Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to a portacot?!

Enchanted Guest

Default Alternative to a portacot?!

I am looking at buying a portacot for my DS. I am wondering though if there is an alternative to a portacot that I have missed?!?

I am just wanting to check out all options!! (That's if I have any more lol)

I don't think there is. Not sure though.. there are plenty of different varieties out there..

can i suggest you buy a portacot with a basinette in there. It basically makes the floor of the cot much higher so you dont need to bend over so far to put the baby in! makes life much easuer for little bubs

yeah those portacots with the built in bassinette look really good. Wish i had bought one!

Enchanted Guest

I will definately be getting one with a bassinette in it.... that is my BIG thing! I was hoping though that I had missed something just because we won't use the portacot all that often but looks like I will have to get one! Does anyone know of any factory outlets in Melbourne?!?

check out the kindacots, they only weigh 3 kg and fold up!!

you can normally get them on sale often enough. I got my 3-in- 1 (cot, basinette and change table) for $120 from baby bunting.

There is an IGC factory outlet near Sunshine if that helps!

caro thats like the kindacot i was refering to, its like a tent

Enchanted Guest

I saw one of those kindacots on Ebay... might have to check them out!

We borrowed a little tent-like bassinette, but I must admit we hardly used it. When she was little little it was suitable, but now that she moves around, its no good - too small.
    I love our port a cot - we use it when we go out and I used it in the early days to sleep her downstairs when the weather was really hot.
    I agree, you can usually find them on sale somewhere for a reasonable price.

Enchanted Guest

Caro... if you google them they are called Kindakots and I have also found another type called The Pop Up Co.. Sleep Easy Travel Cot on Ebay. So maybe have a look at them too!

I love my SteelCraft port-a-cot. We use it daily. It stays up permanently in our living area. It's really handy to put my 16 month old in when I need to go to the bathroom etc. It's just a safe place for him to play for short periods. When I need to cook dinner I drag the port-a-cot closer to the kitchen and it keeps him out from under my feet. He is usually happy to play in there with some toys for up to 15 minutes at a time. Also when friends come over for coffee I pull it closer to the table so that I don't have to keep chasing after him. I use the high chair for these purposes too but the variety is good... he gets less bored if I can move him around from one to the other. I suppose some babies would get sick of being popped in their but I make sure i don't over do it and so far so good.

ETA: oh and of course if we needed it when staying over at friends etc we take it with us... it's not too much of a bothr to fold up.

My boys have never spent much time in the porta cot and I am sure it is due to that reason. I use it when we go to other peoples places but they usually end up sleeping with us or on a folded up blanket on the floor.. you can get foam cut to size for them but that would be annoying for me as it wouldn't fold up with the cot..

I also use mine at the beach when bub was crawling and it was great for camping got them off the ground and I didn't have to chase them that much..

I have a tetra snuggle bed mattress in bubs cot... it's like a little bed with sides on it. Not good for an older child like a potacot would be, but very good when they are little.

mummapearl Guest

There is a brilliant baby hammock that is handmade in NSW - Happy Hangup
    We plan on using ours when travelling attached to the door frame clamp that comes with our Jolly Jumper. They are particularly handy with an unsettled bub too.
    Last edited by Trillian; November 5th, 2007 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Removing link - please read FAQ's

Yep, I've taken mine to my DD's school sports carnival too and I'd take it to the beach now that it's on our last child. We've had it since 1994 and it's still as good as new after a scrub up. It's all mesh and coloured plastic canvas... no fabric.

I love the hammocks, there are a few different sorts out there which are totally portable and easy to use. Just google baby hammocks

Christy - what one do you have?? And does anyone have any idea if there is some way to try one. I don't want to spend a couple of hundred dollars if he doesn't like it and still sleeps with us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast