have to use a day care. Not to be critical of them--just that my children's continued good health is one factor in my caring for them.
    You asked about DD walking....Gemma is not walking yet....she is 10.5 months and loves to kneel, which I think is so funny, and does lots of crawling & pulling up. My bigger boys all crawled at 6-7 months, walked at 11.5-12.5 months, but none were prem. Crawling is so good for brain development that I wouldn't care if she crawled for 6 more months.
    Carrie, during my last 2 pregnancies I asked for earlier and more frequent antenatal visits because I needed the reassurance. Mostly just talking to the midwife and doctor & having a quick listen to the heart. If you think it would help then that might be an option. With Gemma I went fortnightly from 11-12 weeks on.

Hi Ashlee and welcome to the group. Blake looks like such a cutie in your ticker pic.
    hmm yes slow feeding. Nixon was a 33weeker and didnt start bf until he was a few weeks old. For months he would take up to an hour to feed, constantly fall asleep while feeding, forget to suck, and then bring most of it back up. I remember reading your birth announcement but what was the reason Blake came when he did?

mitch & tiggy- I'm so sorry, I didn't see your welcomes, thank you so much!

carrie-I'm glad to hear there is a light at the end of the tunnel as far as the babies settling down goes, it's just getting through this tough bit that is the challenge!

nickers-I was in and out of hospital with premature labour at 29, 33 and 35 weeks. i had steroid injections at 33 weeks to strengthen his lungs just in case he did come (i thank god for that!), and he decided to make his entrance just 2 days after I was discharged the last time. I had GD and was going to be induced around 39 weeks anyway, and after my last hospital visit was told he will be here any day and was a nice size. some walking set labour off for me, and after being in and out of hospital, opted to not stop labour (by the time I got to the hospital i was 5cm anyway so not much hope of stopping him). He weighed 6lb 5oz - probably huge in comparison to all the tiny bubs here!

I just got some tough news - blake has a fever and an ear infection, and ive got conjunctivitis and PND. ive known for a while something isnt right with me, hopefully the low dose of anti depressants helps out.

Ashlee- Oh you poor thing . I'm gald that you are getting some help for the PND, hopefully you start to feel more like yourself soon And poor little Blake, not fun for either of you. Tiff (Tiggy) may be able to give you some useful tips on ear infections (I think she might be the Queen of them with IVY!)
    Castle - Hi there! How cute with Gemma kneeling! Thanks for the advice, my issue is actually that I have not yet had an appointment, and will be 15 weeks for my first appointment (apparently it was the first one they had, although I contacted as soon at my pregnancy was confirmed). It just feel that for someone who had a prem baby last time around, an appointment before 15 weeks pregnant would be nice!! Maybe I should have gone private!

ETA: I have changed Kyla's link to go to our main page where you can click on the text to watch a video of her first steps!
    Last edited by Carrie; June 14th, 2007 at 10:08 PM.

Carrie, I went public but made a big fuss about the sort of care I wanted. The secret, I think, is to make yourself heard Loud & Clear without being aggro.
    Gemma has an ear infection too...she woke up on tuesday with a perforated ear drum, which I felt terrible about. She seemed to be in some pain but I put it down to teething, which was also going on. She never pulled at her ear or did any of the classic things. It is really hard.

New thread time girls

Love

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789