Thread: Fitting a car seat

Default Fitting a car seat

Hi, We have the Safe n Sound Compaq deluxe (mainly because the car is too small for the meridian) We have fitted it but I am a little worried that it has too much movement. Has anyone got any advice on how the seat when it is in recline for newborn mode should be. If we give it a shake should it move at all?
    Any advice would be great.

We had both our seat fitted at a fitting station...but the guy who done it said they should not be able to move at all...and ours sure wont budge!

Keep in mind that the car seat should not touch the back of the passanger/drivers seat too...there needs to be a gap.

We had the exact same seat to begin with , and we had ot fitted at one of those fitting stations. I do not remember there being any movement in it. The guy spent a while making sure it wouldnt budge.

I know that in some states you must have your car seat fitted at a fitting station, don't know about Victoria. Maybe you need to take the car & seat into a fitting station.

We had a capsule and car seat professionally fitted and were told that it is ok to have movement. It really depends on the shape of your car's seat, what its made of etc. We have leather seats that are quite shaped so there's no way the baby seat/capsule is not going to move.

I would definitely get it professionally checked though - it is money very well spent.

I don't mean to hijack but when they say get it fitted at station - what if you need to change it from car to car all the time. Since our accident I have had to move the seat into 4 different cars, I cant go get it fitted every time. Do they just mean the first time so you know how to do it??

HealeyFamily Guest

We have always got our carseats fitted even if we do change cars every 6months its worth the $30bucks for the safety of your child. There has never been movement in the carseat and the guy who fitted it put towels in between just to make sure it didn't move as the carseats have a curve in them. As per previous posts also make sure that there is at least finger width in between front seat and the car seat for safety.

I don't mean change cars every few months - Im talking about changing cars every day. In the space of one week I had to change the seat into 4 different cars.... has anyone else had to do this? That would be $120 plus the fact you have to book it in each time. I know it is my child safety but once you know how to do it - I can't see why you have to have it fitted? Any advice thanks because we still change from a few cars regularly - especially now that I am back at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanstar View Post
    I don't mean change cars every few months - Im talking about changing cars every day. In the space of one week I had to change the seat into 4 different cars.... has anyone else had to do this? That would be $120 plus the fact you have to book it in each time. I know it is my child safety but once you know how to do it - I can't see why you have to have it fitted? Any advice thanks because we still change from a few cars regularly - especially now that I am back at work.

Whilst we only have one car, with the move we have had to remove the car seat many times in order to pack the car for some trips. Also we often remove the seat for the purpose of cleaning the car, it can get pretty flithy under the seat. It would be hard for us to have it professionally fitted each time.