Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How We Teach Children Their Gender Roles: An interesting story (long)

Well, I suppose I am teaching DS to be a gentleman, so there are some gender differences. But him being able to cook isn't something he should be denied because or a Y chromosome or a penis. So long as he doesn't use that to mix the cakes up with. He likes to pick flowers and give them to girls - boys usually get sticks or fir cones. I have never told him that, he just does it. Maybe because I thank him for flowers and DH doesn't? DS sees dad doing the gardening, but grandma doing it at her house. He sees me cooking, but he helps me. (Got to get DH cooking more!) His current favourite job is doing the laundry which has always been my domain. There's nothing wrong with him being a boy, only denying him having good fun because of it. Stopping him hurting people is fine even if he finds it fun, but stopping him playing with my Barbies isn't.

Bath - lego and duplo are VERY gender-based now. DS has a duplo car with wheels to screw on, an engine that comes out... girls we know have duplo prams and babies and whatnot. I tend to get the lego for DS that I want to play with, so most of it is pretty "male" as I like building.

While I agree with not stereotyping in limiting children based on gender - ie you can't do that you're a girl, etc, etc, I really do not see an issue with dressing girls in feminine clothes and boys in masculine clothes, they are girls and boys, they are different, that is how we are made. Children should have a choice once they are old enough with in limits, they can choose their own style.
    Why can't we embrace that we are different?

My only issue is when embracing our sex differences mean clinging to those gender stereotypes?

ETA: There's a difference between embracing and rejoicing in he fact that we are females, woman, and being defined by 'womanly, female' roles. Being boxed in to stereotypical clothes, colours, games, toys, roles, manners. Just because we are embracing our bodies as physically female, or men who are embracing their physically male bodies, doesn't mean that we should be embracing societies idea of when that means when it comes to roles, mannerisms, props etc.
    And of course, our bodies are different and we need different cuts of clothing. But I would often prefer the colour combinations offered in the mens section often! Give me a bold print anyday, over these block prints or soft, swishy features on the womans clothing! But I love my body, and love the womans cut. BAH! Very annoying! Wish I could sew well enough to transform mens printed tee's into a top that complimented my womanly shape!

(oh... can anyone tell this is another topic close to my heart hehe)
    Last edited by Indadhanu; August 13th, 2010 at 08:07 PM.

It depends on the stereotype. eg Men are generally stronger than women - but a woman can be stronger than a man. The only thing one gender can do that another cannot is that women give birth. And even then, in seahorses, the male is impregnanted and gives birth.

"Men's work" and "women's work" are stereotypes I would like to challenge. I take out the rubbish. DH washes the pots. Neither job requires gender. I don't need someone to open a door for me, but I'm grateful when they do. Just as they are grateful when I hold a door open for them. I'm raising DS to show consideration for others - which includes opening doors for other people. Not because others cannot, but because taking a second of your life to be kind can sometimes mean a lot to someone else.

I recently bought my little one two pair of trackpants. One i got from the girl section (a grey pair) and one from the boy section (a navy pair). Both pairs were the same brand and same size. However, the boys pants were much warmer and of a bigger cut. The girls pants no longer fit because they were fitted, hugging tighter on the bum and legs while the boys were baggier. These were both size 000! I'm pretty sure babies of this age don't have different size bums based on gender so why do girls have to have clothes that accentuate their bums? And why do boys get warmer, cosier clothes?

If they get gender stereotypes from parents, we fail.

We both take out the garbage.
    We both do the washing.
    We both cook, but not the same meals - we have our specialities.
    We both drive the car.
    We both change nappies.
    Other half generally has baths with the little one, I rarely do - but then I was HUGE and once I was in I couldn't get out
    I wear brown and green. Partner wears purple and pink.
    I have short hair, partner has long hair.
    I do gardening and painting. Partner does heavier stuff like hauling iron around.

DD#1 doesn't really play with toys other than making beds, but DD#2 plays with any and everything. She likes cars and trains. She also likes having dinner. The dolls get used to play out our family. Actually what DD#2 has been doing the most of lately is making books for the baby to read and generally burying the poor thing in toys. Is that gender specific?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12