Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby Capsule vs Reversible Car Seats

We hired a capsule for Imran and it just about killed me getting the stupid thing in and out.
    I was so glad to get rid of it and put him into a plain old rear-facing convertible seat.

ETA - Lea posted a you-tube link in the links forum once about rear-facing. AFAIK you should have them rear-facing as long as you can.

Well, we went to buy a reversible seat tonight. We loved the Meridian but it doesnt fit into the car (we have a vectra) We ended up getting the SNS deluxe compact. We were swayed a little bit by our midwife as she said it was bad for the mother carrying the capsule around on such an angle. We will got to the maxi rider once junior is old enough and keep the reversible for and if we are lucky to be blessed with another child.
    It is interesting to see everyones different views though. I was very annoyed we couldnt get the meridian.

Yeah, you can leave them in the Meridian after 12 kgs, they can stay forward facing in it until 18kgs. If you check out the NRMA study done a year or two ago, I think one of the two was slightly safer in that 12 -18 kgs range but I can't remember which one. Both rated very highly though.

The thing with a capsule though, it isn't for the ease of being able to carry them around in it - I rarely took it out the car with my kids, but it is that they are the safest seat for your newborn! Many of my colleagues dr's/nurses/ambos always comment on accidents where the cars are extensively damaged but the capsules have remained unharmed (and babies still asleep in them when they get to them!!)

Bringing our bubba home and especially in the first few weeks was so daunting that we were glad that we had a capsule. They are so tiny! The capsule was also good or when bubba fell asleep in the car and we didn't want to wake him. We changed to our reversible car seat at around 3 months.

Thanks Melanie

We have the latest model safe and Sound baby capsule. The pro's of having a capsule is that if bub falls asleep she can stay asleep, when u want to go to the shops for one or two items there is no need to take bub out of the seat, take the pram out etc for that short period of time..the capsule fits into the new woolies trollies.. it also has a sun shade to cover bubs face (great when they r alseep). The one big Con is that it gets so heavy to carry!! Natalie is still in her capsule (we have been looking at car seats) and the capsule with her in it is about 10 kgs....on one arm!! but..will definetly use if for our next bub

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12