Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cot Mattress

Default Cot Mattress

Any thoughts on features for a cot mattress for newborns? I see they have them at Target, plus all the standard baby shops. I think the ones at Target are foam but other shops have some that are plastic backed, inner spring etc - can you tell me from your own experiences what has been good or bad or what is advised?
    I'm happy to go and buy at Target, they're cheaper than other baby shops but need to know if the foam ones are perfectly ok?
    Thanks

Shalou Guest

Hi, we searched high and low for a baby mattress when we were expecting DD a few years ago and went to Toys R Us who recommended their cheapest one as being just as safe, comfortable and easy to use/clean as the ones which were $200+ more. DD has used it now for the past 3 years both in her cot and now on her toddler bed and it's not showing any signs of wear or tear. It's just a basic foam one which we purcashed from Toy's r us for $50 in 05. We are now going to buy the exact same style from Toys r Us again for DS, the only difference we've found since 05 is the price has doubled but then so have all the other mattresses. We're really happy with the foam Toys r Us one, so much so that we're sticking with it for our new bub We use a plastic mattress protecter which you can pick up really cheap.

i too have been thinking the same as you lollybaby. the origional mattress i got for my first child was used for 2years then passed down to my second who has been using it for 3years. its a inner spring with once side material the other plastic. its seen better days(was damaged during a move and the plastic is starting to rip) so we are after another one.

DS has a mattress from IKEA. Its great has different sides for summer and winter (winter side is obviously warmer). I'm pretty sure it was $40/$45. He's been using it for 18 months now and its still in perfect condition. it'll be on the ikea site if you want to check it out.

I had an inner spring one for my girls.
    It didn't fit our new cot properly though, so I had to get another one for DS.

I got a foam one from Kmart for $45. I honestly can't tell the difference.

If you don't mind 2nd hand, have a look in ur local classifieds, or ebay, I picked up a innerspring one with plastic one side (for waterproofing) for $20 out of the local paper. Good thing about 2nd hand baby stuff is caus they grow out of it quick its usually only had a yr or 2 of use. GL

I have heard (from a chiropractor) that innerspring mattresses are meant to be better on a babies spines. I can't remember the reasonings though, but it might be worth talking to an expert.

We went with an innerspring mattress. It was $170 but we bought it for $130 as we purchased all our nursery goods and pram from the same baby shop. I thought that was quite reasonable for a good mattress. Both DH and I have bad backs (are we really that old?!) and we both see a firm, supportive mattresses as pretty important but that's just our opinion.

Kmart had the innerspring ones for $100 when I was in there.

Target do an innerspring one too. Sorry cant remember how much.... but it will be better in the long run as it is more supportive for growing spines as the child weighs more. Especially good if you have a cot that converts to a toddler bed, you will be able to use it for longer with better back care benefits.

we've bought a Heavenly Dreams Air Flow mattress (picked it up direct from them in the city which saved us a lil bit). its innerspring, but it has a removable cover, and the whole thing is washable! still waiting for bubs but think we're gonna be happy with it

We got DD's mattress from Target. Its an inner spring and has the plastic backing. I think from memory we only play just over $70 for it.

I bought DD a innnerspring one from the baby shop for $99 it is material on both sides..

I bought the innerspring one for the toddler bed I have for her to go into.. I had a foam one for my other kids and they were just fine but now I have gone for this one I so much prefer it

We went for innersprung last time and will again this time.
    I have heard they are more supportive for babies backs but also and more important to me is that they breath better than foam.
    Also, long term a innersprung can be resold or passed on easier than foam I think and foam doesnt break down (biodegrade), where as innersprung is made of more materials which will break down eventually.

I just saw in my mail box a mailer for toys R us. They have on sale right now an innersprund mattress for $99 (usually only $120 if you miss the sale). Not sure on quality or comfort but definatly worth checking out at that price

Lolly- Foam mattresses tend to make bubby sweat more (I have had experience with this). My mum brought us the innerspring one for Target when they had their baby sale, and it was only about $70.

We got the innerspring mattress for our cot. We looked into the options and found innerspring better than foam for our needs, as it offers better support, breathes better than foam (ie. not making baby sweat as much in warmer weather) and I myself prefer an innerspring mattress to a foam mattress.

We bought an air-flow breathable mattress from the baby shop. That way if DS was ever face planted in the mattress he could still breathe through it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast