Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Capsule vs Reversible Car Seats

Default Baby Capsule vs Reversible Car Seats

Hi everyone,

we are up to the stage of organising a car seat. How many people use/d a capsule as opposed to going with the reversible car seat?

We are leaning now to the reversible car seat. I am wanting to stick to a good record brand such as safe n sound.

We would live to know peoples thoughts.

You will most likely find the jury out on this one!

For us, the capsule was the go. My babies have all slept in the car, and for me this was just the much more convenient mode. Then if they are still asleep when you get home, you can just pop them on the dining table asleep in the capsule till they wake up!

We hired a Safe and Sound capsule for each of our babies (for around 6 months it costs about $50)

Then we moved onto the Safe and Sound Maxi Rider, forward facing.

This has worked well for us.

If I had to do it all over again I would hire a capsule. It would be so easy to be able to bring bub in and out without waking her up and also when we out she could go to sleep there and then straight into the car. I would then do to a car seat at about 4-5 mths. But shhhh don't tell Dh because that's what he wanted to do and stubborn me said no :P

We got a SnS reversible (check though that it fits in your car - some of the bigger car seats apparently won't fit in smaller cars - we have an Astra and got the SnS Compaq reversable) but haven't used it yet. It's been fitted though ready to go.

When we had it fitted (the ambulance service fits seats for free up here, as well as hiring out capsules), they said that a lot of people buy reversibles to use from birth, but then end up hiring the capsule, so that they can take bubs in and out of the car without much disruption (esp. when they are asleep).

Apparently quite a few bubs grow out of the capsule long before they are ready to sit upright, which is why the reversables are good if you also decide to hire a capsule. I've heard that there is not much point in actually buying a capsule though because they are often only used for a very short time, that it's better to hire them. It's about $60-80 for six months up here.

Good luck!

Having used a capsule, I would never not have one now! We were lucky enough to be given one by friends, but as Lucy says, you can hire them quite cheaply. My mum hired one for her car for 6 months and it cost $100 all up. I have been told not to turn DS around until 12 kgs or 12 months, apparently that's the latest recommendation. So we've now got him in a reversible car seat.

But I loved the capsule, and was sad when he didn't fit in it anymore. Would definitely recommend having one.

reneem Guest

I bought a reversible car seat for my first and then hired a capsule with my second. I found the capsule really handy e.g if you just need to dash into the post office you don't have to get the pram out, you can just take the capsule and put it on the floor next to you and you still have 2 hands to do what you need to do.
    It really is preference but I'll be definately hiring another capsule with my next bub.
    Hope this helps, good luck.

We used a capsule (borrowed a friends) with our DD. But she was only in it for about 4 months as she just looked so uncomfortable in it by then. I have read that capsules are safer in accidents etc for small babies, but I'm unsure of how true it is? As Lucy said it is handy if bubs sleeps in the car then you don't need to take them out of a rear facing seat (not easy!!). We are now using a safe n sound maxi rider too and it is good, big and dd fits into it nicely and even at 7mths she is still rear facing (also apparently safer in an accident). It will last us until she's about 2 or 3.

If money is an issue, go for a rear facing seat which will convert. But if you can borrow a capsule for a few months then go for a capsule.

Sorry OT, Kellie, I didn't know the Maxi Rider could be used rear facing, that's great! It will last you for ages! We've got the SNS Meridian, but will move on to the Maxi Rider later.

I have also heard that capsules are safer for little babies, but I don't know how true that is.

HI we have a reversible car seat. I think that we personally due to the shape of our car would find it difficult to lift the capsule in and out of the car.

It can be handy to leave bubs in, however capsules are technically not designed for a baby to sleep in and it isn't the best thing for their backs.

Some babies do grow out of capsules too.

It is a cheaper option though rather than buying a car seat that your not happy with later as some seats don't fit very well in the rear facing position, yet fit fine when upright, so depending on your car you may be better to use a capsule. Whatever you do don't buy one hire one from your local council.

The seat we bought is a turn a tot, it is very stable and it turns so you can get bubs out of the car. After using one I have no idea how people manage to lean over into the car and get a baby out, when I just turn mine around and pull him out with out all that awkward bending.

