Thread: +ve OPK at CD33 - too late for conception??

Lizzie33 Guest

Default +ve OPK at CD33 - too late for conception??

Hi Girls - have finally got a +ve OPK today, at CD33. I am wondering if there is any chance of conception if we BD tonight? I have heard that ovulating this late means there is no chance of conception occuring, but was hoping somebody out there had any thoughts? I have an appt with a GP next week to try to work out why I am ovulating so late - the 2 cycles before this I got +OPK's on days 18 and 19. I would be so grateful if anyone has knowledge on this. xx

Hi Lizzie33
    How long are your cycles normally? I am confused why you think it is too late to conceive. Sorry I am probably not much help. I will have a look on the web for you and let you know if I find anything.

Why not BD anyway - you never know O .

Hi Mindy,
    I think it's possible to conceive with late O but not probable. It has something to do with the quality of the egg when released so late. I have read/been told that cycles longer than 35 days greatly reduce your chances of conception BUT I'm sure some people have still been successful so BD anyway.
    My OBGYN was not happy with my cycles being around 38 days (and now even longer) so will have to start medication to induce period, then start clomid.
    Good luck!

Lizzie33 Guest

Thanks Tess & Bethany, since coming off the pill my cycles have been 32, 28, 30 days, but this cycle looks like it is going to be at least 45 - who knows why - I thought things were settling down after the pill. I just don't understand why it took until CD33 to get a +ve OPK. Does this mean I will have to try Clomid? Am getting anxious because I am 33 and beginning to worry O have left it all too late.

Lizzie ,

Dont give up hope yet- one of my best freinds O'ed really late ans has a 9 month old boy now!!

I too have long cycles. I've been told that our periods can get long for a while after coming off the pill wile our bodies adjust to doing it itself again.

I've been of te pill for over 6 months and my periods range from 30 to 47 days. I'm on day 40 today with no signs of anything.

How long have you been off the pill?

Mindy,
    Thought you'd be interested to know that a girl from TTC-Buddies has just fallen pregnant and didn't O until CD28. So you're not out of the race yet!!
    Good luck and let us know how it goes!

BTW - you might like to get a progesterone blood test next cycle as this tell you if you have ovulated. Can get this through your GP and is usually done on CD21 and CD28 if you ovulate late. This info. would be helpful if you are thinking about clomid.

Lizzie33 Guest

Hi Nurse Dan, Have been off the pill since November last year, and have had 3 'normal' cycles lasting 28-32 days ( although I had a first cycle of about 50 days to start with), and now this. Just thought it would have settled by now, especially since I had those 3 relatively normal cycles in between...I guess you just never know. How long have you been off the pill? Have you gotten medical advice on what to do next??

Lizzie33 Guest

Thanks Bethany, I will mention this blood test to my GP on Tuesday. I had assumed I was ovulating because of the + OPK's, but is this not necesarily the case? God, surely it wouldn't be +ve unless there was an LH surge? This is doing my head in...

Hi Lizzie,
    When AF arrives I am going to go off to GP with my DH. Hopefully with my charting she will look into things for me without it being the full 12 months. If she doesn't I've got the name of a good gyno that I'm going to get her to refer me to.
    I want to start looking into tis because we want two kids and I don't want to leave it too late if we are going to need some help.
    I noticed that you are over 30 and GP's will look into it after 6 months. Are you going to go to the GP.
    Hi girls. How are we all going? Baby dust and goodluck to everyone who is testing.

Have to run off to work.

Dan

Mindy,
    You may or may not be ovulating. You can get a surge but not end up actually ovulating (although rare I believe). The progesterone test would comfirm if you have ovulated somewhere between days 14-21 in your cycle. If not, then clomid may be useful to help you ovulate a bit earlier which might increase your chances of conception. It is also possible that you may ovualte on some cycles but not on others. It all depends on how long you are prepared to TTC for without intervention I guess. It's good to know though, that some people are ovulating late like you and still falling pregnant.