Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best commercial wipes

Default Best commercial wipes

I know I saw a post similar to this recently, but I can't for the life of me find it! So sorry about the repetitiveness of my thread...

I haven't been able to convince DH that clothes wipes are the way to go, so I want to go with the best type of commercial wipes that I can. I know huggies are meant to be pretty harsh, but I remember reading in a post about some that are natural or organic etc... Basically I'm hoping you girls can recommend a brand that is nice and gentle on bubs, but not too harsh on the environment too. I've seen some called ecobaby (or a similar name), which implies it's fairly good for nature, but I wasn't sure how good it is for bubs...

Any recommendations would be great!

Gosh there are so many, Ive used huggies since day one ive never had a problem with them i use the aloe vera ones or u can get coco butter ones.

When DS was very little we used J&J, becuase embossed wipes like huggies irritated his skin. When he got a bit older I found they were fine and switched to them, mainly becuase they were the only ones that would actually come out of the package 1 at a time - some of the cheaper ones I'd only need to use 1 wipe and end up with 5-6, which kind of negates the reduced environmental impact.

I havent used the eco ones, but you can get cotton disposable wipes (Im guessing your partner doesnt like the idea of washing them with the icky stuff still on there?) from places like big W, chemist, dove and those sorts of companies make them, they are normally with the skincare stuff.

We use J&J too, but only the blue packet ones...The pink and white packet ones still seem to irritate DS's bot. Huggies ones we have never found to be moist enough so you are wiping a lot more. I have a girlfriend that swears by ones from Aldi. .....Good Luck though....

SugarDust Guest

we use huggies with Master M and j&j with Master L unless we are out we use huggies then!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

We have used J and J as i was given heaps and huggies and aldi.

I love huggies the best as thick, smell nice especially shea butter and as ray said come out 1 at a time, also plastic tub means they dont dry out.

I agree Feeb the Huggies Shea butter ones smell scrumptious!! LOL.

If you find huggies not working for bottoms keep the wipes anyway for messy hands or faces and then use the hard plastic container for any other brand wipes....IMO Cannot compete with huggies wipes box...just gotta love it!!!

I used j and J for my boys and certainly no problems but have recently been trying to have less checmical around the house and being more environmentally friendlt so i have switched to Nature babycare wipe and nappies - i was dubious at first as to whether they would be as good but they are fab - never had a leak out of the nappies and the wipes are just awsome - they dont feel very wet when you get them out - very deceptive - they get rid of everything - you can get them from Wollies and they are the same price as huggies (nappies) and j&J (wipes)
    hth

Julie x

sorry double post - sorry about the terrible spelling too!

Nature babycare wipes are fantastic, they were stocked at Coles and Safeway but I haven't seen them lately. They were all natural. WotNot wipes around lots too and they are a fantastic natural product made in Aus, I just bought a pack from my local health food shop.

seventh generation are what we use when out and about ( i use cloth at home)... nature baby care are pretty good too.

there are a few non alchohol/natural wipes around these day, I have tried a few others too but cant think of the brands - cos i went back to seventh generation after trying the others

HTH

I think you must mean the Nature BabyCare wipes and I have not had any trouble picking them up at Safeway/Woolies.

Thanks everyone, you are all awesome. It looks like I should definitely invest in a packet of the huggies wipes even if just for the hard container they come in And I definitely like the sound of the nature babycare wipes too.

Hmmm, just had a thought too... I wouldn't be surprised if wipes are something that people might get us for the baby shower. Maybe I should hold off on going buying crazy until after the shower (which is on the 19th of next month). I just get so excited about all this buying. Who would have though anyone could get excited about buying something designed to clean poo!

LOL Krystie. We use mostly cloth, but on the occasion we use sposie wipes we find the Aldi brand (Mamia) best, followed by the Safeway unscented ones. J&J are shocking for DS's bum, and Huggies aren't much better.

Yes, you might get some wipes for your shower, maybe hold off until after then. If you don't get any then you can go crazy buying them!

If you wanted the natural / organic ones (Aromababy have wipes) but it is a small pkt and they are expensive. You can get them at baby bunting

Quote Originally Posted by Janie View Post
    the Aldi brand (Mamia)
    Ohhhh, my mum gave me a pack of that brand and I had no idea where they came from! At least now if those turn out to be our fave's then I know where to get more. Thanks!

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

in the supermarket, the baby wipes are in two camps

The ones that contain Propylene Glycol
    virtually every brand there is, even the ones that say "sensitive", "for newborn skin", "low allergen", "nonperfumed" etc.

The one that doesn't contain Propylene Glycol
    Nature babycare

I used JJ and Amolin Sensitive wipes for first six weeks
    my child had awful nappy rash, i couldn't work out why
    i switched to

• cloth wipes for home
    • Nature babycare for going out

nappy rash disappeared.

i now refuse to buy products with propylene glycol in them (antifreeze anyone?) and my child's skin is much better for it.

Don't get me started on the chemicals that are in sposies!! i think the companies are VERY unethical to sell items meant for babies, using what they use.

and the amount of children's care products e.g shampoo, sunscreen, moisturiser etc that has PARABENS in them, same thing. Parabens cause skin irritations! Why put them in these products? they're a cheap preservative.

before i had my child, i knew nothing of Propylene Glycol and Parabens. Now i feel so protective of my child, i hunt down products FREE of those chemical nasties.

and back to an MCN one, to buy a washing detergent that is free of lots of the nasties, i did a survey in the laundry aisle at woollies, and i only found two brands that met the criteria (ecostore and aware sensitive). there were a few that nearly met all the criteria, bar one thing. What you wash the nappies in is very pertinent. Babies skin is five times thinner than ours, it is more sensitive.

Washing powder buildup in nappies can cause the nappies to become less absorbent.
    Washing powder buildup in nappies can cause irritation in the skin.
    easier to avoid this if you use a gentler detergent, and minimum, only use half the amount that you use to wash clothes. I only used a tablespoon of powder per nappy load.

Even if YOU use cloth wipes and your partner doesn't, you'll still save money and help your baby's skin.

i wouldn't let your dh not using them, put you off. He could use the Nature care babywipes.

also let him know, the facewashers are of a size, to cover your hand, e.g you won't get poo on your hand, cleaning up bubs. BUT it is much more possible to get poo on your hand, when using a baby wipe!

using babywipes, i would need HEAPS of them to clean up a pooey nappy.
    using cloth wipes, i would need ONE, maxiumum TWO wipes to clean up a pooey nappy.

i got my dh to use them, by casually mentioning how it protected my hand from poo. that got him interested.

Gigi, I couldnt agree more!

I only use cloth nappies and home made cloth wipes (plus a few pretty maz ones) and the cloth wipes kick butt over comercial wipes. I just have squares (some odd shapes too) of old towells sewn back to back with a piece of old flannel pjs. One chunky side, one smooth side and I can do ANY poo job with only one wipe. I keep a container of ready to use damp cloths. I put a tiny drop of her bath wash and a tiny drop of moisuriser or massage oil in the water and fill it up with cloths till they are just damp and ready.

Onthe propylene glycol topic: My friend today told me the Curash brand wipes dont contain it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast