Thread: Night Lights

Default Night Lights

There seem to be so many types of night lights out there but am wondering what should we get? There are green glow type lights and the usual types but also, do you put them in the room or the hallway?

We don't use a nightlight for our bub, but there's a rechargable torch in the hallway that's on the nightlight setting, which I've found handy for getting up in the middle of the night so we don't fall over!

Remember that the womb's a pretty dark place, and you want to teach bub night from day. So I guess nothing too bright, though you'll need some sort of dim light for the night time feeds.

If we end up using a nightlight at all, it will be when bub is a toddler/child if he decides he's not a fan of the dark, but we haven't needed it so far! Riv has a Fisher Price bedside toy that plays tunes/noises and has lights, so perhaps that's been enough for him to look at when settling.
    That's just our experiences though.

So, I would say from my experience, you don't need one, but a dim light in the hallway doesn't go astray! All the best for the rest of your pregnancy and the birth!

We found a pillow that is used for cosleeping that has a nightlight built in. So DD would be in her cot, wake I would go get her, bring her into bed and use the nightlight to feed, I found I didn't need a light to get down the hall.

DS (4 1/2) has a glitter lava lamp which he uses as a night light, makes a beautiful ;pattern around his room

I use fairy lights that are in her room over her curtains that have white balls around them (that sounds weird!) and they give off a nice soft light for changing her nappy, but I find that to feed her I turn on the light in the next room and almost shut the door and thats enough light for her to feed. Its surprising how little light you need.
    A BB friend has Candelas (google candela lights) they are portable and recharge on a base, look great and you can definately use them post baby/nursery! They are expensive but look fantastic!

ETA- I also have one of those sensor lights in the plug in the hallway that comes on at night, great for not falling over with baby in a sleep deprived state in the middle of the night!!

I have one of those plug lights that turn themselves off when the sun comes up or the main lights on, It's just a tiny little bulb with a cover attached to a plug. I've used them for all the kids cause they're very soft but enough light to see what your doing.

When my bubs were waking in the night I had a touch lamp in their room with a pink light globe in it so that it gave of a gentle light and I could adjust the setting depending on whether I was feeding or changing a nappy. The kids are older now and so I just need a sensor LED light that plugs into the hall power point it comes on automatically at night and doesn't draw much power. It gives off enough light for my kids but you could put one in each room if needed.

Thanks for your replies everyone. DH and I will now have a look into what we might need.

Tanstar, the Candela Lights look fabulous and have sent the link to DH to check out. Would be very handy in a blackout as well.

I use fairy lights that are in her room over her curtains that have white balls around them (that sounds weird!) and they give off a nice soft light for changing her nappy
    Tanstar - that sounds soo pretty

We didn't use a night light either with Chloe. At our old house we had a dimmer switch installed in her room as well as a touch lamp with a really low watt bulb in it. That way we could use either one without waking her up. In our new place her touch lamp is on the other side of her room and there is no dimmer, so I turn on the next-door bedroom light and that gives me enough light without waking her up.