Thread: Advice Needed-Cot Mattress

Default Advice Needed-Cot Mattress

Its nearly time for me to move bub out of his bassinet and into his cot, but before I race out and purchase the first cot mattress that fits, is there anything in particular I should take into consideration when purchasing a cot mattress? Brand recommendations?
    Is a waterproof cover/side important or should I be looking for natural materials?

Thanks for your time!!

Hi there! It really depends on what you prefer - if you want foam or innerspring etc. We got an innerspring one that had the waterproof coating on one side, but we left it in its plastic it came wrapped in for the first 6 years we used it (our first three were close so it was in continuous use from 2001 to the start of 06) and by then the plastic was starting to split so we ditched it and just use it with a matress protector.

As for brands, I don't know if some of the more expensive cots come with a matress (boori etc) and whether for this stage of use if it really matters what type of matress it is? I would look for something that you think will last for the duration of your children (even though some recommend to change it for each child) so you know that you wont be replacing it 12mths later kwim?

I would ask for one with breathe through fibres.

Mine is a childcare brand I think. inner spring no water proof cover and was under $100

it has breathe holes down the side as well as having breathe throuhgh fibres in it

hope that helps

I guess the main thing is making sure you get one that fits the cot exactly - no gaps.
    We have one with a waterproof side, but we use mattress protectors anyway, so I don't know that it was completely necessary for us.

I bought an innerspring mattress (oh, I had so many dramas finding one to fit the cot, and even then, I measured the cot wrong and my Dad had to extend the cot by 10cm as we could not find a mattress short enough!) with a waterproof side and a cloth side. I always use those waterproof mats (you know like they had in hospital that you lay on, white on the top, pink on the bottom, my Mum got them for me, so handy!), and even though I had one on the cot, sometimes bubs moves around or everything just goes bad and I'm thankful the mattress is waterproof on top.
    Apparently the innerspring ones are better than just a foam mattress, but I'm not sure there is a real difference. As long as it is clean, and not really worn, I think most things are okay. I have a really old book on home-making, and it suggests "a firm mattress made of kapok, horsehair or fibre", covered with "a loose chaff shakedown... made of unbleached calico and is one-third filled with fine chaff which has been sterilised previously in a slow oven", and another sheet over that. So, I don't know.... Would that 'cover' your natural mattress? What natural mattresses are there?

Default Organic Cot Mattresses

Hi there,

Thanks for replies. I have done a bit of research online, and in terms of natural matresses, I found one that is filled with organic coconut coir and latex and covered in organic wool and cotton- sounds amazing but it is only available in the UK. Here in Oz I could only find organic cotton mattresses (Innerspring with organic cotton filling and outer) - avail at natureschild.com and naturescradle.com (albeit $399, and out of stock). Not sure if its worth the extra cost for natural materials if I'm just going to put a waterproof cover on top...
    The main concern I read about was the use of flame retardant chemicals in conventional cot mattresses- apparently the chemicals are quite volatile and have been linked to SIDS. Mind you- everything seems to be linked to SIDS these days- vaccines, co-sleeping etc.