We bought a rear facing capsule with base suitable to 13kg, and will replace it with a forward facing car seat at 13kg (which should hopefully be 12 months or so). We wanted the convienience of a base-loading capsule as we have a two door car and its easier to load a newborn that way, and we wanted a capsule because they are better rated for safety.

HHHMMM, sez, meridian is sounding familiar......I'm probably wrong and we have the meridian. Sorry, I haven't slept well lately

From memory the Britax Safe 'n' Sound Maxi Rider II Arcadia - 6125 is NOT reversible rear to front facing......it is "convertible" in as much as it is designed to see a baby through from 9kg front facing to 18kg toddler with its harness, then all the way to 26kg child with an additional H strap harness.........

If money was no object, here is what I would recommend for safety/age/weight appropriate:

0-6 months Safe & Sound Capsule
    6 months - 12 months ish and at least 9kg Safe & Sound Super Safeguard reversible REAR FACING
    12 months till they grown either too heavy or too tall (26kg) ie about aged 5? Safe 'n' Sound Maxi Rider II

This is what we have done for Lexie.

She is very very small, hence my perhaps over cautious nature with regard to this, but she has only just hit 9kg at 14 months. Her first every forward facing trip was today, LOL!!

There are some people that say that as long as your baby has good head/neck control that it is Ok to put them forward facing. Each to their own, of course, but I don't agree...........I would rather go by the weight recommendations offered by the Red Cross......

We only have a rear facing Safe-n-Sound, but in hindsight I should have got a capsule. I didn't realise you could hire them that cheaply. Although the SnS says its suitable from birth, our DD looked lost in it, and it did seem a bit big for her in the first few weeks (she was 3.18kg at birth, so not too tiny). Lucky we didn't go out much! Now that she is nearly 6kgs I feel much happier, but i hate waking her to get her out of the car.....

We used the Meridian rear facing for Jack, now Tom is in that and Jack is in a maxi rider. We didn't use a capsule at all. I found that if they were asleep, I could transfer them into the sling, or carry them inside without waking them most of the time. If they did wake up, at that age they would go straight back down mostly anyway.

I think with a second child particularly a capsule could be handy but we managed fine without one. And I would still get a rear facing seat as well. The longer they stay rear facing the better - in Aus the seats can safely stay rear facing until 12 kgs. Tom is still rear facing at nearly 14months (about 10kgs) and will be for some time.

We have a capsule and a set of wheels that it can sit in so I can lift him out of the car and click the capsule onto the wheels without waking him. I had to get the wheel frame from NZ - it is a very common system there but for some reason isn't done at all here. I get comments on it every time I go out.

Yeah, Nicholas WAS a tiny baby 5lbs 1oz, and I wouldn't have been happy to put him in the Meridian at that size. He took ages to get bigger too. He stayed in his capsule until about 3 weeks ago. It was so handy for running in and out of shops without waking him, as everyone says. And you can still have two hands free!

I will be doing what Lucy has, although I think he will be in the Meridian for longer than 12 months. I think that's okay, isn't it Lucy? Alot of people use the convertible car seats until 2 or more don't they? Is there a difference in safety between the Meridian and the Maxi Rider after 12 months?

You can't be too cautious with this sort of stuff I say. If he's bored looking backwards, then that's tough!

I think he will be in the Meridian for longer than 12 months

I think, from memory, that 12kg is the "limit" for rear facing.

The Maxi Rider has a really high back and sides, so it is safe for tall kids and older kids......literally up to 26kg.......about 4 or 5?

Olivia is only just 13kg at nearly 4 (titch) so looks like she'll be in her Maxi Rider for another few years, LOL!

If he's bored looking backwards, then that's tough!
    Mummy's singing not entertainment enough?!

LOL Lucy, he's not bored yet, I have a lovely singing voice PMSL! It's just a 'reason' that I often hear for turning bubs around early.

I meant to turn the Meridian around at 12kgs/12 months. IYKWIM? Is that what people do? Or am I better to go straight to a Maxi Rider when I turn him around?

Wow, Olivia is a titch, isn't she? I bet she's a gorgeous, petite little girl!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast