Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This gig is getting harder - venting and interested in your experience with 3 or more

Default This gig is getting harder - venting and interested in your experience with 3 or more

Bella, my gorgeous mother-to-three friend... read no further.

This 3-kid gig appears to be getting harder, not easier, as my youngest (now 11m) gets more independent. Quite the opposite of my experience going from 1-2 where it was chaos, but settled by the time #2 was 12 months.
    It's all mental, all the time. I can't get on top of any of the domestics and they're all creating insane ammounts of mess and have different needs. Bubba is clingy one minute and a independent, head-injury-prone daredevil the next and the older ones are utterly loving and devoted but create more danger by bringing chokeables and climbing challenges into his play space.

I'm not getting any more sleep than I did in the early days and right now the physical and emotional demands are just maxing me out by 8am.

I have yelled at them pretty much every day this week and constantly feel tense and snappy and pulled in all directions when I am so desperately aspiring to be calm, present and available.

... Just a vent really. I am so tired and discouraged as I assumed that I would feel things settling now, as I did with the last baby. But it's madness. And I think madness may be here to stay.

Default Re: This gig is getting harder - venting and interested in your experience with 3 or more

Huge hugs. I only have two, but I feel this way already, which is why I know I cannot have another until both are in school. No advice, but you're not alone in feeling completely swamped and overwhelmed

Default Re: This gig is getting harder - venting and interested in your experience with 3 or more

Feeling your pain hun xxx

I am a mummy to 3 as well and I completely understand how overwhelming and exhausting it is. My youngest is now 2 1/2 and I am only just starting to feel like I might be getting on top of things now. I am still tired but I am actually starting to have a few minutes to myself where I can have a hot cup of tea in peace.

It is really hard going but hang in there it does ease up a little bit hun *hugs*

PZ, I have one in school out of my three and tbh that does not make it easier. The schedule, pick ups, drop offs, extra curricular activities (all of which conflict with nap times), play dates, etc, it is just crazy all the time. No way would I talk anyone out of a third I love the chaos! But it does feel never-ending. I do dream of a time when I will have time to myself and heaven forbid - take a holiday without kids!

Hugs, Santosha. Hope the venting helps! I have no clue if it gets easier, but they'll all leave home eventually. Until then, just imagine how little washing you'll have when that day comes.

My MIL is taking our 3 kids for 2 nights over the school holidays - at the moment that is the only thing that is getting me through.

3 is hard. Especially when they're all at very different stages. With my first two, because they were only 15 months apart, it is almost like having twins. Once they were 2 and 3 years old, I could pretty much do the same things with both of them, and they were both happy. I had #3 when the first two were 3 and 4. And because they were at such different stages, it made everything that much more difficult. Even now, it is hard because #1 is 7, #2 is 6 and #3 is 3. The bigger two are at school and #3 is still home and really is the baby. He is taking so much longer to grow up than the first two!! Which part of me loves because he's my baby and it's going fairly slowly compared to my first two, who's babyhoods were such a blur. But it's also frustrating when I have to do stuff for the bigger two and he just whinges and complains.

As they grow, it does get easier in some ways (you get more sleep, they can entertain themselves more, do more stuff independently) but it also gets more crazy with school and organised activities, and if you're not working already, going back to work adds a whole new level of crazy. But as my kids have gotten bigger, I have regained my sanity. My house is cleaner (sometimes), I can cook meals, and the kids either actually do help me, or they can entertain themselves for 30mins without interrupting me 10000000 times.

Hugs. Organising kids and family is tough work.

I am in exactly the same space Santosha. Exactly! Just had a major crying wingey yell at DH about how I can't cope with the chaos and I need time out! I wish my 3 year old would sleep as well as my 11 month old. Life just feels chaotic and I feel like I want to start the day in a good mood but after yelling about a million times just to get everyone to get dressed and eat breakfast the day is off to a crappy start!

Big and know that you are not in this alone, I'm over here drowning in my see of 3 child chaos as well :wave:

I am comatose with tired. Will try to reply properly tomorrow. But in the mean time, thanks so much ladies. The validation really, really helps. Of course, I don't want anyone else to struggle like this. But it makes me feel like less of a failure that others find it so tough too.

No advice. I can't imagine. Just hugs from me xox

Yup its a struggle, and people judge me for yelling at mine - I have 5 and the noise is incredible -most times I yell so they can hear me over their own screaming.

We went out yesterday - no joke it took an hour to get out of the house and most of us were ready to go in the first place. I live in crazy town.

It gets easier in some regards and more difficult in others - currently we are struggling with trying to juggle sports/afterschool activities and keeping everyone happy lol.

