Thread: Recline of carseat for newborn

Default Recline of carseat for newborn

We just had our car seat fitted for bubba (rearward facing convertible seat) and it seems so 'upright' to me. I thought little babies were supposed to lie flat (hence full recline prams etc.) but I can't see how the car seat could go any flatter.
    Did anyone else notice this? And know why it's okay?

I have no idea if it's okay but I assume it must be otherwise they wouldn't meet safety standards. I figure it's good to have it on a recline because otherwise they would beon their back all the time so it's one time when they can be a little reclined. Also their heads are supported so they're fine to sit in that position. DD loves her car seat!!!

Even if you got a capsual they would be reclined in that. Hope this helps!

All car seats i have seen all recline.

We had our carseat checked for safety after we fitted it...

However...on the way back home, after hospital, I was sitting in the back seat with DS and I said to DH "this seat seems too upright...DS's head is bobbing everywhere"

It wasn't until we got home that we realised that although they checked the carseat, they didn't pick up that it was NOT reclined.

DH fixed it up with the flick of a lever!

So...maybe just check the instruction book...

It's not meant to be fully reclined though...ie. not flat.

Good luck!

Thanks monnie... we do have on the newborn recline setting and it's sitting flat across the bottom of the seat so I can see it's how it 'should' be so I'll not worry I guess. I'm just surprised really.

Ren I know what you mean, it seems like they need to bre almost flat really but in the seats they are more upright than you expect. Ours is the Safe and Sound Premier and has lots of padding and cushioning around her body and head that is really soft so I never felt like her head was not supported. If yours doesnt have any maybe you could get a head support or something for it??
    Good luck!

Yeah, they all recline a little. I suppose it is good for babies with reflux! It also depends on the incline of your backseat. DH's 4wd backseat makes our rearward car seat almost upright lol! I had to stop using our Baby Love capsule in it because DS's head would hang forward, so annoying!

Ours seemed really upright as well. I think it was a combination of the seat itself, and the shape of our back seat of our car. It isnt meant to be flat, but should be reclined.

We got it fitted at the fitting station and took it back to get the to check it, and also asked the ECHN. They both said it was ok.

I think you can adjust (recline) the seat more by wedging towels/something firm (my DH wants to get high density foam) under it. We were having a play with ours and I think that is what they suggested in the book? That reclines it more, but it still sits flat. We will have another look and just see how it goes. I haven't read it myself so not certain.

I think how high it sits depends on the amount of incline on the seat itself too.

Yeah- our seats have dips in them so we have towels under it so the base is flat. I think it would be super inclined and not stable without the towels.