Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Bags

Default Sleeping Bags

Hi I've been looking at buying DS a sleeping bag as he has now figured out how to unwrap himself during the night and he wakes up very cold. I was looking at the Grobags but am unsure what the Tog thing means. I've only been able to find these at David Jones.
    What sleeping bags do you use and where did you buy them from?

TIA

Charlie was a winter baby and I managed to keep him in the hammock and wrapped for ages, but by the time he hit 10 months he was transitioned into a cot and needed the "security" of a grobag/sleeping bag.

I too got totally confused at the tog thing, and I ended up getting some BONDS sleeping bags made from polar fleece, which worked perfectly.

I bought my grobags from a website, can PM you the link if you wish. It has all the details on their in regards to the different togs. We live in one of the hottest places in Aust & because of this have the aircond on flat out 24/7, so Charlie is in a 1.0tog still with longsleeve suit underneath to keep his arms warm...no blankets needed & I love it. In winter I'll put him in long pj's, singlet & a 2.5 tog...that way I know he's toasty warm without the need of extra blankets (oh & a bar heater for the 3am chill).

We bought a Grobag for Claire when she was about 2 or 3 months old. As it was heading into winter we got the 2.5tog Grobag, which is the warmest. 0.5 is the thinnest and suitable for the wrmer weather.

We bought it over the internet after I had gone to have a look at them in Babies Galore. I didnt end up getting it at Babies Galore as they were cheaper to get over the net, but I wanted to see/touch before I bought it. It has been excellent. She wasnt keen on being wrapped at night from pretty early on and she would always kick the wrap off and then wake up upset because she was cold. She ws nice and warm and snuggly in the grobag.

We also got another bag, from Target. It was also nice. Not the grobag brand but probably about as thick as the grobag we also had. The target one seemed more sturdy. The Grobag zipper aactually broke off after only about 5 weeks!

Hi Mako,
    Here is some info from grobag website
    2.5tog: 16-20degrees
    1.0tog: 20-24degrees
    0.5tog: 24-27degrees
    You might want to check it out, there is also info on the stockists but we can also buy online.
    HTH

Sorry to hijack Mako but we're looking at getting one in the next few months too (going to wait till it cools off) and just wanted to ask...

What tog do most people in Sydney use? We're in western Sydney so gets a bit hotter here than most areas in summer.

Is there a tog that's kinda good for all year round? Or do you need one for summer, one for winter?

Hi Willow, couldn't be any hotter than where I am LOL. I use a 1.0 tog, as we have our aircond on to about 20 & I still sleep with covers on, so I figure Charlie wants some. will get 2.5 tog for winter as he doesn't have any other blankets & it gets very, very cold over night in the winter months here.

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll have a look on the net and see what we can find.

Willow Please don't feel like you are hijacking hun. I'm pleased that you might be able to get some info too

Willow, I'm in Sydney (Ryde area) and we have a 2.5tog. Claire used it all throuhg winter and she was nice and warm in it. We're not using a sleeping bag at all at the moment as its too warm at night. I am looking at getting possibly a 1.0 tog to use all year round though.

OK, thanks Karina! I'd rather have one for all year round I think, you can always add layers underneath for extra warmth right?

I actually have one but it's a dream pod, not a gro bag, it was a gift for DS when he was born. Just had a look at it and I think it's 1.0tog. Wonder if it will be OK for winter? I'd probably put long sleeved pjs underneath.

Yeah, just put a long suit on him or long pants/long sleeves if its quite cold and he should be right.
    We have a 2.5 tog for Claire and she used it through winter. We just dressed her in less if it was a warmer night. We would usually just put her in it with just a long sleeved top and no pants on because she would get quite warm and a bit sweaty sometimes. Our house is always quite warm though. But if it was really cold, she'd wear a long suit thing.

Theres actually a guide on their website as to what bub should wear depending on the TOG and the room temperature. I never really followed it though because I thought she'd be too cold in what they suggested, but its there anyway if you're interested.

I used a 2.5 tog on DD through a Perth winter. She had a bonds grosuit underneath as well as either a shortsleeved bodysuit or singlet, depending on how cold it was. Before she became a little mobile monster I also had a light cellular blanket and sheet over her - as much as anything to keep her feeling secure. At the moment she's in either a 0.5 or a 1 tog, depending on whether we have the aircon on. Like Erin said, if the aircon is on overnight (can't remember when we last had it off, damn summer heat!) then she's in a long sleeved bodysuit and the 1 tog.

I don't think you could get through all year round with just one - a 2.5 would be way too hot through summer, but a 1 tog wouldn't be enough through winter, unless its for a non-mobile/rolling bubby so you could add blankets too.

ETA - sorry Mako. I got mine from all over - DJs on sale (I bought her next size up 2.5 tog in early summer so it was a great bargain), as well as a couple of different baby shops. They are pricey but they are just soooooo good though - great to know your little one is going to stay covered and warm.

Hmmm, might have to get him a different one for winter (and maybe a bit smaller, the one we have is for 6-18 months but he is a big boy...) and save the 1.0 tog for next summer.

Hey girls. Seems like you have all sorted yourselves out, but just wanted to add that so far we have a 0.5 tog grobag and a 1.0 grobag. We got the 0.5 tog bag in a much bigger size (18 - 36 months I think) so that it lasts much longer, and will probably do the same thing with a 2.5tog for winter because it gets pretty darn cold here in Winter, and hot in summer, so the 1.0 won't cut the mustard for the extremes, but will be used pretty much all year round often enough to warrant having one of them as well.

Probably seems a bit extreme to some, but we have just found them so good that we don't really care. He has slept so well since going in to grobags, and with the weather we have here, we can't really get by with one.

Thanks SL, looks like I might have to invest in a 2.5 for winter, can get pretty cold at night here too.

Might start looking on line...

Just letting you all know that I'm in Melbourne, and over winter I used a s/s jumpsuit, a l/s jumpsuit, a 2.5 TOG, plus 1-2 blankets over her in the middle of winter! SHe was a new fresh baby though and now won't keep most covers on so we will be rugging her up underneath even more than last winter. Over summer we have used a .5 Snugtime one which is good although it has a travel hole and her feet sometimes get caught in it.
    I will definately be getting 2 2.5's for winter, as just having one .5 over summer wasn't really enough. The last few nights have been pretty cold here too so she has been back in her newborn 2.5! Just fits. We also got ours our DJ's, Myer have them too and Baby Bunting. HtH!

Great thread mako

We used bags from Target or Big W. Polar fleece ones for winter and thinner cotton ones for summer. Usually she'd have a wondersuit or something on as pyjamas and the sleeping bag as the blanket alternative. I tend to sleep quite warm and I think she takes after me.
    I was a little paranoid about overheating, isn't that one of the risk factors in SIDS?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast