Thread: Warning for Angelcare Monitor Users

Exclamation Warning for Angelcare Monitor Users

We've been using an Angelcare monitor from day 1 with Caeleb and have slept well every night, knowing that if he stopped breathing, we'd be alerted by the alarm.

Well... not so true!!!

DH took Caeleb out of his cot last night and forgot to turn off the monitor. Some hours later, he looked up and noticed that it was still on. The alarm had not gone off.

We realied that the pedestal fan we had blowing gently in the room was enough to "trick" the monitor. I've looked on the website and it does mention removing fans, but had we not accidentally stumbled on this we would have gone on, thinking that we were safe. Caeleb could stop breathing and we'd never know.

So, I'm posting to make anyone else who owns one of these units aware of using fans in the summer heat.

Celsie. xoxox

Hi Celsie. We have a breathing alarm - not an angelcare one though, we got it through the SIDS foundation. We always check to see that the alarm is working - probably a bit too much!!! - and ceiling fans do the same thing. We can't have it on 3 in aricyns room without it affecting the alarm, so that could be something for people to be mindful of as well.
    Cheers
    Mel

Ours had it on the instructions that any movements like fans for eg will interfere with the monitor. Our monitor will work if the fan is on low though.

Oh yes the same thing happened to us with a fan, and we made sure we didn't use a fan when we had the monitor on. I think they should warn about it in the manual.

Our fan doesn't impact, but the puter does. We got a really thick neoprene mouse pad and cut it up, put the cot legs on it. Now no problems.

Also we have wooden floors so the dog panting was enough movement - not any more.
    We found the fan wasn't the problem as such, it was the mobile getting moved by the breeze (even from open windows).

Yeah, we had the same thing with the fan or open window blowing the mobile on the cot. Once we took the mobile down it was ok.

I think there was a warning in our manual about it.

Wow Celsie!
    i wouldnt have even thought about a fan!

It is scary though to think isnt it.
    How are you feeling today?

Great idea Kazbah. We accidentally discovered too that when our ceiling fan was on 1 or 2 & we forgot to turn our monitor off, it tricked the alarm, but if put fan on 1 it seemed ok.

I wish I found this thread at 10.30pm the other night when I was trying to figure out why the alarm was not working!!
    However did work out that it was the fan and have since turned it off while bubs is in his cot.
    But what doyou do when the weather is hot and bubs room reaches 27?!?!?!?

Anyway will take of his mobile and turn the fan on and see if that works.

I was thinking about this also this morning...when I woke up to her at 2:30 she was right up the other end of the cot (off the pad) and the alarm hadn't gone off
    We had our ceiling fan on 2 and we don't have any mobiles on the cot. When it's really hot here we really do need it on 2 or 3, otherwise we can't sleep...
    and I'm relying on it atm as she has decided she wants to sleep on her tummy (as in, I put her on her back & she rolls onto her tummy )

We can't have one here as we live on a busy road and apparently that can affect the way it works