You sound so tired. Everything is hard when you're tired!
    When I have days where I feel I'm stuck in a bad mood I usually try to do something really different to change up the mood and start again.
    You're a great Mum, and this is just a bump in the road xx

Those with older kids I heard the other day about a family with 3 older kids and everyone had things on and the family was tied up nearly every afternoon and weekend so the parents decided the family would take a one year sabbatical. So the kids took part in activities through school but all after school and weekend activities were stopped for the year. The parents also took the year of from all extra commitments. Interesting idea.

What do you all think?

Another tired battle weary mumma here! I hardly ever stop we have appointments, play dates, dancing or homework to do. Would love yo put everything but school on hold for a year! Two of mine are needing lots of extra dr's or health related appointments right now, have 4 appointments just this week. We are eating more takeaway than I would like and my drier is getting a work out as I am never home to hang it out, just getting socks and undies is hard right now. I have two in school and now understand why mums say it isn't any easier, hoping when all three are there it might get easier.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsFabuloso View Post
    3 is hard. Especially when they're all at very different stages. With my first two, because they were only 15 months apart, it is almost like having twins. Once they were 2 and 3 years old, I could pretty much do the same things with both of them, and they were both happy. I had #3 when the first two were 3 and 4. And because they were at such different stages, it made everything that much more difficult. Even now, it is hard because #1 is 7, #2 is 6 and #3 is 3. The bigger two are at school and #3 is still home and really is the baby. He is taking so much longer to grow up than the first two!! Which part of me loves because he's my baby and it's going fairly slowly compared to my first two, who's babyhoods were such a blur. But it's also frustrating when I have to do stuff for the bigger two and he just whinges and complains...
    Yes, this! I'm exactly the same except mine are a bit littler, 5.5, 4 and almost 2. The big two are mostly beautiful and can happily play but we still have to follow around Mr not quite 2 and keep him out of trouble.

As for chaos, well we I've in chaos. Chaos is our friend

Have you seen my un domestic goddess thread???? I just can't keep on top of things.

I've asked for a robot vacuum for Christmas, in the desperate hope that my floors may retain some resemblance of clean. Every meal food is splattered all over the floor, I vacuum and cry half an hour later when it is covered in crumbs, again!!!!!

Hang in there hun. Hang in there.

Wow. You're all as flat out as I am, at least. Big hugs and solidarity, frazzled Mummys.
    I am under no illusions that school will make things easier. 4 drop offs and 4 pick ups a weeks is currently hard enough. Add another round of kinder plus prep next year and we'll have 7 drop offs and 7 pick ups. Poor little baby boy... might just move his bed and high chair into the car and save him relocating every 10 minutes

Fortunately the primary school we're going to has no homework. But lots of extra curricular things and I'm going to have to find a way to limit that I think so we don't spend our lives tooing and froing.

You know what I wish? I wish my sister... the one with kids that I don't actually have... or my fictional, SAHM with preschoolers bestie, lived next door. We could kid-swap and drive and mind and support eachother so little ones didn't have to be dragged from their beds and there was company and coffee-making, even if it was in PJs and squalor. I need a village to do this job. And I am not entirely unsupported, but geez it'd be great to have that kind of readily available back up.

For starters to all of you. I actually started to reply when you had no replies Santosha and obviously got sidetracked lol.

My youngest is now 2.5, and tbh I feel exactly like you wrote some days. It used to be every day. My DH works away permanently so it's just me against the world. Those days however are getting fewer. I am able to find more peace more often. I wouldn't say I even get more sleep, but after 8.5 years my DNA has adapted lol. My youngest is my most adventurous and confident which is scary, but she is also the most exposed child I have. All those little bits have been around forever to her and the novelties wore off quickly. I feel more confident (either that or I'm better at faking it lol).
    I'm getting more independence as they do. 12 months ago I felt like that independence was never ever going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournemumma View Post
    Those with older kids I heard the other day about a family with 3 older kids and everyone had things on and the family was tied up nearly every afternoon and weekend so the parents decided the family would take a one year sabbatical. So the kids took part in activities through school but all after school and weekend activities were stopped for the year. The parents also took the year of from all extra commitments. Interesting idea.

What do you all think?
    I did that for about the last year. When dd1 was little I felt like we needed to try 'all the things', when really, if they don't love something, is there really a point to continue? I have very much limited. We only go out one arvo. I limit it to 1 play date. They do weekend stuff. Everyone gets downtime. Much better. And I only have small town travel. I can't imagine how bad it is in a big city....

I only have 2 as you know, but wanted to offer hugs and love. I find it hard to keep on top of 2 - and juggle work, school drop offs, child care drop offs, playtime, quality time, home duties, maintain friendships and pretend I have some form of social life LOL ........ so my point is this....... You are amazing! You are a chaotic, busy, sleep deprived zombie who despite your own harsh judgement, is in fact spectacularly fabulous

PS. I suspect only winning the lottery and buying all the adjoining properties and moving your friends in will create the village. Or using the money to hire a village........ I need a village too. We should so start that Belly Belly commune that often gets spoken of wistfully............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast