Thread: What to expect from 34 weeker (maybe less)

Default What to expect from 34 weeker (maybe less)

Hi, I am expecting bub to be induced at 34weeks (4 weeks from now, although her levels were worst yet yesterday at my weekly scan, so not sure if she may be earlier yet)as long as all goes well. What can I expect? She/I will have steroids before the induction. I have antibodies so I know she may need a transfusion etc...but apart from that is there much else?
    My last DS was born at 35+4 wks and was under lights in special care for 4 days but came home with me on day 5 (induced for same reasons as this bub will be) He had a nasal tube for top up feeds since it was hard for him to stay awake. He was 6lb 3.5oz and this bub will likely be 5 lb give or take at 34wks
    TIA

Linda
    I had Pat at 35+5 and I wasn't allowed to have him at my local hospital before then.
    Like you I had to be induced because of antibodies with all but 3 of my children and I have 6.
    They will most likely have bub under lights due to jaundice levels, but yeah bub will need a transfusion. Bella had a double volume platelet transfusion at 4 hrs of age and the doctors don't want you around at this time because you can get in the way!She will also be monitored for hypoglycaemia.

Thanks Jes, this is my third antibody baby also
    My first was fine induced at 38wks, then last DS at 35+4 and he was lucky we induced when we did as he didn't need a transfusion.
    This time the MFM has said he wants her induced at 34 weeks all going well as there is nothing eccept weight to be gained after that and she would be better off out of me. Her last scan (yesterday) she was 1.33 X MoM (highest any of mine have been at 30wks). The highest my last baby got to was 1.39 (official result, but highest read was 1.47 same scan day) and that was at 33wks 6 days, at 30 weeks he was still in zone D so was doing great then.
    Am a little worried with this bub being that high already! She was only 1.19 10 days beforehand so am hoping my blood hasn't suddenly 'found' her!
    Hopefully she won't have too many dramas being born at 34 weeks, I have heard of 34 weekers going home with mum, but I know that will all depends on quite a few things!

Thanks for your reply

i wish you all the best, at 34weeks bub may not have its sucking reflex yet and may need a nasal gastric tube for the first few days to a week.
    their sucking reflex usually comes on around the 35week mark so maybe thats why your last you got to take home so soon after?
    sounds like you bake good size bubs too so at 34weeks may be close to 2.5kg!
    my 33weeker was 2.2kg which was big for his gestation

DD was 34 weeks. She was put on a drip to maintain glucose levels, and she was monitored for oxygen saturation & breathing as she had some desaturation episodes, and ended up on caffeine treatment. We were in hospital for 3 weeks (but I think it was longer than need be because the drs took forever coming around and assessing her and then saying we'll check again in a couple of days.. and then maybe you can go home in a couple of days.. dr so & so needs to see her before you can be discharged.. yada yada yada)

Usually at 34 weeks they're not very good suckers so often need to be tube fed. DD actually sucked really well, but she lost weight with the effort, so she was put on alternate suck/tube feeds so she could concentrate on growing

One thing I will say.. they were putting the pressure on for my milk to come through (which only took a couple of days! sheesh!) and kept asking if I would consent to formula (coz of her sugar levels etc).. I said no, can't she just stay on the drip? It's maintaining her levels just fine. So they just kept her on the drip until my milk came in.. no probs. It had various additives in it, so she wasn't starving. So just be fully aware of and ask for alternatives while you get your milk sorted out. Prems can have sensitive tummies as it is, without being fed formula because people think they need all this food so early on.

Oh yeah, and she was under the lights a couple of times, but that was fine.

All the best. Hope you can keep cooking her as long as possible

Oh.. and my 34 weeker was 3.5kg LOL! Just thought I'd throw that in there

Yes well she was 1.5kgs (3lb 5oz) as of Monday which was 29wks6 days and is gaining around 500 grams every 2 weeks so should be 2.5kg at 34 weeks. My OB informed me today that if she requires a transfusion come 32 weeks they will probably just deliver her instead Hoping she is doing better next friday, but if not I may have a 32 weeker

Holy crap Liz, your bub was around the size of my full term babies! Did you have GD or just make big babies

LOL - nope, no GD, and yes, my dates were right. DS was 6lb (2.7kg) at 37wks, so DD was just a whopper! LOL.

Hi,

DD was born 34+5 weeks. It depends on a lot of stuff. DD was very small (1.395kg) with birth, but otherwise healthy. She was in High-care NICU for a day and in NICU for almost a month just to pick up weight. Had a nasal tube for feeding and a montior for breathing, other than that nothing. Just hated when they had to draw blood ... definatly something you have to be prepeard for. And it's a bit daunting to see them so small and helpless in that incubators ... be warned the 4-days-after-birth-hormone-rollercoaster. I cried like a small child that day, just because I felt so helpless.

You will definatly be given some steroid injections to help strengthen bubba's lungs.

The best thing you can do is to ask for the nurses (I assume that you are in hospital??) to take you on a tour of the NICU, just so that it does not seem that overwelming when you visit bubba for the first time. Just incase your bubba has to stay. Ask questions: What are you allowed to bring into the NICU, what are the visiting times for mommies and daddies, Are there special classes (CPR) that you have to attend, When can you start b'fing (if that is your choice) ect. Just anything you can think of.
    Oops did not notice you had a bubba in NICU already *doh*, but you can always brush up on your knowledge

Other than that ... expect the unexpected I learned that with dd ...

All the best and I wish you and your little princess the very best!!