Thread: Recommendation on baby carrier/sling

Default Recommendation on baby carrier/sling

Hi all,
    Dh and i are planning a family holiday after bubs is born. We are taking the kids to a cottage in the Otway rainforest , we have been here before and it is a fave with the kids. We thought it would give us precious time after bubs is born for the kids to get to know their new brother without interference.
    At the moment bub will be about 12 weeks old when we plan to go, we love taking the kids on the rainforest and waterfall walks and we know some of these arent suitable for a pram, so I am asking for suggestions on a good carrier for bub, something we can use at home as well as away.

A lot of ppl swear by their Hug A bubs, but I found it too difficult to maneouver around the wrapping. We had a Baby Bjorn which was great when DD was little, but now that she is bigger we have bought an Ergo which is fantastic! I wouldn't have used it when she was littler though as it has this weird tuck-in infant insert which IMO is just too much fluffing around. So I would say the Baby Bjorn for the 12 week old but think about getting an Ergo later on as well.

We have a hug-a-bub and it's lovely and snug. I find it a bit time consuming to put on and off for feeding though. If you think a clip on would suit you then I'd look into a pikolo... they don't leave baby's legs hanging like a baby bjorn does.

I highly recommend an Ergo! You don't need the infant insert when they are 12 weeks old. I bought one because our Baby Bjorn was killing my shoulders (my bub is big). The Ergo puts the bulk of your babies weight on your hips like a hiking backpack does so you can wear it comfortably for long periods.

I've just had my Ergo carrier delivered! I got it through a company online called Babes in Arms, based in Oz. They had a discount on them until the end of May I think and postage and GST was included. They were the best price I found after trawling for ideas on the web! Speedy, efficient service too.
    Give them a try!

I would recommend the baby bjorn.I still use mine everyday though in saying that, my bub is small. He loves it too as he can either face me or be a sticky beak and see where he's going lol

I have an Ergo as well with the infant insert...haven't used it yet of course but have heard rave reviews about it especially that it is ergonomically better for bubs hips and spine as well as better for your own back. I can't wait to try mine out, have been wearing it around the house but it's just not the same without the real baby LOL

Ergos are excellent for out and abouting as they have a good sized pocket, a sleeping hood, and are quick and easy to get on and off and to adjust. They are best for back carries though (from six months), but are still very comfy for a front carry. Ergo recommend that the insert be used until four months. I started using it without the insert from three months - my bub is tall with long legs. They have quite a wide base and bubs needs to be able to straddle your waist with their legs before they can sit in a front carry comfortably. So a smaller baby might have a little more difficulty. You can't do a froggy carry in an Ergo (legs tucked in).

The Ergo sits on the hips, so quite low compared to a traditional mei tai which sits on the waist, and the baby does not sit quite as snugly as with a mei tai. They still distribute the weight quite well though. The shoulder straps are quite heavily padded - I find them quite comfortable but they are a bit awkward if you want to carry a bag or backpack as well. They are very comfortable for long carries and are rated to up to 20kg so a much longer lifespan than a bjorn. You can also breastfeed in them, although I've not had any success doing this as I have small boobs and a long baby, so cannot drop him low enough or lift the boob high enough for him to feed comfortably in the carrier.

I would not personally recommend a bjorn (I started off with one and sold it after about six weeks of use). They are only rated to 10kg but most people find that they are uncomfortable at a much lower weight. Euan was 4.2kg at birth and I found that I would get extremely sore shoulders within about 20 minutes. Also, the way a bjorn works is like a parachute harness - all of the baby's weight is supported by the crotch. There is some evidence that this can can cause compression of the spine, especially with extended use. Soft structured carriers that are based on a mei tai, like a pikkolo, patapum or beco for example, supports the baby in a sitting position, so their spine is not compressed. Ergos are also based on the same structure, but are different in that they sit on the hips, not the waist.

If you want a soft structured carrier (ie: with buckles) that you can position the baby facing out, a Pikkolo (made by CatBirdBaby) is a better option than a bjorn. It has a sleeping hood, and a cinch mechanism that allows you to have baby facing out, or facing in with legs out from newborn. And it can carry up to 20kg (like an ergo).

You could also consider a ring-sling (good for newborn cradle carries, feeding and quick on and off carries), but many people find that two shouldered carriers are more comfortable for long walks.

Thanks for the details on the Ergo Suse, sounds like a good one.

Has anyone ever used a "Tomy Safari" baby carrier? A friend has lent me one so it hasn't cost anything - but how is it for comfort / function? I have a few back issues so would want something that is very support for me and for bub.